SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana State Rivalry Game

MerffCAT33

Just looking to build something with UND fans thats all. As far as CAT/griz (MSU/UM). That rivalry has been in place for over 110 years. Don't know what your definition of "pure" is, but when you are from Montana, you are either CAT or grizz and nothing else. It will be a long time for the MSU/UND game to reach that kind of status with Montanan's. I'm new to this forum, but I guess every "new-guy" can ask a stupid question. How come since UND's move up the UND/NDSU rival hasn't started again?

NDSU fans "think" their pure rival is South Dakota State...but yet there is hardly any mention of them on Bisonville unless its in a game thread, the same with UNI. Its all about UND over there. We are rivals without a football game (football and softball are the only sports UND hasn't played NDSU in since NDSU moved to DI in 2004).

Just looking to build something with UND fans thats all. As far as CAT/griz (MSU/UM). That rivalry has been in place for over 110 years. Don't know what your definition of "pure" is, but when you are from Montana, you are either CAT or grizz and nothing else. It will be a long time for the MSU/UND game to reach that kind of status with Montanan's. I'm new to this forum, but I guess every "new-guy" can ask a stupid question. How come since UND's move up the UND/NDSU rival hasn't started again?

The basic reasons for the UND-NDSU rivalry still being on hold were mentioned. It may help you to know that Johnboy is a NDSU fan. NDSU decided that when they weren't going to play UND any more, they had to create a new rival. They chose a school they had been playing for decades, South Dakota State University, and created a new trophy. They tried to tell everyone that this was going to replace the rivalry with UND. It has become a nice, secondary type rivalry. But many fans from NDSU refuse to admit that their major rival is still UND even though the schools haven't played a football game for several years. And because of that, they are going to make light of any efforts from UND to build up additional rivalries. They don't seem to accept that you can have a main rival, and also have lesser rivals.

UND and MSU have history, and it only makes sense to redevelop that rivalry now that the schools are in the same conference. North Dakota and Montana have a rivalry between the states. I like the idea of playing for something between the schools. Some schools have multiple games each year where they compete for some kind of trophy, like Minnesota has with Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa. UND and MSU have instate rivals that will always be bigger, but I think most UND fans would also welcome a fun rivalry with our friends to the west.

• Upvote 4

NDSU fans "think" their pure rival is South Dakota State...but yet there is hardly any mention of them on Bisonville unless its in a game thread, the same with UNI. Its all about UND over there. We are rivals without a football game (football and softball are the only sports UND hasn't played NDSU in since NDSU moved to DI in 2004).

They played in softball recently I believe. NDSU and SDSU have a nice little rivalry. Pretty good natured. Both moved up together, so in a sense it is a rivalry based on respect. I enjoy it. I think the UNI rivalry is getting bigger and bigger.

Variety of reasons. Both sides point fingers. Ball is in NDSU's court. NDSU is in a position of strength obviously at the moment.

I'm sure building a rivalry with UND in some way would be beneficial(ticket sales, interest, etc.) for both schools.

How come since UND's move up the UND/NDSU rival hasn't started again?

Bottom line on that topic, as far as football goes, is because of Fargo's Athetic Director.............................

North Dakota initially declined to agree to a propsal offered by Fargo's A.D. back in 2004 due to DII playoff implications..................

Two seasons later, and every year since, North Dakota has offered to resume the games with Fargo, all proposals of which their A.D. has continued to decline.....................

This has been going on for 9 years now................

The rivalry game will likely resume shortly after the employment of Fargo's A.D. ends........................

• Upvote 3

That's the bizarro world version put forth by NDSU fans. The actual reason the rivalry hasn't started again is due to NDSU's whiny crybaby of an AD (Gene Taylor). Gene got incredibly butthurt when UND wouldn't schedule the Bison when they first moved up. Since then their has been numerous attempts by UND to re-start the rivalry on favorable terms to NDSU (first game in Fargo, every other season) but every time they get close Gene Taylor moves the goalposts. It will get re-started when NDSU finally decides that having an AD that behaves like a child isn't a good thing for the university. This will happen sooner than Bison fans think, especially since the dickless loser had to issue a state-wide apology this past week for his startling ineptitude in handling the election fraud charges against the Bison FB players.

This...^^^^^^^

Whiskey Joe gave GT a very long leash. From comments and pressers sounds like Deano might be getting tired of GT's antics to some extent.

They played in softball recently I believe. NDSU and SDSU have a nice little rivalry. Pretty good natured. Both moved up together, so in a sense it is a rivalry based on respect. I enjoy it. I think the UNI rivalry is getting bigger and bigger.

Variety of reasons. Both sides point fingers. Ball is in NDSU's court. NDSU is in a position of strength obviously at the moment.

I'm sure building a rivalry with UND in some way would be beneficial(ticket sales, interest, etc.) for both schools.

Not really. UND found out they don't need the NDSU game they can schedule other Big Sky teams as OOC. NDSU had to schedule PV at the last minute. I cannot wait until GT is forced to pull an UNI and schedule a DII team because he declines to schedule UND.

Well if you guys are willing to give up top recruits outa Beach, I guess we could pony-up our 5-star recruits outa Wibaux! In case there are some of you over on the east side of NoDak wondering where (Wee-Bo) is, Wibaux is the Montana suburb of Beach. And I still think The "Bakken Battle" is a sweet name.

Skip Wibaux....give us exclusive rights to your recruits in Baker and we have a deal!

Not really. UND found out they don't need the NDSU game they can schedule other Big Sky teams as OOC. NDSU had to schedule PV at the last minute. I cannot wait until GT is forced to pull an UNI and schedule a DII team because he declines to schedule UND.

We'll see who schedules a DII team first - does this year count?

Haven't I read on here about a billion times that Faison sent Gene another contract? Sometime this year? After UND's OOC Big Sky games were scheduled? Wouldn't that mean the ball is in NDSU's court as to when/if a game during the regular season happens?

I believe our OOC's are pretty well set up for the next couple seasons. Need a couple of games for 2015-2016, one of which will probably be FBS(not hard to find).

Or we can have a und ndsu game in ooc play and have the winner gain a huge playoff resume win

At this point in time I'm not sure what NDSU's resume would gain. ;)

Don't trash the marker, makes sense for a trophy between the Dakota's. Oil related works IMO. Only problem is it will be tough considering MSU has UM and UND is kinda stuck in no-man's-land as far as a pure rival goes. Those form though based on competition(see NDSU/UNI and other similar ones.)

And SDSU now has USD back so I would say NDSU is not their number #1 rival anymore. It was a rivalry by default when both teams went D1. UNI is a good rival to NDSU but it's not a great state rivalry cause nobody in Iowa gives 2 $hits about UNI.

We'll see who schedules a DII team first - does this year count?

That game was scheduled before we joined the BSC, where UNI had to pick either DII or a 10 game schedule. NDSU was running low on FCS teams and managed to pick PV. I guess PV needed money (and a butt-kicking to match).

Haven't I read on here about a billion times that Faison sent Gene another contract? Sometime this year? After UND's OOC Big Sky games were scheduled? Wouldn't that mean the ball is in NDSU's court as to when/if a game during the regular season happens?

I believe our OOC's are pretty well set up for the next couple seasons. Need a couple of games for 2015-2016, one of which will probably be FBS(not hard to find).

At this point in time I'm not sure what NDSU's resume would gain. ;)

Funny how Faison said the earliest we could play is 2015. If the rumors of UND playing USD is true in 2014 our schedule is full in 2013 and 2014. Not like NDSU would get UND since they require 6 home games no matter what. What NDSU's resume would gain would be a loss to a Big Sky team that could or could not be ranked. But I guess your resume is better with St. Francis, Wagner, and Prairie View.

Funny how Faison said the earliest we could play is 2015. If the rumors of UND playing USD is true in 2014 our schedule is full in 2013 and 2014. Not like NDSU would get UND since they require 6 home games no matter what. What NDSU's resume would gain would be a loss to a Big Sky team that could or could not be ranked. But I guess your resume is better with St. Francis, Wagner, and Prairie View

Seriously Darell? They've beaten 9 straight ranked opponents, win vs fbs opponents more than they lose, haven't lost a game in more than a year, and sprinkle in the national title on top of it...you have a problem with their resume?

This is why I hate this discussion. Fans having to resort to extraordinarily weak arguments as to why the ac needs to play UND. Sadly, either GT goes, or the program hits another low point, but the time where the ac needs to play UND could be a while. It feels like 1984 all over again.

edit: or maybe you are just baiting the ac trolls?

• Upvote 2

Funny how Faison said the earliest we could play is 2015. If the rumors of UND playing USD is true in 2014 our schedule is full in 2013 and 2014. Not like NDSU would get UND since they require 6 home games no matter what. What NDSU's resume would gain would be a loss to a Big Sky team that could or could not be ranked. But I guess your resume is better with St. Francis, Wagner, and Prairie View.

Resume will have Montana and Montana State games. Quality OOC as far as I'm concerned.

Seriously Darell? They've beaten 9 straight ranked opponents, win vs fbs opponents more than they lose, haven't lost a game in more than a year, and sprinkle in the national title on top of it...you have a problem with their resume?

This is why I hate this discussion. Fans having to resort to extraordinarily weak arguments as to why the ac needs to play UND. Sadly, either GT goes, or the program hits another low point, but the time where the ac needs to play UND could be a while. It feels like 1984 all over again.

So you are saying their resume is better with OOC games against week ass FCS teams (RMU, PV) than putting UND on the schedule? They do have UM and MSU coming up which for their out of transition history is a miracle Gene actually grew a pair and signed the contract with them. I have no idea what the 1984 comment is about?