SiouxSports.com Forum

March Madness 2012

dakotadan

The first 3 automatic bids to the 2012 NCAA tournament were punched today. I love championship week.

2012 Conference championship schedule and winners(All times EST)

Saturday, March 3

Big South Conference: UNC Asheville

Ohio Valley Conference: Murray State

Atlantic Sun Conference: Belmont

Sunday, March 4

Missouri Valley Conference: Creighton vs. Illinois State, 2 p.m.

Monday, March 5

Colonial Athletic Association, 7 p.m.

Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, 7 p.m.

Southern Conference, 9 p.m.

West Coast Conference, 9 p.m.

Tuesday, March 6

Sun Belt Conference, 7 p.m.

Horizon League, 9 p.m.

Summit League, 9 p.m.

Wednesday, March 7

Northeast Conference, 7 p.m.

Patriot League, 7 p.m.

Big Sky Conference, 9 p.m.

Saturday, March 10

America East Conference, 11 a.m.

Conference USA, 11:30 a.m.

Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, 1 p.m.

Southland Conference, 3 p.m.

Big 12 Conference, 5:30 p.m.

Pac-12 Conference, 6 p.m.

Mountain West Conference, 7 p.m.

Mid-American Conference, 8 p.m.

Southwestern Athletic Conference, 8 p.m.

Big East Conference, 9 p.m.

Big West Conference, 10 p.m.

Western Athletic Conference, 12 a.m.

Sunday, March 11

Atlantic Coast Conference, 1 p.m.

Atlantic 10 Conference, 1 p.m.

Southeastern Conference, 1 p.m.

Big Ten Conference, 3:30 p.m.

All of the bubble teams had to have been pretty happy when Murray State scored a last second shot to beat Tenn State. Murray State would have made the tourney either way. I'm guessing their conference commissioner was cheering for Tenn State though as it would have given the OVC 2 teams in the tourney.

All of the bubble teams had to have been pretty happy when Murray State scored a last second shot to beat Tenn State. Murray State would have made the tourney either way. I'm guessing their conference commissioner was cheering for Tenn State though as it would have given the OVC 2 teams in the tourney.

Every team in their conference should've been cheering for Tenn State. A second bid brings a lot more money for what...the next 4 years???

Big South Conference: UNC Asheville

Ohio Valley Conference: Murray State

Atlantic Sun Conference: Belmont

Missouri Valley Conference: Creighton

Colonial Athletic Association: Virginia Commonwealth

Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference: Loyola (Md.)

Southern Conference: Davidson

West Coast Conference: Saint Mary's

Sun Belt Conference: Western Kentucky

Horizon League: Detroit

Summit League: South Dakota State

Just noticed Weber State sitting at 69 RPI, probably not going to get into the tournament but darn close, BSC almost got 2 teams in the NCAA Big Dance.

EDIT: And now 68. Autobids will keep them out, but RPI-wise they are good enough.

http://espn.go.com/m...ball/tournament

East Region

4. Wisconsin

13. Montana

South Regiona

3. Baylor

14. S. Dak St.

It's pretty neat to be able to say we beat 2 tournament teams this season. It would have been great for the Big Sky if Weber had managed to get in. It is good that the conference is getting close to an at large bid.

Montana 49

Wisconsin 73

Final. I kind of expected the Griz to give them a bit more trouble.

Same especially inside. And they were in the first half. I didn't see much of second because of hockey. Sounded like Cherry was struggling.

Anyone know what Montana is losing for players (I don't want ya to do my dirty work just if you know)?

Nine double-digit seeds have advanced to the second round. And yes, I realize the NCAA wants us to only refer to the two play-in games as the "first round", but I refuse to believe any tournament can have 64 teams with a first round bye. :silly:

I thought only 60 had first round byes.

Am I imagining things, or didn't there used to be only one or two "play-in" game(s)--to determine who was a 16-seed? I kind of miss the "good old days" when there were 64 teams, period.

They just went to 4 play-in games in the last year or 2. If I remember right, they started with 1 play-in game a while back, and then went to 2 for a little while. I really don't know how much they add to the tournament, hardly anyone seems to pay attention to them. They would be better off just adding a full round than having those 4 games. Then they could eliminate all of the other post season tournaments.

They just went to 4 play-in games in the last year or 2. If I remember right, they started with 1 play-in game a while back, and then went to 2 for a little while. I really don't know how much they add to the tournament, hardly anyone seems to pay attention to them. They would be better off just adding a full round than having those 4 games. Then they could eliminate all of the other post season tournaments.

VCU made the Final Four last year as one of those "play-in" teams. That and all the upsets that happened on Friday shows you how competitive college basketball is becoming.