SiouxSports.com Forum

Don't let your Huskies...

PCM

While scanning the St. Cloud State University hockey media guide, I spotted something interesting on the inside front cover where former Huskies playing in the NHL are showcased.

Notice the highlighted No. 4 picture. That's Tyler Arneson, who plays for the Chicago Blackhawks.

scsu_full.jpg

Now take a closer look at Arneson's picture. The Blackhawk logos on his uniform are blurred out.

scsu_detail.jpg

And that's the latest from PCSU. :lol:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, you can tell SCCC is really "proud" of its NHL playing alums. Remember the INCH tidbit about an SCCC player from the 40s who had had his Blackhawk logo replaced by a husky on their mural? Gotta love it when the PC nazis in White Cloud equate Indians with dogs. :ohmy::silly:

I believe I read on the SCSU message board that they have pictures of all the SCSU alums in the NHL at the NHC. They removed the Blackhawk from Tyler's picture. :silly:

SCSU fans are up in arms about this. Apparently, they turned Arnason's puck around too, because of the logo. They feel, as do I, that Tyler deserves the same respect as any other Husky in the NHL.

There's also a mural of someone else who played for Chicago, and they put a St. Cloud logo over it.

You could be right, Diggler. But because the photo in question appears to be naturally blurry, it's difficult to tell. The goalie pictured is Sam LoPresti. He played at SCSU from 1940-42 and also played for Chicago.

I saw the altered photos in the "Huskies in the NHL" gallery at the National Hockey Center in St. Cloud and could not believe my eyes. First, I seriously doubt SCSU had the photographer's permission to alter his or her work. Second, I doubt SCSU had the player's permission to alter his image (celebrities, unlike you and I, have monetary value in their likenesses). Third, if it's so vile a thing that a former Husky played for the Blackhawks, then don't display that player's picture in the first place. This reminds me of the UND law prof who plays on the law school's hockey team, wears a Sioux jersey but uses black tape to cover up the name and logo. He could, of course, wear a plain practice jersey in a matching color but then he wouldn't get to make his political statement.

• 2 months later...

Wow! I knew SCSU people were stupid but I didn't know how stupid. Unbelievable! I'm not a big NHL buff but I'm pretty sure Tyler Arneson is in the upper echelon of NHL players. I didn't know he went to SCSU. That's amazing that they would blur out the logo. Total ignorance!

I have two Siberian Husky dogs and they tell me that they're offended by the SCSU nickname and logo. They won't go to any sporting even that the Husky's play in.

I am always following this board and could care less about the mascot issue. I had to read this post because it was about SCSU. Who is stupid Marty? You! How in the hell can you compare two dogs to a race of people. Iwould never say UND fans are stupid because I know too many that are good people. You wrote this in jest (i assume) but there are usually two sides to an issue, and I am not in a posistion to tell you or anybody else what should offend them.

I am always following this board and could care less about the mascot issue.  I had to read this post because it was about SCSU.  Who is stupid Marty?  You!  How in the hell can you compare two dogs to a race of people.  Iwould never say UND fans are stupid because I know too many that are good people.  You wrote this in jest (i assume) but there are usually two sides to an issue, and I am not in a posistion to tell you or anybody else what should offend them.

:)

Arnason had the go ahead goal in last night's game vs. the Flames. Hard to believe he's having this much success in the NHL, considering who else came out of the WCHA when he did. Too bad SCSU "officials" don't feel it is justified to recognize that success in a respectful manner. Blurring an official logo is asinine. ;)

The UofM is almost as bad as SCSU when it comes to this issue. The UofM will not print the word "Sioux" in their media guide and the public address announcer will not say "Sioux." However, the UofM is a little more subtle and doesn't go out of their way to broadcast their opposition to the name, like Saigo and SCSU officials do. SCSU takes it to the extreme, by trying to pass resolutions in the WCHA to ban Indian nicknames and bluring the blackhawk logo on their own alumnus. That's what makes SCSU look stupid. It appears to me that they don't care about "offending" people, but are just trying to make a leftist political statement.

While I expect liberal lunacy out of leftist institutions like the UofM, it's sad to see it from SCSU. I don't believe most SCSU fans are in favor of the policy. SCSU students/fans don't strike me as birkenstock, tree-hugging liberals. I just wish more of them would speak out against Saigo's policy.

I don't think it is a thing of being in favor of or against a specific policy. WE JUST DON"T CARE. If our administration has a view, and 20 protestors out of 16000 students has a particular view on a issue, so be it. UND has a legal right to have the mascot so what is the issue?

Also I don't see an outcry of support at UM or SCSU to say the word Sioux over the PA. I can see how that is viewed as disrespectful of UND. And I can see how the Sioux (or a number of them) find the use of their name as a mascot as disrespectful. I guess that is the business of UM or SCSU. AGAIN I AM NOT FOR OR AGAINST THE USE OF THE SIOUX NAME.

Who is stupid Marty? You! How in the hell can you compare two dogs to a race of people.

Some people would call me an idiot. Some people would say I am very smart. It depends on how you get to know me. I like to think I'm pretty smart. I mean I go to a private college and get pretty good grades. That's enough about me though I'm sure you're getting quite bored.

I'm comparing two nicknames! You couldn't be more wrong. I'm comparing a nickname that honors a people to a nickname that honors a dog. It's not like UND has some guy dressed up in a Sioux costume and is dancing around during events. In no way has UND ever embarassed, disgraced, or made fun of the Sioux people. They are honoring them and that is it.

WE JUST DON"T CARE.

Therein lies the problem & the reason the SCSU administration is able to continue this ridiculous policy: 20 protestors & a school president has more influence than the 15,000 or so students who say or do nothing in response. Sad. Is apathy an overriding theme in your life? Do you think an administration that is goofy enough to focus on an inconsequential logo/nickname will just stop there? If the Sioux nickname were so controversial amongst the Sioux people the UND administration would have changed it long ago; but it's endorsed overwhelmingly by that proud tribe. Most of those who are "offended" are white liberals in their ivory towers. Buy a clue & get off the fence.

Selling Sioux-per hot dogs or selling Fighting Sioux shotglasses in the bookstore doesn't qualify?

Every NDSU grad I've met has been conservative...yet many side with the wacky liberals on this issue just because of their blinding hatred towards anything UND.

WE JUST DON"T CARE.  If our administration has a view, and 20 protestors out of 16000 students has a particular view on a issue, so be it.

When you're school starts circulating petitions to ban Indian nicknames in the WCHA, your entire school looks foolish, not just Saigo and the 20 protestors.

I'm actually in favor of keeping the nickname, I just don't like it when untruths are being sold as the truth. The part I quoted is the only part I had a problem with.

If naming a processed meat and who-knows-what product shaped into a sausage casing, and thrown on top of a bun is honoring the proud tradition of the Sioux people, I guess I'm wrong and will admit it. Same goes for selling the shotglasses in the UND bookstore. I would think most unbiased minds would find the two examples above cases of the Sioux people being embarassed, disgraced, or being made fun of.