SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

I hope Bubba and Schmidt can figure it out sooner than later. This league that they are going into are some of the best players at the level and if you dont recruit the area where you are playing these kids, it will get interesting. Also, THEY ARE RUNNING THE SAME DEFENSE AS THE LAST STAFF RAN AND LOOK WHERE THAT GOT THE LAST STAFF?? You have to be able to adjust to the time and be willing to do things to put the best product on the field. I hope they find a QB because the big sky is a QB league and you have to score. How many guys are coming back that actually scored a TD last year?!

I hope Bubba and Schmidt can figure it out sooner than later. This league that they are going into are some of the best players at the level and if you dont recruit the area where you are playing these kids, it will get interesting. Also, THEY ARE RUNNING THE SAME DEFENSE AS THE LAST STAFF RAN AND LOOK WHERE THAT GOT THE LAST STAFF?? You have to be able to adjust to the time and be willing to do things to put the best product on the field. I hope they find a QB because the big sky is a QB league and you have to score. How many guys are coming back that actually scored a TD last year?!

Buzz Killington

• Upvote 2

Another item to note within this - there is a WR prospect at Brother rice (2 star) that is committed to Saginaw Valley, and CC said "You next" and he said "we shall see". I might be looking more into this than there is, but does UND have interest there (thus potentially moving Brandon Walker to DB)? Maybe just thinking out loud.

EDIT: WR name is Damaris Woods.

D Woods is a true route runner 6'5 and great hands!!

If you can't tackle then scheme doesn't matter. We sucked at the basics last year

You done?

If you can't tackle then scheme doesn't matter. We sucked at the basics last year

you are on to something. I hope it can change this year. Better players make you a better coach everyday of the week. The problem (which is unfortunate) there are better football on the coasts then in our neck of the woods.

you are on to something. I hope it can change this year. Better players make you a better coach everyday of the week. The problem (which is unfortunate) there are better football on the coasts then in our neck of the woods.

There is also more competition for the recruits. There are enough talented players close to home to be competitive. We dropped a ton of passes and couldn't tackle last year, we also couldn't block or bring pressure. Those were all coaching problems, fix them and we will be fine next year

I hope Bubba and Schmidt can figure it out sooner than later. This league that they are going into are some of the best players at the level and if you dont recruit the area where you are playing these kids, it will get interesting.

Not entirely sure what you're trying to say here, but as our sisters to the south are fond of saying, the MVFC (and the MVFC area players) have done pretty well against BSC teams in recent years (unfortunately).

Also, THEY ARE RUNNING THE SAME DEFENSE AS THE LAST STAFF RAN AND LOOK WHERE THAT GOT THE LAST STAFF?? You have to be able to adjust to the time and be willing to do things to put the best product on the field.

A valid concern. Hopefully with adequate talent in place and an obviously better coaching staff, those systems will work.

I hope they find a QB because the big sky is a QB league and you have to score.

We have 2 sophomore QBs, both of whom show potential, 1 who showed himself very capable as the season progressed and he received more opportunity last year. We also have one of the best MN QB prospects committed this year.

The problem (which is unfortunate) there are better football on the coasts then in our neck of the woods.

Yes, this has been proven by the winners of the last 3 FCS championships.

Note: If your goal in coming here was to get people to admit that ndsu has had a very good football team the past few years, congratulations.

There is also more competition for the recruits. There are enough talented players close to home to be competitive. We dropped a ton of passes and couldn't tackle last year, we also couldn't block or bring pressure. Those were all coaching problems, fix them and we will be fine next year

really think there is enough talent in the upper midwest as appose the west coast. the other part of coaching is the players have to have the talent to execute what is being teached! You do have a point though. fix them and you will beat weber and northern colorado

While you bring up valid points that the Big Sky is a top FCS conference in terms of talent and that you need a quarterback to win a lot of games, the rest of this post is pretty silly. First off, Bubba and Schmidt came from the Missouri Valley Football Conference where they saw some pretty tough competition themselves. And it's just silly to say not recruiting the western states will result in a lack of success. Considering the lack of DI schools in North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, it would be foolish to ignore the talent and potential in those states. A lot of that talent is actually FBS capable, but it just slips through the cracks. Add in Illinois and Michigan, and that is a very talent-rich area. Also, the kids from those states understand and appreciate the Midwest. Local recruiting is an area where Mussman's staff struggled; they tried to recruit California and Arizona, but in the process they missed out on talented Midwest kids. Why not let the other Big Sky schools duke it out for all the California kids while we prosper in the Midwest?

Also, Bubba and Schmidt will run a slightly different defensive scheme. But, more importantly, they will fill that scheme with better players. Heck, we're already seeing that this recruiting season. And don't feast too much on the stereotypes of the Big Sky - if you can run the ball and play solid defense, you can win the Big Sky Conference. In actuality, a solid defense and running game could be the unique Big Sky philosophy we end up developing and utilizing to our advantage.

Stay tuned Realguy 21, Coach Schweigert & staff will steadily improve this team.

really think there is enough talent in the upper midwest as appose the west coast. the other part of coaching is the players have to have the talent to execute what is being teached! You do have a point though. fix them and you will beat weber and northern colorado

Those are conference games we need to win so yes....it starts and ends at home. We need skill players from those areas but the hogs need to come from our own backyard.

Not entirely sure what you're trying to say here, but as our sisters to the south are fond of saying, the MVFC (and the MVFC area players) have done pretty well against BSC teams in recent years (unfortunately).

A valid concern. Hopefully with adequate talent in place and an obviously better coaching staff, those systems will work.

We have 2 sophomore QBs, both of whom show potential, 1 who showed himself very capable as the season progressed and he received more opportunity last year. We also have one of the best MN QB prospects committed this year.

Yes, this has been proven by the winners of the last 3 FCS championships.

Note: If your goal in coming here was to get people to admit that ndsu has had a very good football team the past few years, congratulations.

not my intention, just pointing out the facts. true with the 3 fcs championship but they havent played a team from the big sky at anytime during that run. plus they can do a little bit better in midwest recruiting because their conference is in the midwest as to und which is a midwest school in the a west coast conference.

While you bring up valid points that the Big Sky is a top FCS conference in terms of talent and that you need a quarterback to win a lot of games, the rest of this post is pretty silly. First off, Bubba and Schmidt came from the Missouri Valley Football Conference where they saw some pretty tough competition themselves. And it's just silly to say not recruiting the western states will result in a lack of success. Considering the lack of DI schools in North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, it would be foolish to ignore the talent and potential in those states. A lot of that talent is actually FBS capable, but it just slips through the cracks. Add in Illinois and Michigan, and that is a very talent-rich area. Also, the kids from those states understand and appreciate the Midwest. Local recruiting is an area where Mussman's staff struggled; they tried to recruit California and Arizona, but in the process they missed out on talented Midwest kids. Why not let the other Big Sky schools duke it out for all the California kids while we prosper in the Midwest?

Also, Bubba and Schmidt will run a slightly different defensive scheme. But, more importantly, they will fill that scheme with better players. Heck, we're already seeing that this recruiting season. And don't feast too much on the stereotypes of the Big Sky - if you can run the ball and play solid defense, you can win the Big Sky Conference. In actuality, a solid defense and running game could be the unique Big Sky philosophy we end up developing and utilizing to our advantage.

Stay tuned Realguy 21, Coach Schweigert & staff will steadily improve this team.

good points, question though, how many times did und rush for over 100 yds vs. big sky competition and number 2 und and siu ran the same defense, how will that change without changing personnel? Remember und lost to sdsu by 7 points and they were not very good. no speed. This is version of division 1 football. I will stay tune because I can see where this may go. I hope Im wrong