SiouxSports.com Forum

I'm done with the polls

krangodance

What is the point in looking at the polls for college hockey? We all know the the pwr are all that matter in the end yet we look at polls and act like they mean something.

Take Minnesota for example. They're 3rd in both major polls (USCHO and USA Today) yet they're 13th in the pwr. Let's assume the conference tournaments are over and the Gophers are still 13th in the pwr.

We know one thing, no AHA team is getting in without winning their conference tournament, which means the top 15 in the pwr are in. With Cornell the only possible at-large out of the ECAC an upset in that tournament reduces the at-large field to the top 14. That means one of two things will happen:

1. There are a couple more upsets in the other three conference tournaments and suddenly the top 12 in the pwr are in, leaving the Gophers out.

or

2. The Gophers get in as the number 13 and are therefore a four seed.

Does it make sense that a team that would either be a four seed or out of the tournament altogether if their season continues down its current path should be ranked #3 in the country?

The same goes for Colorado College and, on the exact opposite side of the spectrum, you have Mass-Lowell who are 3rd in the pwr but don't make the top 10 in the polls.

What, then, is the point of looking at the polls? If you're a fan of Minnesota or Colorado College they might give you a temporary feel good moment but, once realilty sinks in, you have to realize those rankings mean nothing and have no impact on your chances.

The pwr mean everything. Unless the selection process changes I see no point in looking at the polls.

What is the point in looking at the polls for college hockey? We all know the the pwr are all that matter in the end yet we look at polls and act like they mean something.

Take Minnesota for example. They're 3rd in both major polls (USCHO and USA Today) yet they're 13th in the pwr. Let's assume the conference tournaments are over and the Gophers are still 13th in the pwr.

We know one thing, no AHA team is getting in without winning their conference tournament, which means the top 15 in the pwr are in. With Cornell the only possible at-large out of the ECAC an upset in that tournament reduces the at-large field to the top 14. That means one of two things will happen:

1. There are a couple more upsets in the other three conference tournaments and suddenly the top 12 in the pwr are in, leaving the Gophers out.

or

2. The Gophers get in as the number 13 and are therefore a four seed.

Does it make sense that a team that would either be a four seed or out of the tournament altogether if their season continues down its current path should be ranked #3 in the country?

The same goes for Colorado College and, on the exact opposite side of the spectrum, you have Mass-Lowell who are 3rd in the pwr but don't make the top 10 in the polls.

What, then, is the point of looking at the polls? If you're a fan of Minnesota or Colorado College they might give you a temporary feel good moment but, once realilty sinks in, you have to realize those rankings mean nothing and have no impact on your chances.

The pwr mean everything. Unless the selection process changes I see no point in looking at the polls.

The all importance of having your conference do well in non-conference games. That is why the WCHA teams, other than Duluth, are struggling so badly in the PWR. The WCHA didn't have impressive showings against the CCHA or HE. This is why Minnesota is so far down the PWR. Minnesota didn't help their own cause going only 4-4-1 in non-conference. Including a loss to Vermont which really hurts them.

Just keep in mind that the PWR are extremely close right now from 3 to about 18. It's possible that if Mass-Lowell is swept this weekend they can fall to 16 in the PWR.

The all importance of having your conference do well in non-conference games. That is why the WCHA teams, other than Duluth, are struggling so badly in the PWR. The WCHA didn't have impressive showings against the CCHA or HE. This is why Minnesota is so far down the PWR. Minnesota didn't help their own cause going only 4-4-1 in non-conference. Including a loss to Vermont which really hurts them.

Just keep in mind that the PWR are extremely close right now from 3 to about 18. It's possible that if Mass-Lowell is swept this weekend they can fall to 16 in the PWR.

Looks like the two top WCHA teams are struggling with PWR, not the WCHA!

While the bolded statement is true, it's important to just do well in general and not get in a hole. The Sioux only lost one non-conference game this year (to BC, 2nd game of the year), but tied both Maine and Harvard. Where the Sioux got burned was in the early season struggles and getting swept by Wisconsin and Minnesota and losing a game to BSU really hurts. Big hole to dig out of.

My motto is : "just keep winning"

... then everything works itself out :)

While the bolded statement is true, it's important to just do well in general and not get in a hole. The Sioux only lost one non-conference game this year (to BC, 2nd game of the year), but tied both Maine and Harvard. Where the Sioux got burned was in the early season struggles and getting swept by Wisconsin and Minnesota and losing a game to BSU really hurts. Big hole to dig out of.

My motto is : "just keep winning"

... then everything works itself out :)

Good point! And that's why UND, even with all the struggles that they've had, is still in position to jump in the PWR. I have a feeling they have gotten a small boost because of Maine's recent success in the second half, especially last weekends sweep over BC.

What ranking are you looking at? Duluth is 2nd in both RPI and PWR.

First off I never said I totally understand this ranking stuff!

But I go to pair wise rankings and the RPI column says #2 and the PWR says #29, and the team ranking says #2, right before the name Duluth.

That's all I stated......

First off I never said I totally understand this ranking stuff!

But I go to pair wise rankings and the RPI column says #2 and the PWR says #29, and the team ranking says #2, right before the name Duluth.

That's all I stated......

You must be looking at USCHO... their columns are somewhat misleadingly labeled. Their number of pairwise comparisons won is 29, but winning more is better, so winning 29 is good for being #2 in PWR (PairWise Ranking).

As to the topic of the thread... I agree. It's been a long time since I've heard anyone talking about where a college hockey team was in the polls, or hoping to rise in the polls. Experts seem to think KRACH is a better non-biased ranking, and PWR is all that matters for the tourney.

You must be looking at USCHO... their columns are somewhat misleadingly labeled. Their number of pairwise comparisons won is 29, but winning more is better, so winning 29 is good for being #2 in PWR (PairWise Ranking).

As to the topic of the thread... I agree. It's been a long time since I've heard anyone talking about where a college hockey team was in the polls, or hoping to rise in the polls. Experts seem to think KRACH is a better non-biased ranking, and PWR is all that matters for the tourney.

Yes it is uscho, and ah, I understand now!

Thanks......

By the way, what website do you guys use for this info?

Why not just google College Hockey Rankings, USHO (which is the result that will pop up when googling College hockey rankings) has a tab underneath it saying pairwise rankings..

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwise-rankings/d-i-men/

Really?

If you read the whole conversation it states that is where I did go! But the info is a bit confusing (for me) so I asked where is a better less confusing site and they answered......

It is kind of odd how USCHO labels their columns, it is pretty misleading. On the left it has ranking which is pretty straight forward but to the right of the team name is PWR, which I assume stands for Pairwise Ranking when it really is the number of comparison's that teams wins vs. other TUC's.