SiouxSports.com Forum

Change the name gaining support

GeauxSioux

Former Sioux football coach Dale Lennon says UND losing recruits already

Dale Lennon, head football coach at UND from 1999 to 2007, is the latest Fighting Sioux athletics figure to join in urging retirement of the nickname for the sake of the athletics program’s future.

In a letter to be published in Saturday’s Herald, Lennon writes that he has first-hand evidence that the ongoing controversy “is hurting (UND’s) athletic programs in recruiting,” and that “any future NCAA sanctions could be disastrous to the completion of the Division I transition.”

Also speaking out today: five members of the UND Athletics Hall of Fame, who warn that NCAA sanctions and likely related consequences “will signal the death knell for UND athletics.”

In a letter also to be published in the Herald Saturday, the former athletes — Bruce Smith, Corey Colehour, Dan Martinson, David Williamson and Kelby Klosterman, all football players — write that they “competed proudly as Fighting Sioux football players and we respect the Native American heritage and traditions that have been an important part of this university for 82 years.”

There is a definite change in the opinions going on.

If the name is retired, Lennon writes “UND athletics would regain control of its own destiny” and “recruit the best student-athletes available and allow them the opportunity of competing at the highest level possible in their division.

“As a proud alumnus who wants his alma mater achieving greatness, this is our only option.”

Edited by GeauxSioux

Former Sioux football coach Dale Lennon says UND losing recruits already

There is a definite change in the opinions going on.

Now head coach at Southern Illinois University, Lennon writes that he has “asked many athletes who are being recruited by top FCS programs including UND why had they had eliminated UND as a potential option.”

Those student athletes’ response, he writes, “was they had a negative perception of UND because of the NCAA sanctions.” And, he adds, “Opposing recruiters will continue to use the NCAA sanctions to their advantage.”

That should be a clue to get rid of the name.

So to recap, in the past week we've had prominent former UND letterwinners Tim O'Keefe, Dave Hakstol, Dale Lennon, Bruce Smith, Corey Colehour, Dan Martinson, Dave Williamson and Kelby Klosterman all publicly say the nickname must go for the good of the school and the athletic department. Frank Burggraf is the only former letterwinner I'm aware of on the opposite side. I'm guessing the first group will continue to grow in the coming days and weeks. Will Frank's?

So to recap, in the past week we've had prominent former UND letterwinners Tim O'Keefe, Dave Hakstol, Dale Lennon, Bruce Smith, Corey Colehour, Dan Martinson, Dave Williamson and Kelby Klosterman all publicly say the nickname must go for the good of the school and the athletic department. Frank Burggraf is the only former letterwinner I'm aware of on the opposite side. I'm guessing the first group will continue to grow in the coming days and weeks. Will Frank's?

I had a couple of classes with Frank. Nice guy. But...let's just say I would go with the other's opinions.

Tack on Jim Kleinsasser and Phil Jackson to that list.

Tim O'Keefe, Dave Hakstol, Dale Lennon, Bruce Smith, Corey Colehour, Dan Martinson, Dave Williamson and Kelby Klosterman ...

... Jim Kleinsasser and Phil Jackson ...

To me, still, O'Keefe is the most telling. He's UND through and through. He has a unique perspective. He can see into the inner workings but is beholden to no one in those workings. And he's in contact with key alumni. And he's reached the conclusion that the moniker has moved to the "net negative" category and should go.

Lennon straight up stating what he's heard from recruits moves this into a whole new realm of the dangers to UND Athletics.

LOL...known uber-liberal Phil Jackson, who can't even admit he is from North Dakota, is on the list? Well I'm on-board now, the nickname must go!

He admitted the name should go years and years ago, maybe after being away from coaching he will show up in ND. If he can find his way up here.

LOL...known uber-liberal Phil Jackson, who can't even admit he is from North Dakota, is on the list? Well I'm on-board now, the nickname must go!

Sure, but there are some pretty conservative folks on that list also. So let's leave politics out of this.

This is about looking out for UND or wanting to see it suffer under NCAA sanctions.

Obviously, Lennon's contract is up for renewal, and Kelley and Fasion are pressuring him to write those lies ... :silly:

Shoot! You beat me to it.

To me, still, O'Keefe is the most telling. He's UND through and through. He has a unique perspective. He can see into the inner workings but is beholden to no one in those workings. And he's in contact with key alumni. And he's reached the conclusion that the moniker has moved to the "net negative" category and should go.

Plus, do you really think he wanted to go over to Hakstol's house and say "I'm telling everybody to drop the name" unless he really felt it was the only way? :lol:

Sure, but there are some pretty conservative folks on that list also. So let's leave politics out of this.

This is about looking out for UND or wanting to see it suffer under NCAA sanctions.

Politics has a lot to do with this, so I guess we agree to disagree on that point. I probably could have left out the "uber-liberal" comment with respect to Phil, though, so point taken.