SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

They clearly were not playing like the best team before Christmas, but appear to have put it together over the break. The potential difference for them this year is that they do not have a lot of freshmen playing key roles that typically hit the wall about 3/4 of the way through the season. Still, their only major challenge might be to ensure they don't flame out by peaking too early.

Making long-term projections based on short-term trends is very foolish. How many times have we seen a team get red-hot in the middle of the season, only to burn out by playoff time and get bounced by a lower seeded team? It has happened to us and it has happened to Minnesota. I think by March we'll have at least some idea as to which teams are poised for a playoff run and which teams are poised for a flame out.

Making long-term projections based on short-term trends is very foolish.

Right! How many times have I read the Star Tribune or Pioneer Press talk about Minnesota's #1 ranking in October or January...only to hear about the team keeping busy playing 'Call of Duty Black Ops' when other teams are busy playing hockey in March?

• Upvote 3

The thing to keep in mind with this years Gopher team (and last years too I guess) is that they play solid team defense. Much easier for a team to survive an offensive cold snap when you're only giving up 1-2 goals per game.

Very true. I'm biased but there isn't a better d-corp in the nation and Wilcox is a stud. The Gophers are very tough to score on.

Further proof that the 'ranked teams' notation is bs...that #16 Spartan team that Minnesota throttled is currently 5-12-3 on the season.

The only ranking that matter is the one that comes out on Selection Sunday when they pick the teams for the NCAA tourney. The rest are for fun.

I know MN is very good (they are always dominent in the 1st half aren't they?) however, I still think we can win both....If they play very well and the Goofs sleep on them.

I'm sure the Gophers are going to be sleeping on a team ahead of them in the standings... This isn't 05/06 or 06/07, this team has work ethic!

I'm sure the Gophers are going to be sleeping on a team ahead of them in the standings... This isn't 05/06 or 06/07, this team has work ethic!

I'm guessing you meant "aren't". Either way I know the best case scenario is a split....but I'm going out on a limb by saying if they win Friday...they'll get Saturday too (going against the grain a tad I guess).

I'm guessing you meant "aren't". Either way I know the best case scenario is a split....but I'm going out on a limb by saying if they win Friday...they'll get Saturday too (going against the grain a tad I guess).

first things first. we need to get through this weekend. second come next weekend the biggest key to the weekend will be surving the first period on friday night as the goophs have come out rolling the last two games against BC and ND and it was game over after the first in both cases. but like I said we need to get two wins this weekend.

• Upvote 1

[sarcasm]

The Gopher lovefest can be found at www.gopherpucklive.com

I'm sure it can be but my tickets put me in grand forks every weekend (I'm the guy wearing the Gopher jersey in section 106).

[sarcasm]

I'm sure it can be but my tickets put me in grand forks every weekend (I'm the guy wearing the Gopher jersey in section 106).

Good thing about the inter webs is location doesnt stop you from visiting the website with more of your kind!!

You're not gonna find much love for your favorite team here. But that's why you're here, isn't it?

only once in the last 30 plus years has UND gotten 4 points on a weekend at the mooch. I know Hak and the boys have the intention of getting four points but what else are they going to do go in with a mindset of only getting one win? minny will have the purpose of getting four points as well. I'll take a split and run with it.

Good thing about the inter webs is location doesnt stop you from visiting the website with more of your kind!!

You're not gonna find much love for your favorite team here. But that's why you're here, isn't it?

Here because #1 its an entertaining place to help kill time at work and #2 because if I'm going to have tickets to UND hockey I might as well read about the team so I know who to watch for, etc etc.

Is the gopher game on. No updates on chn or wcha.com

Check the BTN.

Michigan State loses to Notre Dame 1-0 at Munn Ice Arena and Michigan is losing 5-3 at home to Alaska. I'd have to do some digging...it's been a long time since Michigan State AND Michigan were not in the NCAA tournament.