SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota @ UMKC

bincitysioux

Horrible shots again when we need a good shot. I beginning to think the coaches are afraid to say anything to Huff when he takes so many horrible shots. Yes he scores alot and is one of our best players but 4-5 shots a night are out of control and when you lose games by 3 points those possessions are critical. Coach keeps talking after every game how we basically lose control and dont take good shots but the same player does it every game. They are starting to not play as a team and standing and watching one player take so many shots and playing as individuals. That is why they are losing close games. Im starting to blame the coaching at this point. Hate being negative but they need to be more balanced with there shots. Huff has made 2 of his last 21 threes also. Great game by Brekke by the way. They still have alot of season to play but changes definately need to be made. I believe we are better than we are playing. Maybe when Goodman comes back it will happen and give us a sold backup at the 3 position.

Plain and simple Huff isn't what we thought he would be his Sophomore year. He takes a lot of really bad shots.

Also shooting roughly 50% from the free-throw line is completely abysmal and is absolutely unacceptable.

UMKC and IDST are both not good basketball squads. Both should be wins for this team, even on the road.

I thought Huff played well tonight, and he didn't frustrate me as much as he often does with poor decisions. Although perhaps being guilty of being a bit of a "ball hog", he also makes some great passes in traffic. My biggest complaint about Huff is his launching of 3 pointers when he is not a 3 point shooter. Go to the rim and either score, draw the foul, or dish it off.

Brekke had a great game, 20 points and 10 rebounds.

Free throw shooting continues to be abysmal. Do they ever work on that?

I like Josh Schuler, some people here don't. He doesn't fit in with the M.O. of Anderson, Webb, and Huff. He's a pure shooter. I'd like to see some of those screens set to free him up for jump shots.....................

No surprise that we generally win the games where Anderson and Schuler play the best. It is because they score the most efficiently. Mitchell and Huff can light it up on any given night but both are volume shooters, which can be a big problem when they aren't shooting well and taking smart shots.

If we can't beat UMKC or IDST the SDSU games could be ugly.

No surprise that we generally win the games where Anderson and Schuler play the best. It is because they score the most efficiently. Mitchell and Huff can light it up on any given night but both are volume shooters, which can be a big problem when they aren't shooting well and taking smart shots.

If we can't beat UMKC or IDST the SDSU games could be ugly.

You are correct when you talk about effeciencies with their shots. Here are the stats as far as points/shot. Brekke averages 1.8 points/shot. Anderson averages 1.762 points/shot. Schuler averages 1.526 points/shot. Webb averages 1.323 points per/shot. Mitchell averages 1.129 points/shot and Huff averages 1.123 points/shot. Someone mentioned Huff taking threes. Agree he is not a 3 point shooter at all. In fact if you chart his shots outside 10' it has to be a horrible percentage. Most of his made shots are dunks or lay ups. He needs to penetrate and if the lane is open finish like he does so well or if not open he draws alot of denfenders and dish to wide open shooters. I see Anderson, Mitchell and Schuler so wide open on the wings when so many horrible shots are taken. Our inside out game is horrible at this point. We have the talent but dont have the dicipline at this point. Hopefully it will come. Go Sioux

fire jones?

I dont think its close to being at that point. Jones did bring in these 5 sophomores so lets give him more time with these players. But control and discipline has to be enforced even if it means benching a player. Whats the latest on Goodman? Once Goodman is back he can play minutes for Huff, especially when Huff gets out of control. I dont really think the coaches have anybody right now they can put in the 3 position as a back up. They use Gentry only a few minutes a game. Gentry can be a fine player, only wish they would have red-shirted him like they discussed prior to the season.

First off, I agree with Bin, I thought Huff played well, and I thought Brekke played well. Brekke 20 and 10, Huff 15pts, 9 reb, 3, steals....How is that a bad game? Sure he takes bad shots, everyone does. It's part of growing. Sioux2013, Im really starting to think your a guy on the team who doesn't want to play with Huff...lol.I can picture you, on your computer in the hotel room, mad because you didn't do so well, so you have to trash talk the guys that did okay. All of your post about him are flushing the kid. Your a joke dude! Your a DEBBIE DOWNER to fullest extent kid. I dont get why people get on the forum to talk negative about our hoops program, hello your suppossed to be fans! I have an idea, go hop onto the BISON's forum and do that crap! Not here!Why get on if your always criticizing this team. Yes, they lost, yes they played horribly defensively, but guess what tomorrows a new game. I feel it's a waste of time for some of you people who get on here week end week out to pulverize this team. Their struggling right now, it's okay, it's early in the season. And to say mabe Jones should be fired, is a bad statement. He has a great team, with great talent. They will find there way! GO SIOUX! FYI: Whoever criticized Mitchell, your not too bright. That kid does more for this team than anyone! He is the heart and soul of this team!

First off, I agree with Bin, I thought Huff played well, and I thought Brekke played well. Brekke 20 and 10, Huff 15pts, 9 reb, 3, steals....How is that a bad game? Sure he takes bad shots, everyone does. It's part of growing. Sioux2013, Im really starting to think your a guy on the team who doesn't want to play with Huff...lol.I can picture you, on your computer in the hotel room, mad because you didn't do so well, so you have to trash talk the guys that did okay. All of your post about him are flushing the kid. Your a joke dude! Your a DEBBIE DOWNER to fullest extent kid. I dont get why people get on the forum to talk negative about our hoops program, hello your suppossed to be fans! I have an idea, go hop onto the BISON's forum and do that crap! Not here!Why get on if your always criticizing this team. Yes, they lost, yes they played horribly defensively, but guess what tomorrows a new game. I feel it's a waste of time for some of you people who get on here week end week out to pulverize this team. Their struggling right now, it's okay, it's early in the season. And to say mabe Jones should be fired, is a bad statement. He has a great team, with great talent. They will find there way! GO SIOUX! FYI: Whoever criticized Mitchell, your not too bright. That kid does more for this team than anyone! He is the heart and soul of this team!

Isn't calling them a great team a bit strong at this point?

Was wondering how long it would take you to protect your boy. Read all my posts. I have said many times what a good player Huff is and is probably one of the best athletes this school has had for many many years. I criticize him on his shot selection cause it has continued now for over a year. He is very aggressive which I like but he has to understand when he penetrates and 2-3 guys collapse on him we have several good shooters wide open. Others do take an occassional bad shot but not 4-6 a game. Huff needs to understand what are good shots for him and ones which are bad. I truly hope he learns and understands that this team has to play as one and not him trying to take over a game during crunch time and forcing bad situations with his shots. I enjoy watching Huff play but also get very upset watching all the bad shots when others are wide open. This team has the talent now its up to them and the coaches to figure out how to make the chemistry work. I dont believe this team has found the chemistry yet.

Matt-what are you talking about? They CAN together be a great team.

Sioux2013- bad shots are taking, I just feel how can you say someone played horrible, when he did OTHER good things. We have to look at statistics, his numbers are up from last year,so to the guy from the previous post that stated Huff simply isn't having a good sophomore year like we thought he would, how so? His numbers are up in each category, even shot selection(which he does need to work on) I'm not protecting the guy, but he is the only guy we really bash. If it was Mitchell, Shuler, Webb etc. I would protect them as well. Only because I realize no ones perfect, and Im a fan of Sioux hoops.

Sioux2013- bad shots are taking, I just feel how can you say someone played horrible, when he did OTHER good things. We have to look at statistics, his numbers are up from last year,so to the guy from the previous post that stated Huff simply isn't having a good sophomore year like we thought he would, how so? His numbers are up in each category, even shot selection(which he does need to work on) I'm not protecting the guy, but he is the only guy we really bash. If it was Mitchell, Shuler, Webb etc. I would protect them as well. Only because I realize no ones perfect, and Im a fan of Sioux hoops.

Dont believe I said he played horrible, he just took some horrible shots. Agree that some of his stats are up, especially assits to turnovers, which I value very highly. This could even be better with alittle more maturity. Again, Huff is very valuable part of this team. Two of their last 3 games they lost by 3 and that is only one possession. Possessions are so critical at this level and they must understand that.

Matt-what are you talking about? They CAN together be a great team. Sioux2013- bad shots are taking, I just feel how can you say someone played horrible, when he did OTHER good things. We have to look at statistics, his numbers are up from last year,so to the guy from the previous post that stated Huff simply isn't having a good sophomore year like we thought he would, how so? His numbers are up in each category, even shot selection(which he does need to work on) I'm not protecting the guy, but he is the only guy we really bash. If it was Mitchell, Shuler, Webb etc. I would protect them as well. Only because I realize no ones perfect, and Im a fan of Sioux hoops.
What am I talking about? You referred to them as a great team. I don't think they have accomplished nearly enough to be called a great team at this point. I've see great Sioux basketball teams. I hope this team develops into one that is as good as the Vonesh teams, but they have to prove that on the court. I'm not gonna just annoint them as a great team based on potential.

When evaluating a player anyone who knows what they are talking about will not look at scoring volume, but rather offensive EFFICIENCY. Huff is a volume shooter and thus will almost always be one of our top 1 or 2 scorers. If he shot every time down the floor i'm willing to be his numbers would be way up, but it would be no good for the team.

Thus far this sophomore year Huff is shooting 40% from the field, an abysmal 62% from the FT and a pathetic 18% from 3pt. When I say that he's not having the kind of soph year that we thought he would I mean it. He isn't maturing like we need him to if he is going to continue to take the volume of shots that he does. It's not that hard to understand.

I agree that at this point Huff SHOULD not shoot three's. I'm the first to say it. Not to mention working harder In practice to increase his free throw numbers, which are definitely horrible; last night, not so bad, I believe 3 for 4. All I'm saying guys, is that we're quick to point out the free throw percentage and the 3 point percentage and the 4-5 bad shots he takes, but at the end of the day; he is apart OUR Sioux program, let's motive the good things he does. Leading rebounder, leading steals, second or third in assist. That goes for any player. Webb, let's not critize his turnovers, but praise his big shots made in clutch, his improved three point percentage. Mitchell's blocking and shooting effort. Brekkes rebounding and toughness. That's all I'm saying. I'm sure these players read this thing and would we really want to take our players confidence down or feel less of of a player due to negativity coming from their OWN FANS!?

I'll re-state. It is not easy to win on the road. That being said, this was a tough one to lose, considering how well we were playing in the first half at one point. In regards to the Huff question. He was 6 of 16 from the floor, and I can only go with what I heard on the broadcast as I was only listening, but it sounds like- from what I counted that he forced 3 shots. So he forced 3 shots, at least he was trying to do something. I will ask this. So we are being critical about Huff but yet we are not being critical of players who are coming off the bench- many of whom are not even looking to score. No offense but you have to be a threat to score in order to be difficult to defend. The one bench player that does that is Schuler but after that I would say that we have guys that won't even look at the basket. It's easy to be critical of Huff sometimes but at least he's going towards the basket- trying to draw contact, drawing defenders etc. Believe it or not at home games I have seen him dish it out after a drive only to see the person who receives the pass to completely pass up on a wide open look. If I'm the guy that just drove it and swung it to you- you should at least try bury it. Otherwise, what is the point?

Listen we lost the UMKC game- but they are not a bad team. They are an ok team. Who lives and dies by the 3. Listening to Coach Jone's comments following the game he indicated that guarding the 3 was at the top of the list on their scout in what they conveyed to their team repeatedly in the lead up to the game. Apparently, players chose to either ignore or not give it enough weight, because the Kangaroos hit 12 3's at a 65% clip. That's why we lost- that and free throws. We didn't hit 2 foul shots on a trip to the line until late in the game---the person to do it...yup you guessed it- Huff. Offensively, I think we will be fine if we continue to be better in scoring off the bench, but we had better start defending better, that will lead to wins--and yes to wins on the road. If there is one thing I know about SDSU coming up it's that they like the 3 point shot too, and we had better have a desire of stopping it. Individuals did not lose the UMKC game, we lost it as a team. Every team has place where they need to grow, the question is will they? Go Sioux!

• Upvote 1

I'll re-state. It is not easy to win on the road. That being said, this was a tough one to lose, considering how well we were playing in the first half at one point. In regards to the Huff question. He was 6 of 16 from the floor, and I can only go with what I heard on the broadcast as I was only listening, but it sounds like- from what I counted that he forced 3 shots. So he forced 3 shots, at least he was trying to do something. I will ask this. So we are being critical about Huff but yet we are not being critical of players who are coming off the bench- many of whom are not even looking to score. No offense but you have to be a threat to score in order to be difficult to defend. The one bench player that does that is Schuler but after that I would say that we have guys that won't even look at the basket. It's easy to be critical of Huff sometimes but at least he's going towards the basket- trying to draw contact, drawing defenders etc. Believe it or not at home games I have seen him dish it out after a drive only to see the person who receives the pass to completely pass up on a wide open look. If I'm the guy that just drove it and swung it to you- you should at least try bury it. Otherwise, what is the point?

Listen we lost the UMKC game- but they are not a bad team. They are an ok team. Who lives and dies by the 3. Listening to Coach Jone's comments following the game he indicated that guarding the 3 was at the top of the list on their scout in what they conveyed to their team repeatedly in the lead up to the game. Apparently, players chose to either ignore or not give it enough weight, because the Kangaroos hit 12 3's at a 65% clip. That's why we lost- that and free throws. We didn't hit 2 foul shots on a trip to the line until late in the game---the person to do it...yup you guessed it- Huff. Offensively, I think we will be fine if we continue to be better in scoring off the bench, but we had better start defending better, that will lead to wins--and yes to wins on the road. If there is one thing I know about SDSU coming up it's that they like the 3 point shot too, and we had better have a desire of stopping it. Individuals did not lose the UMKC game, we lost it as a team. Every team has place where they need to grow, the question is will they? Go Sioux!

Agree that our defense is not what it needs to be. I dont think our defense would be this suspect if we still had Moody on the bench. He was the catalyst for our defense and I dont see the same defensive intensity as last year. I think another major factor for some of the play is the travel schedule. They flew to Idaho on Friday and then flew back on Sunday. Was back one day and then flew out to Kansas City. They flew back from Kansas today and now have to bus to South Dakota on Friday to play on Saturday. That will flat wear anybody down. Such a brutal road stretch.