SiouxSports.com Forum

Move Hockey Day MN game v. Gophers to the X

Siouxperfan7

With the NHL lockout nowhere near to being resolved, the potential for the NHL season to be cancelled is pretty good. SO what does this have to do with UND hockey you ask?? Currently, UND and Minnesota are scheduled to play January 19th as part of the "Hockey Day Minnesota." They were going to play this game Saturday afternoon, probably around 3 or 3:30, followed by the Wild v. the Penguins after that. I am wondering if the NHL season is cancelled and the Wild won't be playing that day, what the chances are of getting the UND/MN game moved to the Xcel that night. Being that it will be the last WCHA conference game between the two teams, I think that justifies making it a big deal and moving it to a bigger venue. Plus there would be many more fans able to attend this historic last conference meeting. Would be a good idea IMO.

• Upvote 2

With the NHL lockout nowhere near to being resolved, the potential for the NHL season to be cancelled is pretty good. SO what does this have to do with UND hockey you ask?? Currently, UND and Minnesota are scheduled to play January 19th as part of the "Hockey Day Minnesota." They were going to play this game Saturday afternoon, probably around 3 or 3:30, followed by the Wild v. the Penguins after that. I am wondering if the NHL season is cancelled and the Wild won't be playing that day, what the chances are of getting the UND/MN game moved to the Xcel that night. Being that it will be the last WCHA conference game between the two teams, I think that justifies making it a big deal and moving it to a bigger venue. Plus there would be many more fans able to attend this historic last conference meeting. Would be a good idea IMO.

Maybe if they played both games at the "X". Not sure either team would want to go from the large surface one day to the small surface the next. Not sure Minnesota would want to give up the advantage of playing all the time on the large ice surface against UND. But as we saw with Mankato giving up a home game to play at the "X", money talks. The other thing is how do you move non-season ticket holders over that bought specific tickets already for this series?

Very interesting idea. A couple of people before me mentioned a few of the reasons it may not happen. But if it's going to happen, they would have to make a decision in the next few weeks. Switching venues can cause a lot of problems that they would need time to resolve. Ticketing is a huge part of it. They would have to figure out how to place all current ticket holders and exchange the tickets. Then they would have to sell the remaining tickets. A lot of marketing would need to be done to let people know about the different venue. Then there are a bunch of small issues to worry about like transferring equipment, transporting people to a different location, etc. None of the issues are earth shattering, but they have to be figured out and that would take time. They probably need at least a month or more to get it done right.
  • Upvote 1

If they were smart, they would move the entire "Hockey Day Minnesota" event to the X.

How much of the current NHL season has been cancelled to date? Obviously they can't do anything until that date is officially freed up.

Winter Classic was cancelled a few weeks ago...so I assume games in January are being cancelled now as well. However...if they get a deal by mid December, I would hope they would be able to get the season going as soon as possible. I guess the biggest issue with this idea is what day is the cutoff day for the NHL to have a season...and is that day too close to January 19th to be able to switch venues.

Winter Classic was cancelled a few weeks ago...so I assume games in January are being cancelled now as well. However...if they get a deal by mid December, I would hope they would be able to get the season going as soon as possible. I guess the biggest issue with this idea is what day is the cutoff day for the NHL to have a season...and is that day too close to January 19th to be able to switch venues.

I think that they have only cancelled games through November at this point. They will probably look at games in December by next week. There are rumors that they may just cancel the entire season next rather than play around and cancel a few weeks at a time. But if they just cancel December games for the next stage, they may not cancel January games until close to Christmas.

Does anyone know when or if there are any single game tickets left got the Goofers and Sioux or when they go on sale? Dont know if I want to go on CL and get bent over and F**** up the ass for prices from goofer fans. Just saying. Never been would be a fun experience for sure.

Does anyone know when or if there are any single game tickets left got the Goofers and Sioux or when they go on sale? Dont know if I want to go on CL and get bent over and F**** up the ass for prices from goofer fans. Just saying. Never been would be a fun experience for sure.

Good luck. I don't have a clue, but they went on sale a few weeks ago and only had Standing Room Only and when we got ours set up the day prior, our ticket rep said it was gonna be tough ticket to get.

I will be there Saturday! Havent been to the Ralph in over a year. Usually just hit up road games. Hopefully my presence has been what's missing on Saturdays prior. :)

Yeha I will be there both days should be a good series I really think the crowd will be into this one and sweep is in order!

If you read Schlossman's blog today, you see more circumstantial evidence of Lucia's lack of motivation for getting a schedule worked out with UND. When you call the Wisconsin rivalry "a healthy rivalry and not over the top" you know what rivalry he is talking about that he considers over the top. Minnesota fans can claim all they want that Lucia really wants to keep the rivalry going, but his words and actions speak otherwise.

If you read Schlossman's blog today, you see more circumstantial evidence of Lucia's lack of motivation for getting a schedule worked out with UND. When you call the Wisconsin rivalry "a healthy rivalry and not over the top" you know what rivalry he is talking about that he considers over the top. Minnesota fans can claim all they want that Lucia really wants to keep the rivalry going, but his words and actions speak otherwise.

Yet, Gophers can't even sell out the Badger series. They just discounted SRO tickets for this weekend. Guess fans prefer over the top.

Lucia is very pompous/pious.

He will lecture youth coaches about skill dev/practice to game ratio, whine about NHL teams grabbing his players early - and yet he won't blink an eye when his own sons bail on their buddies and HS team for more games/"better" competition.

Not saying leaving early for Jr is always a bad thing - MN kids should think twice though - there is plenty of exposure available and good coaching.

Bugstad, Leddy, Nelson, McDonough, Gardiner, Oshie - just to name a few who developed quite nicely in the MNHS system.

Lucia is a clown. I wonder why UMN-Twin Cities can't sell out their own arena against their "#1 rival, UW" ???? The Big Ten days will really cause attendance drops.

A quick look shows about 40 seats available tonight, all of the being singles and all sold at $55 each. Hardly an attendance issue.

Also, moving the Saturday game to the X would be awesome, but I can't imagine the revenue from the extra 8-10K seats sold would make up for the facilities fee that the X would charge the U.

I couldn't agree more, thought the same thing!

Yet all the goofer homers on here defend lucifer and say he wants the series!

Wonder how they will spin these QUOTES from Lucia?