SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 5 Already? vs Cal Poly

geaux_sioux

Don't try and pigeonhole what I've said into fitting your argument. I didn't say this logic applies to all conferences everywhere, all conferences are different. Historically Montana is the only consistent playoff contender from the Big Sky. There isn't another conference anywhere that has been dominated the way Montana has dominated the Big Sky. They are without a doubt the class of the conference and nobody even comes close to them.

The MVFC is very different, especially in the past few years. Illinois State is a playoff caliber team, Indiana State as well. UNI is a damn good team with a crappy record because they have played an extremely difficult schedule. YSU also looks to be making a resurgence these past few years.

I know you guys are mad because it is a Bison fan pointing it out. But have a look over at AGS, I am not the only one who feels the Big Sky is down this year. Everyone, including Montana and Montana State fans are talking about it.

Doesn't Indiana State have to actually accomplish something before you reference them as a "playoff caliber team"? They just lost at home to the bunnies in a game where Bell was out rushed by the bunnies' backup running back. Yes, very impressive indeed. Then again, the bunnies did beat a Big Sky team. Maybe that makes them "playoff caliber".

16 conference championships in 25 years by UNI isn't dominate? Guess what, that is the same that Montana has won in that same time frame.

And the facts of the last few years don't back up Illinois State and Indiana State as playoff caliber teams. Illinois State hasn't made the playoffs since 2006 and Indiana State haven't made the playoffs since 1984.

Anyone who follows FCS football knows Illinois State got screwed out of a playoff spot last year.

Again, what does this have to do with my comment that the Big Sky is down?

Anyone who follows FCS football knows Illinois State got screwed out of a playoff spot last year.

Again, what does this have to do with my comment that the Big Sky is down?

This:

Historically Montana is the only consistent playoff contender from the Big Sky. There isn't another conference anywhere that has been dominated the way Montana has dominated the Big Sky. They are without a doubt the class of the conference and nobody even comes close to them.

The MVFC is very different, especially in the past few years. Illinois State is a playoff caliber team, Indiana State as well. UNI is a damn good team with a crappy record because they have played an extremely difficult schedule. YSU also looks to be making a resurgence these past few years.

How is it very different? You say Montana has dominated the conference. Yet they have the same amount of conference championships as UNI. How is that different? And whether Illinois State got screwed out of the playoffs, that would be one appearance since 2006 for them and none since 1984 for Indiana State. Almost making the playoffs last year doesn't make you a playoff quality team 3 or 4 weeks into the season. And because you think Indiana State is good doesn't make the playoff quality either.

This:

How is it very different? You say Montana has dominated the conference. Yet they have the same amount of conference championships as UNI. How is that different? And whether Illinois State got screwed out of the playoffs, that would be one appearance since 2006 for them and none since 1984 for Indiana State. Almost making the playoffs last year doesn't make you a playoff quality team 3 or 4 weeks into the season. And because you think Indiana State is good doesn't make the playoff quality either.

Fine, I'll play along.

I say that Montana has dominated the conference and now they are down this year, making them easier to beat.

UNI isn't down this year based on the team I have watched. Yes they have a poor record, but I hope we can agree that is due to the tough schedule. Especially if you actually watched those games instead of just looking at the box score.

Doesn't Indiana State have to actually accomplish something before you reference them as a "playoff caliber team"? They just lost at home to the bunnies in a game where Bell was out rushed by the bunnies' backup running back. Yes, very impressive indeed. Then again, the bunnies did beat a Big Sky team. Maybe that makes them "playoff caliber".

Saying Indiana state is a playoff caliber team, was a bit much I agree. Much improved from previous year we'll say.

Fine, I'll play along.

I say that Montana has dominated the conference and now they are down this year, making them easier to beat.

UNI isn't down this year based on the team I have watched. Yes they have a poor record, but I hope we can agree that is due to the tough schedule. Especially if you actually watched those games instead of just looking at the box score.

My point was only that the Big Sky and the MVFC aren't completely different like everyone (not only you) keeps saying. Both have teams that have historically dominated the conference. Both have a handful of middle of the road teams that are near the top every now and then. I'm not ready to say UNI isn't down. They are 0-1 against teams at their level, a YSU team that looks to be pretty good. Not ready to make a comment on Montana either. They are 2-2 with one loss traveling across the country to App State (who may or may not be having an off year as well) and a loss to NAU, who has a win at FBS UNLV. I think it is pretty early to be debating who is down and who isn't.

My point was only that the Big Sky and the MVFC aren't completely different like everyone (not only you) keeps saying. Both have teams that have historically dominated the conference. Both have a handful of middle of the road teams that are near the top every now and then. I'm not ready to say UNI isn't down. They are 0-1 against teams at their level, a YSU team that looks to be pretty good. Not ready to make a comment on Montana either. They are 2-2 with one loss traveling across the country to App State (who may or may not be having an off year as well) and a loss to NAU, who has a win at FBS UNLV. I think it is pretty early to be debating who is down and who isn't.

Fair enough, but I make my observations based on watching teams play not on their records. I watched UNI play both FBS games and they looked damn good to me. I watched App St. vs. Montana on Espn 3 and was not impressed in the slightest with either team, obviously with Montana losing they looked worse than App.

If you want to wait until the end of the season to say one way or another that's fine, but I feel pretty confident in saying that Montana won't make the playoffs this year and it won't be because of an increased difficulty in scheduling.

Fair enough, but I make my observations based on watching teams play not on their records. I watched UNI play both FBS games and they looked damn good to me. I watched App St. vs. Montana on Espn 3 and was not impressed in the slightest with either team, obviously with Montana losing they looked worse than App.

If you want to wait until the end of the season to say one way or another that's fine, but I feel pretty confident in saying that Montana won't make the playoffs this year and it won't be because of an increased difficulty in scheduling.

Did you also notice how bad Iowa and Wisconsin are this year? Not saying they are terrible but they are WAY DOWN from where they have been in previous years. A woeful Central Michigan team just beat Iowa in Iowa City. Since you base your opinion on watching games, I thought you would factor that in.

Did you also notice how bad Iowa and Wisconsin are this year? Not saying they are terrible but they are WAY DOWN from where they have been in previous years. A woeful Central Michigan team just beat Iowa in Iowa City. Since you base your opinion on watching games, I thought you would factor that in.

I did notice. I also noticed they have a Big Ten logo on their chests when they play.

What is that supposed to mean? How many wins over Big Ten teams does the FCS have?

Down year or up year the Big Ten is a BCS conference and beating one of their conference members is damn impressive.

The B1G is a terrible conference compared to the past. The ACC has way better teams at the top, and the SEC would eat any of them alive. There is a reason that B1G teams play in the championship bowl alot and that is because of the past, their teams get overrated and then spanked by an SEC school (same with the Big 12). The entire B1G has been down for around 10 years.

The B1G is a terrible conference compared to the past. The ACC has way better teams at the top, and the SEC would eat any of them alive. There is a reason that B1G teams play in the championship bowl alot and that is because of the past, their teams get overrated and then spanked by an SEC school (same with the Big 12). The entire B1G has been down for around 10 years.

You guys just can't help yourself but to disagree with anyone who has Bison in their name even if you don't even know what you are arguing for.

Read what we are talking about. Then decide if you want to discuss it further.

You guys just can't help yourself but to disagree with anyone who has Bison in their name even if you don't even know what you are arguing for.

Read what we are talking about. Then decide if you want to discuss it further.

Just like how UND fans are treated on Bisonville.