SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

I don't disagree with your point. I do think that the regional landscape for D2 vs FCS recruiting is much, much different today than a decade ago. That's obvious, isn't it? When UND, NDSU, SDSU, and USD were all D2 programs and UNI was the nearest FCS/D1AA program, the meaning of a kid being "overlooked" by FCS/D1AA was much different than it is today.

Very good point. There were zero FCS programs recruiting the ND players of the 80's and 90's. It was D2 country.

So what happened back then? Players that got passed over by UND/NDSU and ended up going to Mary or Dickinson State, etc. Same scenario.

However, if Wilkie is successful at SW (and we have no idea at this point), I'll reiterate it would neither be the first time nor the last that multiple FCS programs "missed the boat" on a d2 player (see the names I referenced earlier).

So if he does well at SW then that means he would have done well at UND in the BSC or SDSU and NDSU in the MVFC? Does that mean Alabama and the rest of the SEC "missed the boat" on Brock Jensen since he did so well in Fargo at a level lower than FBS? Flawed reasoning and logic in my opinion.

So if he does well at SW then that means he would have done well at UND in the BSC or SDSU and NDSU in the MVFC? Does that mean Alabama and the rest of the SEC "missed the boat" on Brock Jensen since he did so well in Fargo at a level lower than FBS? Flawed reasoning and logic in my opinion.

You're making it too complicated. If he's a player there, everyone will see it.

Similarly, I know what type of d2 player Shannon Burnell was. Does that guarantee success at FCS? Certainly not. But that doesn't stop me from wishing he were on the UND roster today.

Flawed logic and all.

Wilke will probably redshirt before playing for the Stangs, they have a pretty well entrenched starter in Kern and an amazing tailback in Tonderum. After next year he should start all 4 years and when Sauter get done with him he might go down as the best QB SMSU has ever had.

I guess that is what happens when you make the post-season and win 7 games in the NSIC. If they can find something of a defense next year they might be a sleeper to win the conference

• Upvote 1

I wish him all the best at SMSU and am sure he will have a great career, but still would like to see him in green. From what I have read so far, there seems to be many that do not think he has the talent to play at the FCS level, but I respectfully disagree. Since I live in the Twin Cities, I attend many high school football games each fall (16 games this past season) and follow many kids closely. I am sure people would argue with my assessments, but there are many kids each year that I think we should offer that have not received anything from us, including a PWO and others that we have offered that didn't impress me.

it will be interesting to see how well the new coaching staff can retain their scholared recruits. there at least seems to be a more committed mentality at getting more local kids. if you take a look at the whole picture, it seems one could field as good of a team if we have a higher percentage of kids that will give us five yeas and commit to our program vs. az, ca, fla kids that take a couple of years worth of our scholarship funds then decide, for whatever reason, that und is not for them. jmho.

• Upvote 1

it will be interesting to see how well the new coaching staff can retain their scholared recruits. there at least seems to be a more committed mentality at getting more local kids. if you take a look at the whole picture, it seems one could field as good of a team if we have a higher percentage of kids that will give us five yeas and commit to our program vs. az, ca, fla kids that take a couple of years worth of our scholarship funds then decide, for whatever reason, that und is not for them. jmho.

Agreed!!!

I have always been a believer in recruiting locally first. But I'm a ND transplant and can say that the talent level here in MN at the average high school is much higher than in ND. I've been able to see a lot of the high profile seniors play this year and it's a little upsetting that we haven't done more with this class. If you look online, this 2014 class is loaded with FBS and FCS offers. Many of whom UND didn't offer (not saying they're missing out but when everyone else offers, we probably should too.)

Now..... as far as the QB spot goes, Connor Wilkie and Jaques Perra are the top two QBs in Minnesota. (Neither of which UND offered) Not sure if we offered either PWOs but Perra has a PWO from the Gophers and a scholarship offer from USD. So if you want to go the route of "No one else has offered so why should we?" you must also understand that there are many kids across the river we're not taking in.

Highlight film aside, both of these guys could play at UND and having seen Keaton play this past September, I don't think he is the top recruit at his position in MN. He runs better than the other two, but he lacks their arm strength. Depends on what type of offense Bubba wants I suppose.

• Upvote 1

I have always been a believer in recruiting locally first. But I'm a ND transplant and can say that the talent level here in MN at the average high school is much higher than in ND. I've been able to see a lot of the high profile seniors play this year and it's a little upsetting that we haven't done more with this class. If you look online, this 2014 class is loaded with FBS and FCS offers. Many of whom UND didn't offer (not saying they're missing out but when everyone else offers, we probably should too.)

Now..... as far as the QB spot goes, Connor Wilkie and Jaques Perra are the top two QBs in Minnesota. (Neither of which UND offered) Not sure if we offered either PWOs but Perra has a PWO from the Gophers and a scholarship offer from USD. So if you want to go the route of "No one else has offered so why should we?" you must also understand that there are many kids across the river we're not taking in.

Highlight film aside, both of these guys could play at UND and having seen Keaton play this past September, I don't think he is the top recruit at his position in MN. He runs better than the other two, but he lacks their arm strength. Depends on what type of offense Bubba wants I suppose.

I am speaking in generalities here so nobody take this too personal. I am much less interested in "arm strength" than I am in a game managing qb that can make 95% of the throws and have a solid grasp on decision making.. Molberg has a huge arm and arguably the best receiving corps in fcs but lacked accuracy and game savy, imho. obviously we would take the best of both worlds but those kids don't land on our laps very often.

Keaton Studsrud is a good quarterback prospect out of Minnesota and he will be visiting this weekend. I don't think there's a huge difference between Studsrud and Wilkie overall, so I'm fine with Studsrud if he decides to come to UND. He's very athletic and his highlights have him making some nice throws.

Keaton is a good QB and I have nothing against him coming to UND, I am just more of a fan of tall pro style QB's. 6'0 180lbs could have difficulty seeing receivers past a big OL.

It seems that tall, pro-style qb;s with big arms are everyones dream. how may did we face in the thrashings we took this year? game managing, smart qb's are what we need. if they happen to be tall with huge arns....great. but not the first prerequisite.

I just don't understand why Hendrickson didn't start his junior year at all. I guess Joey Bradley Swag did throw for like 3,000 yards in JUCO which clearly translated well to the FCS.

Marcus had maturity issues. He was talented enough to have easily started for 4 years and been drafted. I'm glad he did turn it around for his senior year, it's just unfortunate that he didn't do that as a fr.

LB Dylan Harmson out of Wisconsin is in town it appears. First team all state based on what I'm seeing. Could be a good one to get. Also a hell of a triple jumper going over 44 feet as a junior.

www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1494072/dylan-harmston

It seems that tall, pro-style qb;s with big arms are everyones dream. how may did we face in the thrashings we took this year? game managing, smart qb's are what we need. if they happen to be tall with huge arns....great. but not the first prerequisite.

True. But Jaques Perra is a near 4.0 student and has a VERY high completion percentage with the arm to take the top off the defense. In a Star Tribune interview, Connor Wilkie said he's the only QB they've ever allowed to audible at the line into different plays/formations. I'd say those two have it down between the ears. So why not take the size too? The bottom line for me is that I disagree with using the QB as a 2nd running back. One of the reasons Phillip Nelson just left the UofM. Too many big hit in an offense that wouldn't allow him to throw much.

• Upvote 1