SiouxSports.com Forum

Who is in charge of the Alumni Assn ?

Fetch

This all started here : http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/15904-help-from-spirit-lake/page__view__findpost__p__533156

I am restarting this in a new post

The group I'm most amazed at the lack of response & how they just follow like sheep are the Alumni.

Say your successful & want to give back to your University - Like Ralph - But then after you give your University turns on you

Here is a chance for the Alumni to ask for changing the name to SPIRIT LAKE SIOUX & give the Logo to the tribe in return Win-Win

If this happened at this time, it would have the best possible chance of saving the name - Then if the NCAA says No SL will have suffered a Big loss

UND will never recover the sales of Sioux gear with a new name - NEVER - Ralph's gift is worth this

Can the Alumni Assn. ask it's members if they want to pursue this ?

Ask the University to gift the Logo to the Tribe (imagine how the proceeds thru a trust will help the tribe)

• Upvote 1

I am restarting this in a new post

The group I'm most amazed at the lack of response & how they just follow like sheep are the Alumni.

Say your successful & want to give back to your University - Like Ralph - But then after you give your University turns on you

Here is a chance for the Alumni to ask for changing the name to SPIRIT LAKE SIOUX & give the Logo to the tribe in return Win-Win

If this happened at this time, it would have the best possible chance of saving the name - Then if the NCAA says No SL will have suffered a Big loss

UND will never recover the sales of Sioux gear with a new name - NEVER - Ralph's gift is worth this

Can the Alumni Assn. ask it's members if they want to pursue this ?

Ask the University to gift the Logo to the Tribe (imagine how the proceeds thru a trust will help the tribe)

The UND SLS. Good...then a new tribal council comes in and wants the name gone......then what???

Yep same ol just give up & let it go

I have said before all this had to play out & now a real chance may be at hand that is Win-Win for Alumi - Fans - UND - Sioux Tribe - SBOHE - People of ND - Ralph Engelstad & Family - Etc.

Only Kelly & those who can't think outside the box may feel hurt (& they should)

It is worth asking the question

& a long term agreement could be had at the time the deal is made with SL ( or can our best minds screw that up too ? )

Get it done before the referral vote & it becomes Law again (right now that would be bad but I don't want to trust the voters on this at this time either) but get the wording right into the Law - so future Tribe councils will have to take on the State to change it (plus word it so that they lose the name & proceeds if it ha -ppens)

It is still DOABLE

Yep same ol just give up & let it go

I have said before all this had to play out & now a real chance may be at hand that is Win-Win for Alumi - Fans - UND - Sioux Tribe - SBOHE - People of ND - Ralph Engelstad & Family - Etc.

Only Kelly & those who can't think outside the box may feel hurt (& they should)

It is worth asking the question

& a long term agreement could be had at the time the deal is made with SL ( or can our best minds screw that up too ? )

Get it done before the referral vote & it becomes Law again & get the wording into the Law so future Tribe councils will have to take on the State to change it

It is still DOABLE

Didn't the SR think an agreement was long term back in 1969.

Tim Okeefe & other Alumni

I agree that where we were at - is not worth it - BUT PLEASE consider this last option

The stage is set the planets are aliening & I really believe it is GODS will that we save the Name

PLEASE !

I don't know who else to ask ..................Kelly - Students ?

what ever happened to when students really stood up for things ?

Or do they just not understand what has all transpired ? 

darell why so negative & contrary

they had their chance & God bless them for trying

maybe it will finally wake up SR chairpeople to come out of their coma & try to solve this - But I'm afraid SR is just too late

So why are you always so quick to not want the name saved ?

darell why so negative & contrary

they had their chance & God bless them for trying

maybe it will finally wake up SR chairpeople to come out of their coma & try to solve this - But I'm afraid SR is just too late

So why are you always so quick to not want the name saved ?

Because I am tired of this. I got my hopes up ever since this BS stuff started in 2005. No one said a thing when that @ss Wayne Stenjeum agreed to a 2 tribal approval. Where was the letters to him, where was the phone calls, media stories, lawsuits. Now that the timeline is over all this stuff is coming out now after the fact. Its over!!! Why keep getting your hopes up when the NCAA does not care about laws or the Spirit Lake, and yes the NCAA does not care about the SL. Its the NCAA's league.

Do we know how they will respond to changing the name to Spirit Lake Sioux ?

I too will never forget the AG major screw up

& have hated how all have reacted & the timing - But it had to play out & it has

But without any real Leadership from UND it has been a uphill fight

Do we know how they will respond to changing the name to Spirit Lake Sioux ?

I too will never forget the AG major screw up

& have hated how all have reacted & the timing - But it had to play out & it has

But without any real Leadership from UND it has been a uphill fight

If the NCAA and UND approves of the UND SLS fine, but I am done with getting my hopes up. I am looking now through this transition. Its weird to see shirts with just UND on it, no Sioux and no Indian logo. But that is where we are headed, and I want our athletic teams (not just hockey) to have a shot at the playoffs and without the NCAA's blessings. UND will be headed towards Independant hell.

I don't want independant he!! either - But with SL winning by proving they could have a loss (other than the Honor of their name) Then why not try Spirit Lake Sioux ?

It fits with where were at at this moment of the entire issue

How hard can it be to poll the Alumni & Students & ask if they would want to move ahead with that name change of SPIRIT LAKE SIOUX ?

I feel the NCAA would have to accept it (again in light of all that has transpired) we have met their cirteria

Plus maybe if the NCAA would rule on this now it could save them a lot of possible grief & us going down a road we know we can't win

& most of all SL Wins too - I always thought they should be compensated - have more of a stake ($$$) in the game

Where it stands now unless someone from UND (Alumni or Students) request / DEMANDS UND Admin. to look at this, it will be over ------ unless SL gets really lucky & a court sees the NCAA for what they are

& how cool would it be if Students &/or Alumni rallied to save their name one last time - it would be a come from behind win of the ages

*** a note here : I had really hoped the politicians would have asked this with the NCAA last meeting - I wish someone would of had the foresight to look ahead & discuss what was to come - I believe the NCAA blocked a lot of the chance to brainstorm & were just stubborn - I have given up on the politicians & ncaa & und admin.

YOU - SL &/or the Courts ARE THE LAST HOPE - the courts should be the last resort & without momentum - No Will No WAY

I hate to be so cynical but where is the Student Senate or Council or Assn. why have they not really been out front in save the name ?

Not All - But I know how boards - councils - politics work - Administrations. loads them up with yes people (one of the biggest problems in Business & Government - anything with a Boardroom) if any one speaks up & questions something you get shunned or dumped on, to a point you no longer want to fight the fight or your brainwashed by the Admin. to always trust their judgement - LOOK AT HOW WELL THAT IS WORKING OUT ALL OVER THE COUNTRY - APATHY is bringing us down - In many cases there are not quality Boards Reps. keeping checks & balances that makes our system work

*** I have made quite a few edits/additions on this today please re-read........... thanks

I for one think we should take UND-Williston's name and be known as the Tetons. There would be no uproar from the anti-nickname nazi's. There is no outrage from the SBOE, President Kelly or the NCAA over this name because it is a mountain range first and a Sioux Tribe second. We could go from being the French work "snake" to the French word "tits." Leigh and his cronies at UND have no problem with this nickname since Ralph didn't give their athletic programs $100 million. Funny how this name is never brought up in the hostile and abusive category. Yes I know they are only a JUCO but the SBOE still oversees this school and funny how none of the PC police ever complain about the "Tetons?" Now when AC ends everything they do in Fargo with Tetons suck they will make sense.

Seriously why does this name never get brought up by all those trying to save the Sioux people by telling them what should offend them? I for one would like to ask why?

Please don't try to marginalize, categorize, criticize how I support my school. I don't like being referred to as sheep. First, UND has provided a great platform for many of us alumni in our lives. Each one of us can choose to give or support however we see fit. I am proud to have received my degrees at UND and I am proud to support however minor it may be (as opposed to others) in regards to academics and sports from which both myself and my family gain so much enjoyment from- name, no-name or some other name. If you feel that I am somehow less worthy of an alum- because I refuse to jump on board something that you feel is the ultimate issue- I don't know what to tell you. My closesest friends in this world (all UND alum) are all disappointed in the loss of the nickname, but we are far more concerned with where this university will be down the road irregardless of the name.

Amen x 1000!!!