SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

So are we going to offer Connor Wilkie or just sit on our hands and watch!?

I just want Wilkie, Maynard and Gordon and I will be happy.

Just curious, is it possible we have offered Wilkie and it just hasn't been reported? I'm guessing there are quite a few offers out there we don't know about. I don't think anyone knew about Ferguson until his verbal was reported.

Just curious, is it possible we have offered Wilkie and it just hasn't been reported? I'm guessing there are quite a few offers out there we don't know about. I don't think anyone knew about Ferguson until his verbal was reported.

I believe it was listed on Wiki that we had offered Ferguson. There is a good chance that is true though.

So are we going to offer Connor Wilkie or just sit on our hands and watch!?

I just want Wilkie, Maynard and Gordon and I will be happy.

I have to agree with you on this one. Besides bringing in some OL/DL hogs, these 3 would definitely be great additions. If we haven't offered Wilkie, our coaching staff is far dumber than I thought.

I have to agree with you on this one. Besides bringing in some OL/DL hogs, these 3 would definitely be great additions. If we haven't offered Wilkie, our coaching staff is far dumber than I thought.

As dumb as every other FCS staff that recruits the north Minneapolis metro area.

Was just looking at our Wiki page and noticed that Jarvion Franklin has committed to WMU and Will Colmery has committed to Purdue. I am sure there are more listed on there that have committed elsewhere now.

I've been traveling for a few days. Wiki has been updated. Anyone - feel free to let me know if you know of other necessary changes.

Is anyone else starting to panic about our total lack of commits so far? One guy and we probably got him only because he didn't have any other offers. We are 2 1/2 months away from signing day and a lot of our offerees are already committed to other schools, and the ones that aren't committed don't seem interested in coming here.

I've just got a bad feeling on this upcoming class. Muss hasn't been a good recruiter in the past, and I think this year will be the worst.

Is anyone else starting to panic about our total lack of commits so far? One guy and we probably got him only because he didn't have any other offers. We are 2 1/2 months away from signing day and a lot of our offerees are already committed to other schools, and the ones that aren't committed don't seem interested in coming here.

I've just got a bad feeling on this upcoming class. Muss hasn't been a good recruiter in the past, and I think this year will be the worst.

It might not even end up being his.

There shouldn't be any panic as of right now. Considering this year's poor results and Mussman's unlikely future as head coach, why would many recruits want to commit to the University of North Dakota? I suspect many prospective recruits are waiting this thing out and seeing who the next head coach will be. In a lot of ways, I look at this lack of activity as a good thing, because it suggests Mussman is on his way out. And like I've said before, the sooner Mussman is gone and a real leader is hired, the sooner this program can start building towards a Big Sky championship/playoff berth.

• Upvote 1

Not sure why such a panic - we typically don't have that many commitments by the time the season is over. Also, most of the studs from last years class (Reyes, Kuksa, Norberg, etc) none of us had even heard of or knew they were being recruited by UND at this time. I'm assuming that will hold true this year as well. I will say I'm anticipating that a new coaching staff will have their work cut out for them, and this class may not be the caliber of last years, but I'm not ready to panic yet.

• Upvote 3

In my opinion, I would like them to let Muss go now so that a replacement can be hired and we don't lose out on a entire recruiting class.

I'm afraid that's just not practical. Anyone worth hiring (FCS coordinator or FBS position coach) is currently employed and busy with their respective team. If Faison lets go of Mussman on Monday, then Faison likely has known for a while that he was going to go that direction. For that reason, I'm sure he already has candidates in mind. Just let the process play out and hope that Faison hires a great leader with DI experience. Once that is in place, recruiting will improve to new heights. A coach with DI experience will immediately start recruiting the right student-athletes, not 155 lbs running backs/defensive backs and gutless line of scrimmage players.

• Upvote 3

Has anyone seen any of these ND recruits play or at least know how good they are?

Eric Bachmeier, 6'3”, 180, Kindred (Kindred), ND

Austin Cieslak, 6'3”, 250, Hazen (Hazen), ND

Dylan Beck, 285, Lakota (Lakota), ND

I've only seen Bachmeier of this bunch. He's an athlete. I think he can contribute at this level. Don't know that he'll be a star.

Local seniors, I want the Lawrence kid from Moorhead. 6'5 185 WR hasn't begun to fill out that frame. One of the top track runners in MN.

Has anyone seen any of these ND recruits play or at least know how good they are?

I saw the Beck kid play and I wasn't overly impressed. However, he does have a good frame. I think UND should snatch all three and see if any of them has the work ethic to mold themselves into an FCS football player. They may not have the measurables as Chicago kids, but you never know if they have the passion and desire of a home state kid until you get them into the program. That's what Mussman hasn't done - get enough home state kids into the program and develop them into contributors. All three are at least worth a shot as walk-ons.

I have only heard of Bachmeier through friends back home. They either watched or played against (don't recall) Kindred and said he could play in the top half of the NSIC.