SiouxSports.com Forum

Mike Commodore vs. Alex Brooks

Telly33

I wonder how often some tough guy has been thrown in jail for "decking" a "loudmouth" in a bar? Probably many more times than the "loudmouth" has been thrown in jail for speaking his mind.

You would be the type to try to press charges for something you brought on yourself. You probably got your ass repeatedly kicked throughout your school years too.

• Upvote 1

Fighting is for uncivilized buffooons who lack the mental capacity to engage in a war of words.

I've seen you attempt "engage in a war of words" and I've found it amusing. You may want to take up Kenpo instead, and give yourself a better chance of winning something. Or just stick to knitting.

Only a neanderthal knuckle-dragging thug would think that somebody "brought it on himself" if he got brutally assaulted for doing nothing more than speaking his mind.

FACT : As a citizen I have the RIGHT to speak my mind without fear of being physically assaulted for what I say.

PS - For the record... never had my ass kicked or kicked anybody else's ass for that matter in my school years or in my adult life. Never been in a fistfight ever, which makes me a better person than anybody that has been in a fight. Fighting is for uncivilized buffooons who lack the mental capacity to engage in a war of words.

Keep sending your kid to baseball practice in jeans and a Belfour jersey and he might find things different than you did :)

Yes!!! There is a very good reason for that, and it is a little something called FREEDOM OF SPEECH. I have the right to say whatever I want to whoever I want, and if they attack me physically I can press charges. It's called assault. I'm supporting something that is protected by law, while you appear to be advocating something that is against the law.

If you're so insistant on hiding behind the First Amendment, perhaps you should know how it reads before you do.

Your response quoted above is to a comment "tnt" made saying "I believe you rule out words and gestures, because that is what you do, you taunt people". The fact is, the First Amendment doesn't protect that kind of speech. Regarding the first amendment:

The Supreme Court has also recognized that the government may prohibit some speech that may cause a breach of the peace or cause violence. For more on unprotected and less protected categories of speech see advocacy of illegal action, fighting words, commercial speech and obscenity.

Further, fighting words can be defined as:

Words which would likely make the person whom they are addressed commit an act of violence.

Bottom line is, if you say something that incites violince, you are equally responsible for the violence. Your speech was unprotected. Not to say the violent reponse is protected by the lay, because it's not, but your words that brought it on are illegal, too.

And if you want to read up on it yourself, feel free to peruse the Cornell Law website.

http://www.law.corne...First_amendment

http://www.law.corne.../fighting_words

And specifically the case which rules "fighting words" as not protected by the First Amendment: http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0315_0568_ZO.html

• Upvote 1

So if some random guy in a bar is being rude/disrespectful to me, and as a reaction to the way I am being treated I make a derogatory remark about that individual... I am legally responsible for inciting violence if he assaults me? I'd like to see a court of law where that logic would fly. :silly:

If you took the time to read the links I so graciously posted for you, you would see that the unless the random guy was being rude and disrespectful in one of the forms of unprotected speech, then yes, you would be legally responsible, as affirmed by the US Supreme Court.

I don't think this needs to be explained any further. I gave you the links to figure it out. I know you're talking about within the context of a sporting event, but when you start referring to what YOU can do that is protected behind "freedom of speech", then you're not talking about a sporting event anymore.

All I got to say on these posts is, WOW!

Dave, give up, you're making yourself look like a fool to everyone other than yourself!

You think maybe you could be wrong?

If people aren't accountable for what they say or do, than what?

I can say every time I open my mouth towards an opponents fan base I know

the consiquences that I could face! But never in my life time have I opened my mouth thinking I am

going to be protected by the 1st amendment to say what ever I want!

Only a pussy does this!

If you took the time to read the links I so graciously posted for you, you would see that the unless the random guy was being rude and disrespectful in one of the forms of unprotected speech, then yes, you would be legally responsible, as affirmed by the US Supreme Court. I don't think this needs to be explained any further. I gave you the links to figure it out. I know you're talking about within the context of a sporting event, but when you start referring to what YOU can do that is protected behind "freedom of speech", then you're not talking about a sporting event anymore.

Don't be talking down to Dave like that. He's our self-proclaimed "expert" on copyright law, constitutional law, anti-trust law, civil actions, self-defense and no-contact whatsoever hockey. :hypocrite::lol:

If some guy assaults you and causes major physical damage because you lipped off to him, there is no judge or jury anywhere in the world that is going to find you liable for the damage that the macho man/tough guy/neanderthal/hothead/loose cannon/meltdown machine did to you.

That's hard to say Dave, you can't assume you wouldn't face charges also because they could charge you with inciting, mischief, and yes...verbal assault, law enforcement might view you as the instigator of the incident which would make getting restitution iffy.

This is a goofy argument anyhow, is there any one-liner worth getting your ass kicked for?