SiouxSports.com Forum

Eight Bison football players charged

darell1976

At Kiwanis in DL yesterday noon one of the former AC All-Americans (who went on to a very successful career in the NFL) stated: "Beck picked a fight with this guy earlier and got his ass kicked. He then came back and kicked this guys ass". I wasn't at that table but I would have wanted to ask if the first fight was the same night as the second fight. Beck has a problem with alcohol. When one misses work, gets in fights, gets multiple DUI's etc those are red flags. He has 2 or 3 and should have a chemical/alcohol dependency eval and appropriate treatment. I would predict the judge will recommend that and anger management. You can't criticize Bohl on this he immediately suspended the kid. I am curious to know if our AC friend at kiwanis has this story correct.

It used to be entertaining over the years to read about their repeated offenses because there is indeed a different culture at the AC with regards to athletics. These things do happen at both schools but I believe their lead in these problems are almost as lopsided as UND's lead over them in the FB series). This has become a reflection on their school but also on college athletics. Most people don't give a rats ass if you play for the AC, or UND for that matter. They don't want to be bothered by dumb asses who think they are heroes cuz some media folks or fans make them out to be. They can sit in a bar and some "jock sniffer" will buy them dirnks and remind them of some great play or hit during their storied careers. That makes them feel entitiled and important.They played FB and its a game. They aren't heroes. They didn't face bullets or IED's in the middle east or pull some kid out of a burning building. They act just a stupid as the dumb ass fans who want to hang out with them or be near them.

Having said that this kid hasn't been convicted of anything. Give him his day in court. If the other guy picked the fight and attacked him first I would not suspend him from the team. He should be allowed to defend himself. You should avoid fights but if you fight you need to be willing to do whatever it takes to survive and that means putting the opponent down. You don't want to drill someone and start walking away and get knifed in the back. This kid is not a convicted felon he is accused of a felony. Criticize the AC for past issues, but they suspended the kid for what he is accused of and that is what UND would have done. Sometimes we later learn the rest of the story. This did not warrant the splash on the front page either. The administration at the AC and the media in Fargo need to realize that the improtant things in life are bigger than winning or losing college FB games. This kids offenses warranted a small report on the sports page or the city blotter.

Phil Hansen can not be trusted! :lol:

Beck lost round one, came back and won round two. Hoping that his lawyer wins him round three. Being totally serious in my estimate I'd say its 50/50 whether Beck lines up for the Bison next season. With what we've seen before he could maybe not miss a down.

#taylorhe'savictim#

Law enforcement is infallible in your world? You must not know many defense attorneys.

Well, when we need a recommendation for a defense attorney in the state of North Dakota, all we need to do is turn to the Ag College's football team for THAT information.

Well, when we need a recommendation for a defense attorney in the state of North Dakota, all we need to do is turn to the Ag College's football team for THAT information.

Keeping the law industry afloat. Just doing our part to stimulate the economy. Where's the gratitude?

I'm sure the law school at the University of North Dakota is eternally grateful. ;)

Exactly, the taxpayers of the fine state of ND should be happy the two Universities are complementing each other so well. Damn the forum for not running with that angle.

Congrats NDSU on making the news on ESPN.com!!!!

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9363390/north-dakota-state-lb-charged-aggravated-assault

Old Craig Bohl formula.... Weak FBS team + FCS Cupcakes = National Title

New Craig Bohl formula... football players breaking the law + no suspension = National Title

Odds are Beck somehow gets to play this year even if found guilty.

http://espn.go.com/c...ravated-assault

New Craig Bohl formula... football players breaking the law + no suspension = National Title

Guilty of what though?

http://espn.go.com/c...ravated-assault

If Beck is found guilty, I doubt he will be playing this season.

Look at the history how SU handles their football players breaking the law compared to their "minor" sports.

No, I'm asking you if it does indeed play out that way, will you believe that is fine or will you think they let him off the hook too easy?

No, I'm asking you if it does indeed play out that way, will you believe that is fine or will you think they let him off the hook too easy?

Since he is a football player they are held to a higher standard so a big fine maybe some jail time during the offseason but by conference play he will be back on the field, especially if SU starts dropping games.

Since he is a football player they are held to a higher standard so a big fine maybe some jail time during the offseason but by conference play he will be back on the field, especially if SU starts dropping games.

:) Are you avoiding the question on purpose?

I'll bite - if he plays all games without suspension after getting his second resisting arrest conviction, I would say that is NOT fine, and would suggest he got off too easy.

It would be the same as if one of my employees made the papers multiple times with their illegal shenanigans and the company name was mentioned every time. That is a bad representation of the company, directly affects image and ultimately profitability. There would definitely have to be consequences in order for my company to save face.

If I'm NDSU, I wouldn't be happy that this outstanding athlete is putting us in this bad media spot yet again. I would expect some sort of suspension for any type of conviction.

If nothing happens, I'll enjoy "Beck-gate" as much as last year's "Petition-gate" and "Wardrobe malcunction at West Acres-gate". It really never gets old. :p

I am looking for you to opine on the possible scenarios, not say why they would happen based on the history. Airmail gave the answer I was looking for.

What's wrong with history...it repeats itself.

...and my guess is NDSU will then act like nothing happened. Not even the running from the cops and resisting arrest.

It's still the offseason for 2 more months which is the next Bison player to break the law?