SiouxSports.com Forum

Saturday Night @ Duluth

WiSioux

Why is the winning of the gophers so important to the Siouxs ranking? That makes no sense to me!

If the gophs lose two to Denver and the Sioux take one or two from Denver how would the ranking be any different if the gophs would have won? Doesn't it make Denver look stronger and if Sioux beat em that would make the Sioux look stronger? Please explain.....

He is talking about WCHA standings, not rankings. If the Gopher's would have swept Denver, and UND swept UMD, then UND would have surpassed Denver in the WCHA standings. Same for next week, BSU is only 3 points behind UND, so the Gopher's need to win to ensure that they stay behind us in the standings if we don't win.

Why is the winning of the gophers so important to the Siouxs ranking? That makes no sense to me!

If the gophs lose two to Denver and the Sioux take one or two from Denver how would the ranking be any different if the gophs would have won? Doesn't it make Denver look stronger and if Sioux beat em that would make the Sioux look stronger? Please explain.....

Pairwise. We are 1-3 against the Gophers. Them winning moves us up in most cases. Losing moves us down. We haven't played Denver yet so the rest of your paragraph right now is irrelevant.

Pairwise. We are 1-3 against the Gophers. Them winning moves us up in most cases. Losing moves us down. We haven't played Denver yet so the rest of your paragraph right now is irrelevant.

The pairwise is so volatile right now, if you look at this weekend, if Denver-UM and Miami-UAH would've split instead of one team sweeping, UND would have been in the 12-9 range in the pairwise, instead we are sitting at 16. Its hard to say definitevely what needs to happen in each series for UND to move up. The Gophers winning would help us, but the results of two other games could total nullify that and take away all of the positive gained from the Gopher win. The best thing for UND is just keep winning.

He is talking about WCHA standings, not rankings. If the Gopher's would have swept Denver, and UND swept UMD, then UND would have surpassed Denver in the WCHA standings. Same for next week, BSU is only 3 points behind UND, so the Gopher's need to win to ensure that they stay behind us in the standings if we don't win.

"on the road to Tampa"

That statement says more than WCHA!

If Sioux win and take care of business than it doesn't matter what BSU does, they can't catch them!

Also being ahead of Denver in let's say 3rd, how is that any better than 4-6th on WCHA? Home ice is the goal, all them positions get home ice. I would think the most important thing right now is making the big show, and that was what I was addressing!

To other poster explaining the 1-3 record to the gophers I understand and thanks, but if Denver beat them, and the Sioux beat Denver, than what's the difference? That's where I'm not getting the rankings, it seems very confusing!

Just got home from Duluth, and my first visit to AMSOIL. Fun weekend. Stayed at the Comfort Suites right on the water, and had a good old fashioned time....minus the Edina girls hockey team staying at the hotel.....I never want a 12 year old daughter....yikes... :lol:

I for one hope that Don Adam doesn't end up officiating in the new conference. He didn't cost UND the game, they did that by themselves the first two periods, but just such inconsistent officiating both ways just took away from a pretty good game. Probably his worst call came when the UND player (can't remember who....maybe Knight) was the last man with the puck in the zone, lost his stick, and was diving to knock the puck away from the Duluth player, and he called it tripping on the Duluth player....Just a disaster.

I know the Bina hit has been beaten to death over the years, but if Ben Blood's penalty was a game, then the Paukovich hit from years ago in St. Paul would be a lifetime ban nowadays. I just cringe every time Adam calls a checking from behind that is a bit controversial, because he missed such a blatant one right in front of his fricken face.

As for the game, the Sioux were fun to watch that last period. Carter Rowney just took over. Extremely impressed with his development into a go to guy for the Sioux. That play at the end was right in front of us, and if not for some poor ice conditions (puck bounced everywhere all night), could have been a tie game. Could not believe the amount of empty seats in the lower bowl.....That or people were dressed like yellow seats....

Final

UND 4

UMD 5

Reiter goes after Rowney?

Yeah, that was right in front of us. Rowney took a whack at the puck that Reiter had covered, so Reiter got up and punched Rowney in the face with his blocker right in front of the official.....

Neither play drew a penalty....surprise surprise.....

Anyone have video of the MacWilliam hit on Hendrickson that Brad Schlossman mentioned in his blog?

Andrew MacWilliam delivered what will perhaps be the hit of the year on Jake Hendrickson, who was carrying the puck along the left-side boards in the neutral zone. MacWilliam’s penalty expired, he stepped out of the box and saw Hendrickson coming straight for him. So, MacWilliam just stood there and waited to deliver the huge hit. Hendrickson never saw him coming.