SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ NOTRE DAME - Saturday

AZSIOUX

Can't be happy with their play yesterday. One official being in the right position away from a tie, and one goaltender away from a loss.

Forget about Friday, go and get a sweep against a good team on the road.

PS: When was the last time before last night that we could say a UND goaltender stole a game? Nice to be on the other side of that one.

• Upvote 1

16 Mark MacMillan–10 Corban Knight–7 Danny Kristo

9 Drake Caggiula–19 Rocco Grimaldi–17 Colten St. Clair

21 Brendan O’Donnell–27 Carter Rowney–13 Connor Gaarder

28 Stephane Pattyn–29 Bryn Chyzyk–11 Derek Rodwell

2 Andrew MacWilliam–5 Nick Mattson

4 Derek Forbort–24 Jordan Schmaltz

18 Dillon Simpson–20 Joe Gleason

31 Zane Gothberg

33 Clarke Saunders

Gothberg in the nets this afternoon.

Hak has always been obsessed with the goalie rotation system, regardless if one of them is playing better than the other. Thus, the puzzling number of splits for our team year after year in the first half. Gothberg has not shown he is ready for this level, while Saunders is showing that his numbers with Alabama-Huntsville were legitimate.

I predict a loss tonight, with one or two soft goals let in by Gothberg. Prove me wrong, kid.

Hak has always been obsessed with the goalie rotation system, regardless if one of them is playing better than the other. Thus, the puzzling number of splits for our team year after year in the first half. Gothberg has not shown he is ready for this level, while Saunders is showing that his numbers with Alabama-Huntsville were legitimate.

I predict a loss tonight, with one or two soft goals let in by Gothberg. Prove me wrong, kid.

Zane is a young quality goalie who IMO should be a spot relief guy for Clark at this point. After playing nightly for Huntsville will little chance to win and facing 40+ SOG I doubt Clark is going to get worn down being this team's go to guy.

The reason they are starting Gothberg is that Hak wants to have two goalies in case one of them gets hurt. But In this case, I would rather see Saunders start...Saunders was a beast last night against the Irish.

Edited by Goon

I kinda like the goalie rotation. We did that in Phil's first two years and both goalies were still "fresh" come Feb/Mar. We didn't do that in his last two years or the first year after he left and Phil and Eids were both tired when Feb/Mar rolled around. I would rather see them rotate now and have them next spring, than have them get tired or hurt now and not have one of them then.

And, in case anyone thinks I am one of those "Fire Hakstol" trolls, Blais had the same fixation with Josh Sievebeida in 2002. He kept putting him in there week after week and he was a sieve week after week. It was enough to drive me to drinking, and I don't drink. :crazy: And no, I am not comparing the two; Gothberg is much more talented and has much more upside. I believe that Gothberg will be a good goaltender in time; I just don't feel confident with him right now.

hard not to agree. like I said earlier it will take 3-4 goals to win this afternoon and they didn't show me anything last night that says they can put that many on the board tonight. in his last two starts gothberg has had two bad periods(3rd against BU and 1st against Duluth) one bad period today and it is game over as we don't have the offensive to overcome that against a really good defensive team.

hard not to agree. like I said earlier it will take 3-4 goals to win this afternoon and they didn't show me anything last night that says they can put that many on the board tonight. in his last two starts gothberg has had two bad periods(3rd against BU and 1st against Duluth) one bad period today and it is game over as we don't have the offensive to overcome that against a really good defensive team.

UND is winning w very good goaltending despite poor D and timely goal scoring due to great individual plays. IMO that isn't a sustainable recipe for consistent winning. We need to tighten up on D and regain our presence in the offensive zone to have a chance in 45 minutes.

UND is winning w very good goaltending despite poor D and timely goal scoring due to great individual plays. IMO that isn't a sustainable recipe. We need to tighten up on D and regain our presence in the offensive zone to have a chance in 45 minutes.

especially getting outshot most games. I don't care what anybody says. getting outshot isn't a good thing on a consistent basis. the more shots you put on net the more opprtunities you have to get lucky bounce or score off a rebound, etc. it will catch up to us sooner or later.

UND is winning w very good goaltending despite poor D and timely goal scoring due to great individual plays. IMO that isn't a sustainable recipe for consistent winning. We need to tighten up on D and regain our presence in the offensive zone to have a chance in 45 minutes.

Exactly. When is the last time that won a team a national championship? Outside of when Alfie Michaud went unconscious for Maine.