SiouxSports.com Forum

Sanford Gives 20 Million to USD for Basketball/Sports Med

Matt

We haven't been able to fill the seats we do have. North Dakota doesn't need to even consider a new building until we sell out on a yearly basis. Personally I would have prefored to stay with the outdoor statdium to begin with, but now that we have the indoor field we need to prove we can even fill it up every year. Once we do we should change it to the basketball arena. It would already be ready, and it could hold the big games.

We haven't been able to fill the seats we do have. North Dakota doesn't need to even consider a new building until we sell out on a yearly basis. Personally I would have prefored to stay with the outdoor statdium to begin with, but now that we have the indoor field we need to prove we can even fill it up every year. Once we do we should change it to the basketball arena. It would already be ready, and it could hold the big games.

I don't want the setup for UND basketball to be like what they got at the Dakota dome. Horrible setup. Basketball is fine for now in the Betty. If it outgrows that, the Ralph is the next best option.

• Upvote 1

Mr. Sanford won't be around forever. UND should not sell it's soul to what could hurt the school down the road. Devil is in the details right. The empire Sanford Medical is building is based out of Sioux Falls correct. Fargo , Bismarck ect will in the future have ther medical decisions come out of Sioux Falls. The next CEO or one in the future may not be so generous. Maybe big job loses in these communities. Remember Bobcat.

Having corporations based in your community is a good thing. Altru is helping GF and I see no reason that they would not continue to do so. Let's stick with a sure thing. We don't need any Snidley Whiplashes draining our community of jobs.

It actually does not include the naming rights. That is a pretty big donation to not slap your name on it.

Great move on USD's part. Now they can use the naming rights to fish around for another sizable donation

If you really want to get monied naming rights, go beyond Sanford Health and look at First Premier Bank, although I don't believe he's actively involved in its daily operations today.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/Boarddocs/Press/enforcement/2003/20030925/default.htm

Denny Sanford doesn't involve himself in the Sanford stuff other than writing big checks to them. His only big requests are to make some advances in breast cancer research and wants a cure to Type 1 Diabetes I believe.

anyone have evidence that UND has been offered money from Sanford?

Also I believe Sanford is now based out of fargo, as a condition of the Sanford/Meritcare merger.

There's a difference between having your name on everything in sight and being a world-regarded medical institution.

Signed,

The Mayo Brothers

Didn't mayo just align with altru? Altru is a pretty poor hospital imo.

Of course that's probably why its not named Mayo, so maybe you do have a point.

Also I believe Sanford is now based out of fargo, as a condition of the Sanford/Meritcare merger.

Sanford is based out of Sioux Falls and Fargo I believe.

Didn't mayo just align with altru? Altru is a pretty poor hospital imo.

Of course that's probably why its not named Mayo, so maybe you do have a point.

I think I will trust Mayo's opinion on what is a poor hospital and what is a good hospital. Mayo isn't going to align themselves with a poor hospital and let that hospital advertise that it is affiliated with Mayo. They especially wouldn't pick that hospital to be the first to officially align themselves with Mayo if it were a poor hospital. The Mayo affiliation speaks volumes all by itself.

Sanford did make an offer to UND. I don't remember the details for sure, but I believe it was similar to what they have given NDSU. The offer included too many strings for UND. Among the strings were the fact that Sanford basically wanted to take over treating the UND athletes. That would mean transporting a lot of injured athletes to Fargo for treatment. They also wanted more naming rights than UND thought was worth the donation. The proposed donation may have had some strings for the Med school also. So, UND wasn't interested in the terms that Sanford was offering, whether Altru made a donation or not.

It's been reported that Sanford must be approached by someone for a "partnership". They don't take a predatory role in these mergers. Take MedcenterOne for example. They were in talks with Sanford several years ago, but broke down because, among other things, Medcenter didn't want to give up their name. Medcenter reconsidered years later, approached Sanford, and here we are. The string attached to funding a state of the art children's hospital is that it, understandably, will be called Sanford, not MedcenterOne.

Likewise, should UND approach Sanford tomorrow, it wouldn't surprise me to find out on Sept 1st that the new Sanford indoor practice facility will break ground in the spring.

It's been reported that Sanford must be approached by someone for a "partnership". They don't take a predatory role in these mergers. Take MedcenterOne for example. They were in talks with Sanford several years ago, but broke down because, among other things, Medcenter didn't want to give up their name. Medcenter reconsidered years later, approached Sanford, and here we are. The string attached to funding a state of the art children's hospital is that it, understandably, will be called Sanford, not MedcenterOne.

Likewise, should UND approach Sanford tomorrow, it wouldn't surprise me to find out on Sept 1st that the new Sanford indoor practice facility will break ground in the spring.

UND and Sanford have had the discussions. Sanford wanted more than UND was willing to give in return for the money. As I mentioned above, one of the big things was that Sanford had to provide all treatment of athletes. Since the only Sanford facility in town is a small clinic in East Grand Forks, that would be difficult and very inconvenient for UND. Also, Sanford wanted to get involved with the UND Med school as a part of that donation.

Sanford has also approached Altru about some kind of purchase or partnership. Altru told them that they wanted to retain independent, local control. Sanford does not just wait for others to approach them. They take an active role in expansion. They do not just wait for others to approach them. They have a plan for expansion and are following that plan.

• Upvote 1