SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

14 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

My Big Sky FBS scenario includes UCDAVIS and Cal Poly moving full time to the Sky for FBS by 2018.  If that happens, the Big West needs backfill.  UCSD announced today that it will attempt to move to DI.  Something is happening, because these conferences such as the Slummit and Big West should be stable with their numbers.  The conference don't operate is a vacuum like we do - they know seismic tremors are already here.

UCSD has been "attempting" to move to DI since 2011.  Students resoundingly voted down an athletics fee increase last time, will be interesting to see if they come close this time around, of course they haven't even decided if they're going to hold a vote or not.

8 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

You honestly think UCD and CP will fly their olympic sports all over the BSC footprint?

I think now that tv money has dried up, we'll see G5 conferences try to shrink their geographic footprint as much as they can to reduce expenses.  

13 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

You honestly think UCD and CP will fly their olympic sports all over the BSC footprint?

The West Coast schools will have their own division:

Poly, Davis, Sac St, Portland St, EWU, and Idaho

So that will limit travel.  Football drives the bus.

Poly, Davis, Sac, UND, NDSU, SDSU will have their own autobid baseball league.  California schools would only come this way for late series.  It's actually somewhat advantageous, as the Big West has great teams like Fullerton and Irvine, as it's hard to win that conference.

12 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

UCSD has been "attempting" to move to DI since 2011.  Students resoundingly voted down an athletics fee increase last time, will be interesting to see if they come close this time around, of course they haven't even decided if they're going to hold a vote or not.

Think the President will impose new fees on students if they don't vote yes this time.  An AAU school playing DII is a strange bird and is embarrassing for administrators.

14 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Think the President will impose new fees on students if they don't vote yes this time.  An AAU school playing DII is a strange bird and is embarrassing for administrators.

True, I think they're the only AAU public institution not in DI.  

5 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

My Big Sky FBS scenario includes UCDAVIS and Cal Poly moving full time to the Sky for FBS by 2018.  If that happens, the Big West needs backfill.  UCSD announced today that it will attempt to move to DI.  Something is happening, because these conferences such as the Slummit and Big West should be stable with their numbers.  The conference don't operate is a vacuum like we do - they know seismic tremors are already here.

Is 2018 roughly when conferences are going to look a lot different than today? First Idaho now the Cali teams, Fullerton's FBS plan, it sounds like by the end of the decade who knows what our conference mates will look like. 

31 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Is 2018 roughly when conferences are going to look a lot different than today? First Idaho now the Cali teams, Fullerton's FBS plan, it sounds like by the end of the decade who knows what our conference mates will look like. 

It's really not that difficult.  Whatever Big Sky schools that have FBS aspirations and can pay for them.  Idaho wants to remain FBS  and No Col, Idaho St, Weber St, S Utah, and N Ariz can barely fund FCS.  What's left is what will be FBS, plus the rest of the Dakotas as they will be forced to by UND's actions.

7 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The West Coast schools will have their own division:

Poly, Davis, Sac St, Portland St, EWU, and Idaho

So that will limit travel.  Football drives the bus.

Poly, Davis, Sac, UND, NDSU, SDSU will have their own autobid baseball league.  California schools would only come this way for late series.  It's actually somewhat advantageous, as the Big West has great teams like Fullerton and Irvine, as it's hard to win that conference.

i just don't see baseball at und lasting too much longer...faison still hasn't said how coa is going to be funded and i'm thinking most of the wac sports get cut?

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i just don't see baseball at und lasting too much longer...faison still hasn't said how coa is going to be funded and i'm thinking most of the wac sports get cut?

Think men's swimming is the one most at risk.  In a new Big Sky, there will be a need for women's swimming and Title IX scholarships.

UND baseball can play a lot of early games in the new Vikings stadium starting next year.

If the population of ND gets to 1.4 mill in 25 years, that essentially doubles the students that the school will serve. We need leadership to plan for that.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Chicago St needs emergency funding from the legislature  of $25 mill by March 1st to stay open.  Illinois is in dire financial shape. E Ill and W Ill may have issues too.

The WAC and Slummit may not have needed numbers by next year.

If WIU is out, that opens a spot for UND in the Summit and MVFC. Wait....never mind that thought, it's not in the prophecy.

2 hours ago, senor_sieve said:

If WIU is out, that opens a spot for UND in the Summit and MVFC. Wait....never mind that thought, it's not in the prophecy.

WIU leaving the SL would be a huge blow since they are a founding member of the league. Yes UND is a viable option if they get the same deal as USD, but maybe the ice hasn't smoothed over between Douple and UND.

54 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

WIU leaving the SL would be a huge blow since they are a founding member of the league. Yes UND is a viable option if they get the same deal as USD, but maybe the ice hasn't smoothed over between Douple and UND.

With all the potential change happening with the P5 the next few years, I think UND will be staying put in the Big Sky.  They are in much better shape for becoming a "second tier" conference than the MVFC is.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

With all the potential change happening with the P5 the next few years, I think UND will be staying put in the Big Sky.  They are in much better shape for becoming a "second tier" conference than the MVFC is.  

There has been absolutely no UND official who has been pining for the Slummit or MVFC.  This in spite of the Slummit needing UND for numbers.  Only NDSU trolls seem to be pining for UND to move.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

BSC has always been stable with I believe 4 defections since the creation of the league. The SL has a poor track record on keeping teams and what is keeping the Dakota schools in that league if something better were to approach them.

• Upvote 2

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 1:58 AM, darell1976 said:

BSC has always been stable with I believe 4 defections since the creation of the league. The SL has a poor track record on keeping teams and what is keeping the Dakota schools in that league if something better were to approach them.

No one leaves the BSC because there is no place to go. Outside of UM and maybe MSU there is not one member that any other conference would be interested in. The best BSC schools not located in Montana have already left for greener pastures. 

Is the Summit interested in UND. Honestly I think most members could care less what UND does. That said, if an invite was given I think the upper tier schools would want the invite to be on the condition that you upgrade your programs to be able to compete. Right now, your WBB may make it to mid-pack with a low RPI (tolerable, not preferable) your MBB would be a drag on the conference. We just don't need any new bottom feeders. The goal is to improve the level of play in the conference not slide backwards by inviting teams that can't compete.

• Downvote 8

13 minutes ago, jacksfan29 said:

No one leaves the BSC because there is no place to go. Outside of UM and maybe MSU there is not one member that any other conference would be interested in. The best BSC schools not located in Montana have already left for greener pastures. 

Is the Summit interested in UND. Honestly I think most members could care less what UND does. That said, if an invite was given I think the upper tier schools would want the invite to be on the condition that you upgrade your programs to be able to compete. Right now, your WBB may make it to mid-pack with a low RPI (tolerable, not preferable) your MBB would be a drag on the conference. We just don't need any new bottom feeders. The goal is to improve the level of play in the conference not slide backwards by inviting teams that can't compete.

LOL. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jacksfan29 said:

The WAC wanted the Montana schools and they said no. As for UND upgrading our programs to join the SL, are you serious? The SL is not the Big 10 or even the MAC it's the stepping stone for DI transfers. UND's women's team has already been to the dance since being eligible how about NDSU's women's basketball team? Our men's team has been to the conference tournament two out of the last 3 years so they aren't bottom feeders in fact they would be in the middle of your conference. So because SDSU is towards the top of the Slummit you have to spout out some trolling comments. Keep us informed on what team leaves and is replaced by a former NCC team from Minnesota or Sioux Falls.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jacksfan29 said:

The Slummit would prefer Mankato!:D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, homer said:

So I haven't always bought into SiouxVolley's comments but he has mentioned for a while about Witchita St. restarting football.  This is a tweet from today for WSU president John Bardo.  Mentions how "this showed up today"

Embedded image permalink

WSU has new marching band uniforms too.  Guess they won't be used at baseball games.

The Koch Brothers have bankrolled alot of WSU's academic upgrades too.

See an MVC FBS league like this forming:

Wichita St

MO St

N Iowa

I'll St

S Ill

Ind St

NMSU

Lamar

Sam Houston St

2 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

WSU has new marching band uniforms too.  Guess they won't be used at baseball games.

The Koch Brothers have bankrolled alot of WSU's academic upgrades too.

See an MVC FBS league like this forming:

Wichita St

MO St

N Iowa

I'll St

S Ill

Ind St

NMSU

Lamar

Sam Houston St

But, but where are the Dakota 3?