SiouxSports.com Forum

The New Sioux! Big Sky edition.

With the new editions, I believe we should be considered at least a top 5 team this upcoming season in the big sky.

Starting 5 predictions:

PG: Webb

SG: Anderson

SF:Huff

PF: Traylor

C: Brekke

With a solid bench at hand, including:

Shuler

Salmonson

Antwi

Allard

Sioux Bball + Big Sky Conference=Exciting!!

FIFY!

With the new editions, I believe we should be considered at least a top 5 team this upcoming season in the big sky.

Starting 5 predictions:

PG: Webb

SG: Anderson

SF:Huff

PF: Traylor

C: Brekke

With a solid bench at hand, including:

Shuler

Salmonson

Antwi

Allard

Sioux Bball=Exciting!!

Have to agree with you on this. Solid starting lineup and an equally solid bench with Schuler and Antwi filling in at the 1,2 and 3 positions and Allard filling in at the 4 and Salmonson at the 5. This team will have the talent and the experience for the next 2 years in the Big Sky. However, with this much talent they must play as a team and play very unselfish.

They talked a little UND basketball on WDAY radio tonight. Dom Izzo was very high on North Dakota, saying that he expects UND to be one of the top teams in the Big Sky next year, challenging for an NCAA bid. He was interviewing Tom Miller at the time. Miller basically said that if UND played all of their games at home they'd have a great chance.......................... :lol:

The Big Sky might not be the most glamorous conference in the nation, but there is no shortage of exciting basketball in this conference. I do believe that North Dakota can come into this league and be competitive.

Hoops season cant come fast enough, but first things first, FOOTBALL. :D

WILDCAT, I have to let you know man, you've been a good sport when it comes to this whole forum talk. I mean you don't talk bad about our program and it's appreciated, and very rare. Most rival fans come on here to bash (clearing throat...NDSU)....can't wait for the good the season to start!!! With Lilliard gone, how will guys be? Still a pretty good team despite?

WILDCAT, I have to let you know man, you've been a good sport when it comes to this whole forum talk. I mean you don't talk bad about our program and it's appreciated, and very rare. Most rival fans come on here to bash (clearing throat...NDSU)....can't wait for the good the season to start!!! With Lilliard gone, how will guys be? Still a pretty good team despite?

The Weber State fan base prides itself on being a classy bunch, as a matter of fact the Northern Colorado fans call us a friendly rival cause of how much hospitality we show them compared to everyone else in the conference. Me, I just love good sports talk un-tainted by smack (unless we are talking about Idaho State) :D .

I still think we will be pretty good this year, we return a lot of good solid players as well as brought in some great recruits. Lillard will definetely be missed, but Weber will be ok, with Randy Rahe as our coach, I believe Weber will always be a top 3 BSC team. I do think Montana will be the favorite this year, but the Big Sky is always a weird hoops conference, and a conference where road wins are really really important.

I know that North Dakota and Weber State have never met on the Court or on the football field, so I will be really excited for those matchups.

Nothing better than cheering on your own team - being happy about a win and not making excuses about a loss and not putting down another team, trashing its fans, its nickname, its facilities. If you ever make the trip to Grand Forks for football you will have no problem walking the tailgating area and getting something to eat/drink.

If Huff/Webb can take the next step, UND will have a chance to be very good! Those guys were excellent as freshmen, but similar players at sophs... Huff in particularly needs to take the next step and become the star if UND is going to be a true contender. The recruits were huge for depth in the frontcourt and should have a major impact. That was a big weakness before the recruiting period, but that should help a ton. Now just need the backcourt to be one of the top units in the Big Sky (which they have the potential to be), and it could be a great year for the Sioux!

If Huff/Webb can take the next step, UND will have a chance to be very good! Those guys were excellent as freshmen, but similar players at sophs... Huff in particularly needs to take the next step and become the star if UND is going to be a true contender. The recruits were huge for depth in the frontcourt and should have a major impact. That was a big weakness before the recruiting period, but that should help a ton. Now just need the backcourt to be one of the top units in the Big Sky (which they have the potential to be), and it could be a great year for the Sioux!

Everyone will need to step it up big time not just the ones you mentioned. Players will need to understand what a good shot is for them and work the ball on offense until that shot presents itself. A basketball team to be successful needs all 5 players on the court to play within themselves and understand its a team game. Thats a problem we have had in the past couple of years. I do think the addition of these 2 JUCO players is huge and our bench should be especially strong this year. I am already anxious for this season to begin to see what happens and what improvements will happen with certain players. Hopefully the improvements will be better shooting from the floor and free throws and much less turnovers. If this happens we will be fine.

I do agree that everyone will need to step it up, but the reason I single out Huff and Webb is because they have the potential to be really big-time players. If Huff is playing at his best, he can be one of the five best players in the Big Sky, and they need that to be a real contender. Same for Webb, he has the varied skillset to be an upper tier mid-major PG based on his freshman season. If he can make that leap, all of a sudden with just those two guys improving, UND has two big-time players in the Big Sky.

I liked what Brekke and Anderson in particular showed this year, and their improvement. Brekke was great down low, and should be helped a ton by the JUCO. Anderson doesn't do as many things well as Webb does (at his best, Webb does more things), but he does his thing well... efficient scorer and takes pretty good care of the basketball. Those are some nice pieces.

I'm thankful Huff is coming back. It was clear there were some issues and after some of his tweets, it's great to seeing him stick with the program. He is a great player and hopefully will be a team leader with a bit of an attitude change.

Either way, free throw shooting for the whole team is essential.

Am I the only one who thinks that Anderson is by far the most valuable player on this team?

Last year he was under control and took good shots and his shooting percentages for a guard were off the charts. He also had a great assist to turnover ratio. So, looking back at last year I would say yes. However, if Huff plays under control and plays team basketball he should be the MVP of this team. He brings athletism that is tops and excitement to this team. His attitude toward this team and players must change and involve into a bigger leadership role not only as a scorer but a player the others look up to. This has not happened yet but hopefully he will. So in short, Huff should be the MVP of this team the next couple of years but last year is was indeed Anderson.

Am I the only one who thinks that Anderson is by far the most valuable player on this team?

Totally agree, good point guard play brings out the best in the other guys on the floor. When Anderson plays well, Huff, Webb, and Brekke are going to play better. When Anderson doesn't play well, the other guys are going to be inconsistent. That's a lot of pressure to put on the kid, but I love his game and hope he can help take this team to the top of the Big Sky before he's finished.