SiouxSports.com Forum

GOD I HATE THEM

Fetch

the point I am trying to make with some of you here is that it doesn't really make sense to call FCS the JV D1. That is kind of a slam on the FCS right? Well, makes no sense ripping it when it is the level of football that we are competing at as well. Obviously our football team will never be as big as Alabama, LSU, heck even a school like Illinios. But in the landscape of college football, that is what we have to compete in. So yes FCS is not the top level. But it is the level of competition that nwe compete at. If and when UND wins an FCS football Championship, I will be thrilled. And deffinitely bragging about it to our friends to the south.

Hey, I even cheered NDSU to win that FCS thing last year. Good for them. I hope UND does the same soon.

The NIT is for those at the same level of competition that did not make the D-1 tournament.

FCS is FCS. FBS is FBS. They are on a different level. Many NDSU fans do not acknowledge that fact. They stubbornly try to group the buffalo in with teams like the Crimson Tide or the Gators. It's not the same.

But who cares who wins the NIT and what does that win make them?

The NIT is for those at the same level of competition that did not make the D-1 tournament.

FCS is FCS. FBS is FBS. They are on a different level. Many NDSU fans do not acknowledge that fact. They stubbornly try to group the buffalo in with teams like the Crimson Tide or the Gators. It's not the same.

Who does? Give me a percentage? How many NDSU fans will tell you that NDSU could beat teams like Alabama? Other than the people like Lakes. The top level FBS in a different level. The rest of it, the MWC, the C-USA, MAC, Sun Belt....all of those are FBS and presumably have your respect. A lot of those teams would not do anything special in the FCS. Heck, in 2010, #10 Virginia Tech got beat by James Madison and ended up in the Fiesta or Sugar Bowl. The elite FCS teams are sometimes capable of beating even some of the very good FBS teams.

I understand your clearly pumped that Bama won 2 of the last 3 titles. You don't want the "lesser" D-I schools claiming that they won legitimate championships. But as far as the NCAA is concerned, of the Division I teams that followed the 63 scholarship rule, and other rules that the FCS and FBS differentiate on, NDSU is a National Champion in Division I.

But who cares who wins the NIT and what does that win make them?

I'll take this one. Only THREE D-1 schools can finish the year with a win: the NCAA champs, the NIT champs, and the CIT champs. The teams who advance in the lesser tourneys are still playing (some in front of the home fans while many others get to travel to interesting locales) long after the early round exits from the big dance are at home. Heck, the NIT semifinalists get a trip to NYC to play at MSG. So I'll turn the question around and ask: would you rather your team win the NIT or get dumped in the first round of the NCAAs?

I'll take this one. Only THREE D-1 schools can finish the year with a win: the NCAA champs, the NIT champs, and the CIT champs. The teams who advance in the lesser tourneys are still playing (some in front of the home fans while many others get to travel to interesting locales) long after the early round exits from the big dance are at home. Heck, the NIT semifinalists get a trip to NYC to play at MSG. So I'll turn the question around and ask: would you rather your team win the NIT or get dumped in the first round of the NCAAs?

There's no right answer to that, to some winning the NIT is like winning "Miss Congeniality" because even being there is admitting you weren't good enough to play with the big boys, so some will think it's great and some will say 'So what?' and they'll both have a point.

I can't remember the last time I watched a NIT game, it's been years.