SiouxSports.com Forum

Opener Attendance

bincitysioux

39 members have voted

1. 1. Over or Under 10,000

• Over 10,000
    • Under 10,000

I think the problem that we have with the excitement level is that we have a coach who is trying not to lose. I attended a game last year and the guy sitting in front of me was from California and was just there to watch football and wasn't cheering for either team. At halftime he turned around and asked me "what is wrong with your coach". It was his observation that Mussman was trying not to lose. I watch a lot of Saints football and one of the things I like about Payton is he isn't afraid to take chances.

The Sioux need to get back to the Lennon ways and play to win.

I think we'll find out a lot more about this team against Idaho. Mussman isn't going to be able to run his boring vanilla offense hoping the defense can pitch a shutout like it did against Drake, Idaho is going to be pissed about that Bowling Green performance and will be looking to make a statement, Muss better dig into the playbook and open things up early or it could be a long night.

I went to the game on Thursday and regularly tail gate...The game was crap, the environment was terrible, and the product on the field was laughable...Needless to say, it will take alot more improvement for the Football team to represent the Fighting Sioux...Maybe its a blessing the name goes away as the Football team probably doesn't deserve to use it anymore with the product they put on the field. Lastly, I go to the hockey games and that is a real, professional product displayed night in and night out...The football game was a hyped version of what a high school puts out for production value...a screaming chick interviewing people in the stands and she couldn't even say Season Ticket holder at the delivery point of her interview. Additionally, the crowd was dead for most of the game and again the cool stuff they try to do with the video screens is no better than a monster truck show. Try getting some training from the folks at the Engelstad and maybe the tickets are worth the free price I paid since they were being handed out by many at the tailgate event....God help us when we actually play D-I talent on a regular basis.

BobIwabuchiFan

That's real nice.................that type of attitute is the problem with the whole nickname debate.

I went to the game on Thursday and regularly tail gate...The game was crap, the environment was terrible, and the product on the field was laughable...Needless to say, it will take alot more improvement for the Football team to represent the Fighting Sioux...Maybe its a blessing the name goes away as the Football team probably doesn't deserve to use it anymore with the product they put on the field. Lastly, I go to the hockey games and that is a real, professional product displayed night in and night out...The football game was a hyped version of what a high school puts out for production value...a screaming chick interviewing people in the stands and she couldn't even say Season Ticket holder at the delivery point of her interview. Additionally, the crowd was dead for most of the game and again the cool stuff they try to do with the video screens is no better than a monster truck show. Try getting some training from the folks at the Engelstad and maybe the tickets are worth the free price I paid since they were being handed out by many at the tailgate event....God help us when we actually play D-I talent on a regular basis.

BobIwabuchiFan

We know all you care about is the name, logo and hockey. We know this. We get it. You couldn't care less about any other sport on campus and everything is football's fault regarding the name and logo.

Just stay over in the hockey forum and stop making comments over here that make no sense. All you do is troll over here and take pot shots.

So I heard all this complaining during the nickname debate about getting into a new conference and how great it would be mainly for a sport that can't sell out a home opener and is 4,000 seats empty for that opener. Someone please tell me again why it was a good idea to sell-out for that Big Sky conference? I know people say it is not just about hockey but in this case, hockey drives the money. I just think it was the wrong attitude to take. I also now I will get ripped for this but oh well.

Another GREAT comment by on of our GREAT hockey (only) fans.

BobIwabuchiFan

I guess the football fans need to drink a lot more before and during the game, to make it exciting, eh?

BobIwabuchiFan

At the risk of being labeled a hockey only fan (I'm not, but have been very critical of Mussman and the product he puts out), I have to agree with Bob that the crap they put up on the screens is downright embarrassing. Fire the crowd up with sharp, aggressive play. Please dump the video crap that makes us all look like idiots. I know they are trying to fire up the crowd, but do it with play on the field. During the Lennon years we didn't need this high school side-show.

Another GREAT comment by on of our GREAT hockey (only) fans.

Why I do prefer hockey all together over any sport, professional sports included. I sat at home thursday and watched the football game on TV, so I guess there goes your only hockey statement. Are you a football only person? I was making an observation, you can disagree, but keep the name calling to yourself.

• Upvote 1

I think this is a question many more football fans need to ask. At least I haven't heard the "we're doing the move to D1 right" drivel lately. We aren't with the exception of the volleyball team.

A year ago I may have agreed with this. I think Jones is building a pretty good basketball team right now. I'm looking forward to the upcoming season, which is something that I couldn't have said a couple of years ago.

The soccer team also made some strides at the end of last season and are not doing too badly this season. Swimming and DIving continues to improve and will do fine in Division I.

Football has me most concerned, but maybe things will change in FB this year like they did for BB last year.

A year ago I may have agreed with this. I think Jones is building a pretty good basketball team right now. I'm looking forward to the upcoming season, which is something that I couldn't have said a couple of years ago.

The soccer team also made some strides at the end of last season and are not doing too badly this season. Swimming and DIving continues to improve and will do fine in Division I.

Football has me most concerned, but maybe things will change in FB this year like they did for BB last year.

Ok, I might have been a little harsh on the Swimming and Diving team. The men's BB team has progressed - they are no longer getting beat by the DAC teams like Mayville State. The move to D1 was mainly pushed by the "football only" crowd. We heard two completely opposite whines from them. Before the move it was "we can't compete in recruiting with NDSU because they are Division I". After the move it was "we can't get any top recruits because we aren't playoff eligible". OK football program, it's time to put up or shut up. Two years ago we got smacked by an NAIA school. Last year 3-8. So far this year we look uninspired with the addition of trashy high school quality video for our games. We don't appear to try to take it to anyone. A full year of this scheme and there will be about 5000 people and no students at home games. Time to show us that we're ready to compete.

BobIwabuchiFan

I went to the game and I also tailgate as often as I can. I went to watch a football game. I saw a methodical and careful win. A nice win the program needed to have. We are starting a qb that would have been a redshirt freshmen if he came here for his freshman year. But, not even having that year under his belt in the system, I think the coaches understandably kept things basic and safe. I think it was a great start to the season. Against an FCS team that has been around for a while. He showed flashes of being something at qb that we haven't had for a couple years. He could be the qb that takes us into the first 2 years of the BSC. I also saw a Sioux defense pitch a shutout.

But, If you go to a college football game and worrry about "production values" and a "chick interviewing people in the stands" you just might not be the one to judge the "product they put on the field." Possibly you would be more at home at a Monster Truck show.

• Upvote 3

I went to the game and I also tailgate as often as I can. I went to watch a football game. I saw a methodical and careful win. A nice win the program needed to have. We are starting a qb that would have been a redshirt freshmen if he came here for his freshman year. But, not even having that year under his belt in the system, I think the coaches understandably kept things basic and safe. I think it was a great start to the season. Against an FCS team that has been around for a while. He showed flashes of being something at qb that we haven't had for a couple years. He could be the qb that takes us into the first 2 years of the BSC. I also saw a Sioux defense pitch a shutout.

But, If you go to a college football game and worrry about "production values" and a "chick interviewing people in the stands" you just might not be the one to judge the "product they put on the field." Possibly you would be more at home at a Monster Truck show.

Agreed that our QB is the equivalent of a red-shirt freshman. However, who's been in charge of recruiting for the past 4 years - Mussman? The fact that we don't have an experienced QB is a reflection on him. If we have to rely on being careful and methodical at this point in our home opener against a team that doesn't give scholarships, that says a lot to me - none of it real positive. The fact that you think this "redshirt freshman" gives us something at QB that we haven't had for a couple of years says a lot too about our transition. Bottom line is that we need something to be fired up about and Mussman is giving us vanilla all the way.

I was at the game as well (as I am a season ticket holder). I was pleased with the effort on the field and I am optimistic about the future. That being said, the video board stuff and the FM Redhawks syle between innings histrionics leave a bit to be desired. It is inauthentic and hokey.

I was at the game as well (as I am a season ticket holder). I was pleased with the effort on the field and I am optimistic about the future. That being said, the video board stuff and the FM Redhawks syle between innings histrionics leave a bit to be desired. It is inauthentic and hokey.

Agree, but that's not the point. The football part of it should be enough for a grown up person. If you need to be entertained between plays........if the football game isn't enough for you, maybe you're at the wrong venue. I agree they tried too hard, and did a poor job. But, it should be about the football game. (Kind of like not getting to caught up in the live cow auction on the field in Brookings at halftime of the Beef Bowl in years past. An adult football fan could get past that and worry about the game. That's all I"m saying.)

Agree, but that's not the point. The football part of it should be enough for a grown up person. If you need to be entertained between plays........if the football game isn't enough for you, maybe you're at the wrong venue. I agree they tried too hard, and did a poor job. But, it should be about the football game. (Kind of like not getting to caught up in the live cow auction on the field in Brookings at halftime of the Beef Bowl in years past. An adult football fan could get past that and worry about the game. That's all I"m saying.)

I must have not have made my point very well. It should all be gone. I was at the Bison game last night (hey, I like to watch football.) If some yahoo had tried to run a balloon kicking contest (actually done at the Alerus) during a break they would have run him or her out on a rail.

Agreed that our QB is the equivalent of a red-shirt freshman. However, who's been in charge of recruiting for the past 4 years - Mussman? The fact that we don't have an experienced QB is a reflection on him. If we have to rely on being careful and methodical at this point in our home opener against a team that doesn't give scholarships, that says a lot to me - none of it real positive. The fact that you think this "redshirt freshman" gives us something at QB that we haven't had for a couple of years says a lot too about our transition. Bottom line is that we need something to be fired up about and Mussman is giving us vanilla all the way.

It's just unfortunate for us that a guy like Coach Mussman, who played big time colege football and who has been coaching at the college level for about 20 years, doesn't have you vast knowledge on mattters of coaching and recruiting. (Some of those Sioux offenses he directed were anything but vanila) You really should get out from behind your computer and share your expertise and carefully explain to Coach Mussman how to correct his shortcomings.

I know this is a place to express opinions, but is sad to read how much more knowledgeable some of you actually believe you are than our current staff. I'll take 7 or 8 or more vanilla wins this year.

• Upvote 2

It's just unfortunate for us that a guy like Coach Mussman, who played big time colege football and who has been coaching at the college level for about 20 years, doesn't have you vast knowledge on mattters of coaching and recruiting. (Some of those Sioux offenses he directed were anything but vanila) You really should get out from behind your computer and share your expertise and carefully explain to Coach Mussman how to correct his shortcomings.

I know this is a place to express opinions, but is sad to read how much more knowledgeable some of you actually believe you are than our current staff. I'll take 7 or 8 or more vanilla wins this year.

Think Mussman has done a great job so far - make your case.

I watched the game, pretty lack luster performance and crowd. That place looked like a morgue on tv imo.

I have a hard time taking you seriously when you use a profile picture such as yours. New quarterback kept the playbook rather simple IMO. I have seen much worse crowds in this transition. Go back to bisonville.

You have this all backward. Mussman is what his record says he is. According to the athletic department website he is 15-17. .469 is a helluva batting average, it sucks as a head coach. With that record, criticism is expected. No one needs to justify criticism of Mussman with anything more than referencing his won/loss record. It is you that needs to do the explaining.

I just stated what I saw at the game...the product on the field doesn't look better than what we had last year. The production value is important to the sports venue...Ask yourself if you went to see Hockey in a tin shed with the ridiculoous interviews and activities that go on during the football game. Honestly, the best part of the game was the tail-gating and apparently many Sioux fans actually agree with me as they tend to leave the tailgating event and go home to watch the football game. If you think I am being too harsh, you only have to look at the attendance at the games when we struggle with the next two games - again, it doesn't take a viking fan to realize you need a quarterback to win and to win on a regular basis. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so....

BobIwabuchiFan

The production value is important to the sports venue...Ask yourself if you went to see Hockey in a tin shed with the ridiculoous interviews and activities that go on during the football game.

I fail to see your point...................

I go to all the hockey games, and I see REA staff slingshot fans across the ice as a human bowling ball, little kids doing the chicken-dance, watch them do trivia questions with students, and see them play blindfolded hide and seek on the ice.

I can only assume that your agrument is that all of these tacky stunts are simply more tolerable when they take place at the home venue of a program that is excelling rather than at one where the program has been struggling lately.

Personally, I'm far more concerned with what is taking place on the ice or on the field than what Max Huber is doing....................

You have this all backward. Mussman is what his record says he is. According to the athletic department website he is 15-17. .469 is a helluva batting average, it sucks as a head coach. With that record, criticism is expected. No one needs to justify criticism of Mussman with anything more than referencing his won/loss record. It is you that needs to do the explaining.

So he was a great offensive coach before the transition, but lousy afterwards? Lennon left abruptly at a difficult time in the transition. Took some coaches with him. We lost Chappelle and Murray early. Also, I don't think it's easy to recruit to Grand Forks, ND, but we're seeing big leaps there. I think we've seen FCS type of recruiting the last few years that will make us a very good team. He's done a good job keeping things going in the generally right direction during this time. There is a stability that you will see benefits of over the next few years. It's easy to think we all know so much, but who are we kidding? Good things are ahead for UND football.

How do you like him now?

So he was a great offensive coach before the transition, but lousy afterwards? Lennon left abruptly at a difficult time in the transition. Took some coaches with him. We lost Chappelle and Murray early. Also, I don't think it's easy to recruit to Grand Forks, ND, but we're seeing big leaps there. I think we've seen FCS type of recruiting the last few years that will make us a very good team. He's done a good job keeping things going in the generally right direction during this time. There is a stability that you will see benefits of over the next few years. It's easy to think we all know so much, but who are we kidding? Good things are ahead for UND football.

I could make you a long list of good coordinators that failed as head coaches.