SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tournament

DMT

Whenever I see Brady around campus he's always smiling and always seems to be having a good time. :D

I can't wait until Monday for the Championship game. The Canadians will probably be favored with all the talent that they have, but this would be the year for the U.S. to pull off the big win, and take home gold. ;)

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait until Monday for the Championship game. The Canadians will probably be favored with all the talent that they have, but this would be the year for the U.S. to pull off the big win, and take home gold. :D

Actually I think the USA is the favorite according to the media.

I would absulutely LOVE to see Murray score the clincher against the Canadians. Their position on NCAA players disgusts me.

Oh gawd! Where does this crap start? This phallacy that Canadian Hockey is somehow out to get NCAA players is ridiculous. Has anyone yet noticed Jeff Tambellini of Michigan is on the Canadian roster? I'm sure you know the names Troy Murray, James Patrick, Geoff Smith, Brad Berry, Jason Herter, Greg Johnson, Brad Bombardir...they also represented Canada at the World Juniors. The list goes on and on and is hardly limited to UND standouts. Mike Van Ryn, who played at Michigan a few years back, was the captain of Team Canada, for crying out loud.

The simple fact of the matter is that Brady was not snubbed by Canadian Hockey. He was invited to the summer evaluation camp by Canadian Hockey. But Team Canada holds tryouts for the final roster, the U.S. does not. Brady was guaranteed a spot on the U.S., so he made the decision he made, which he had every right to do.

As for a couple of other questions in this thread:

No, Olympic-sized ice is not required for this tournament. Winnipeg and Red Deer, Alberta, are a few recent examples of the tournament being held on NHL-size ice.

As far as the start time, the game starts at 11. The 10:30 time given by BWW is the start time for TSN's pre-game show.

The U.S. is scary deep, but it'll likely come down to goaltending and special teams. Should be a beauty!

Oh gawd! Where does this crap start? This phallacy that Canadian Hockey is somehow out to get NCAA players is ridiculous. Has anyone yet noticed Jeff Tambellini of Michigan is on the Canadian roster? I'm sure you know the names Troy Murray, James Patrick, Geoff Smith, Brad Berry, Jason Herter, Greg Johnson, Brad Bombardir...they also represented Canada at the World Juniors. The list goes on and on and is hardly limited to UND standouts. Mike Van Ryn, who played at Michigan a few years back, was the captain of Team Canada, for crying out loud.

The simple fact of the matter is that Brady was not snubbed by Canadian Hockey. He was invited to the summer evaluation camp by Canadian Hockey. But Team Canada holds tryouts for the final roster, the U.S. does not. Brady was guaranteed a spot on the U.S., so he made the decision he made, which he had every right to do.

As for a couple of other questions in this thread:

No, Olympic-sized ice is not required for this tournament. Winnipeg and Red Deer, Alberta, are a few recent examples of the tournament being held on NHL-size ice.

As far as the start time, the game starts at 11. The 10:30 time given by BWW is the start time for TSN's pre-game show.

The U.S. is scary deep, but it'll likely come down to goaltending and special teams. Should be a beauty!

Maybe so, but when those players were on the team, how many NCAA schooled Canadians were on the team along with them?

Were they alone on the team with entirely major juniors like Tambellini is? I mean, Tabellini reaks of token NCAA if you ask me.

And Canuck, Murray was snubbed by Team Canada when everyone here (or nearly everyone here) thought he could have played for them. There has to be resentment for that even if Murray himself harbors none. We are loyal to our players..

If this is true, why didn't Brady make the Canadian team?
Maybe I'm not explaining the situation clearly. This is not a case of Brady "not" making the Canadian Team. He didn't try out! He made the decision to accept Team USA's roster spot rather than attend Team Canada's tryout camp. That's all there is to it.

And Canuck, Murray was snubbed by Team Canada when everyone here (or nearly everyone here) thought he could have played for them.

And exactly how many games has "everyone here" seen of the players who DID make the team? Yes, Brady is a fantastic player. Good enough to skate for Team Canada? Maybe, maybe not. How do you know?

Considering 99.9 of the people around here were completely unfamiliar with the World Junior tourney until it was awarded to GF, I find it incredible that they would have a better handle on who the best Canadian players are than the people who actually select them. Unless someone watches as much Canadian major junior hockey as they do Sioux hockey, saying Brady was snubbed for inferior players (which is basically the argument here) would simply be a baseless assumption.

And the implication that Tambellini is merely a "token selection" is just as bogus. Hockey Canada is concerned with winning a gold medal. Nothing else. Do you honestly think they would waste a roster spot on a "token" NCAA player just to placate God-knows-who?

For the sake of reference, my unofficial count has 40 NCAA players representing Canada at the World Juniors since 1982 (list below). That's roughly two per season, despite the fact that most of the elite Canadian hockey players choose Canadian major junior hockey over the U.S. college ranks.

2004: Jeff Tambellini (Michigan)

2003: David LeNeveu (Cornell)

2002: Mike Cammalleri (Michigan)

2001: Mike Cammalleri (Michigan), Dany Heatley (Wisconsin)

2000: Dany Heatley (Wisconsin), Matt Pettinger (Denver)

1999: Mike Van Ryn (Michigan)

1998: Mike Van Ryn (Michigan)

1996: Jason Botterill (Michigan), Mike Watt (Michigan State)

1995: Jason Botterill (Michigan)

1994: Jason Botterill (Michigan), Anson Carter (Michigan State)

1993: Paul Kariya (Maine), Adrian Aucoin (Boston University)

1992: Brad Bombardir (UND), Paul Kariya (Maine), Ryan Hughes (Cornell)

1991: Greg Johnson (UND), David Harlock (Michigan)

1990: Dwayne Norris (Michigan State), Dan Ratushny (Cornell), Scot Pellerin (Maine), Adrien Plavsic (New Hampshire), Jason Herter (UND)

1989: Rod Brind'Amour (Michigan State), Geoff Smith (UND)

1986: Joe Murphy (Michigan State), Joe Nieuwendyk (Cornell), Scott Mellanby (Wisconsin), Peter Douris (New Hampshire)

1985: Brad Berry (UND), Norm Foster (Michigan State)

1983: Pat Flatley (Wisconsin), Gord Sherven (UND), James Patrick (UND)

1982: Troy Murray (UND), Carey Wilson (Dartmouth), James Patrick (UND)

Anyone know of a cities bar that would carry the game?

I would absulutely LOVE to see Murray score the clincher against the Canadians. Their position on NCAA players disgusts me.

McGoverns next to the excel has NHL Center Ice....I don't know what time they open, I'm assuming they have a lunch menu and will be open by 11..I hope so