SiouxSports.com Forum

Show the NSIC they don't belong in D2

Bisonfan1234

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo! Winona State won a playoff game, so I don't think they have to prove anything. I thinks it's the weak MIAA that now has something to prove. Duluth was no slouch last year in the playoffs. Top to bottom the NSIC is clearly weaker, but their top teams are playoff worthy. They aren't like the Bentleys or CW Posts.

Yo!  Winona State won a playoff game, so I don't think they have to prove anything.  I thinks it's the weak MIAA that now has something to prove. 

While the MIAA had a lot of success in the 90's, I imagine they're ready to try their luck in another region starting next year. Since NW Mo. St. won the national championship in 1999, the MIAA has a dismal 1 win, 6 loss record in the playoffs. Not good.

I have nothing but respect for what Winona St. has done. I know they're in the NSIC, but they stepped up to the plate and beat some good teams in their non-conference schedule and won a playoff game- all with about 15 scholarships. I expect they'll bring a solid team and be ready to play next Saturday at the Alerus.

Bison1234, give it a rest. What more does Winona have to do? Have fun watching the playoffs again. I'm sorry Bison fans, I do respect your program, but this constant ripping of Winona and the NSIC is just stupid. Rip on the MIAA. I know there is a fear of the NSIC coming on and maybe you can't stand that. some NCC schools used to dominate recruits but now with another D2 league in the area, not so easy anymore.

I hope for NCC fans, Winona doesn't win on SAturday, because you'll never hear the end of it.

Your league will get much better with the 3rd place team from the NSIC coming in. Hail UMD

I will be pulling for the Sioux again this next weekend. I hope you pound the hell out of Winona to show them that they really don't compare to the NCC schools. I am sure you will. Good Luck on Saturday.

And as I said in a previous thread......the MIAA is WEAK. Show Winona how weak the NSIC is.....

ok I can only read NDSU ignorance so long without responding....the reason we do not want to play the rotten BISON is because the way D 2 and the NCAA have their point system set up is that playing teams in your region and same classification ( ie Div. 2) you will get more points than playing a 1AA school or even a 1A school....so why play any school that is a higher division than yourself unless your getting a huge gurantee......the only reason the BISON are belly aching over this whole deal is that they lost last...and now they will never get the nickel again...face it....putting more money into a rotten program only puts your school further in debt....if it smells like....and it looks like......then it propably is ......putting more scholarships into a horrible program wont gurantee success get a better coach and or a AD in there who knows whats going on....then you may have a chance.....your school at D 2 was fully funded....36 scholarships and you still couldnt win....so what is your excuse for not winning then???

I still hold to my opinion no matter what some of you think. A good D2 football team can compete with a 1AA school. I am not saying they win all the time, but there are teams in D2 right now that would compete better than a bunch of 1AA schools.

Example - NDSU obviously was able to compete with a pretty good Montana team this season.

I am a UND guy, I even played football for a couple years at UND. My problem with not playing NDSU is that I feel the reason given is just an excuse. If a 1AA school was rated properly as far as D2 playoff implication, I still think UND would back out and let the rivalry die.

I am only going on opinion based on the things I saw when I played at UND, and not much has changed.

I hated playing the cupcake teams as well because UND 3rd and 4th string guys could whoop up on them and I don't think it really prepared the team for conference play. Maybe one of the reasons that UND seems to get off to a slow start most seasons. Especially on offense!

PS. The Bison still Blow

I still hold to my opinion no matter what some of you think. A good D2 football team can compete with a 1AA school. I am not saying they win all the time, but there are teams in D2 right now that would compete better than a bunch of 1AA schools.

Example - NDSU obviously was able to compete with a pretty good Montana team this season.

I am a UND guy, I even played football for a couple years at UND. My problem with not playing NDSU is that I feel the reason given is just an excuse. If a 1AA school was rated properly as far as D2 playoff implication, I still think UND would back out and let the rivalry die.

I am only going on opinion based on the things I saw when I played at UND, and not much has changed.

I hated playing the cupcake teams as well because UND 3rd and 4th string guys could whoop up on them and I don't think it really prepared the team for conference play. Maybe one of the reasons that UND seems to get off to a slow start most seasons. Especially on offense!

PS. The Bison still Blow

It is nice to see an opinion from a sioux fan that is not dictated by Roger Thomas. :silly: I for one would like to see the rivalry continue but if RT and UND feel it is not to their advantage to play NDSU so be it. Also if making the playoffs is the most important thing for UND and their fans... why do only 7K show up, while 12K plus show up for the bison-sioux game at 26.50 a pop... ( a game which is also on TV).

P.S. if the bison still blow... and the sioux are the opposite of the bison... that means the sioux do what :ohmy:

My problem with not playing NDSU is that I feel the reason given is just an excuse.  If a 1AA school was rated properly as far as  D2 playoff implication, I still think UND would back out and let the rivalry die.

I agree that UND probably wouldn't have continued the series even without the SOS implication, because the argument used to be that "we wouldn't be competitive". The game hurting UND's playoff chances was a tremendous convenience to those opposed to continuing the series. Hopefully D-II will continue to tweak the playoff selection criteria and improve that SOS stat -- an RPI that completely excluded games against non-Divisional opponents is my personal leaning.

It's hard to argue against the assertion that the top tier of DII is very competitive with DI-AA in football. The best of DII have been transitioning to I-AA quite successfully for 20+ years. UNC's success this season is another great example.

P.S. if the bison still blow... and the sioux are the opposite of the bison... that means the sioux do what

So if the Bison and Sioux are opposite and the Sioux have good football team that is in the playoffs. What does that mean for your team?

Oh, you don't have to say we all know already.

If that's what he is saying, he's wrong. We won't play you because you would have an unfair advantage. Why would you even want to play us? We're just a lowly D-2 team. You rip us for playing UMC, but then turn around and whine because we refuse to be your sacrificial lamb??? Sorry, can't have it both ways. Remember, the Nickel is ours forever. HaHaHa!!!

You can keep our nickel warm for us until you move up to D1.

I don't, however, think that we should play when UND is D2 and NDSU is D1AA. The deck would be stacked in our favor (in other words, we'd be too good for you).

Yeah you're right...it is funny! HAHAHAHA!

oh gosh no...the Bison fans would still be whining either way.....its just their nature....ignorance and arrogance are a lethal combination....and they possess both...by the way Bison fans...is the Fargodome so far in the red cuz they havent hosted any playoff games in their existance?:silly: guess they came up a little short on those big projections when the BISON didnt make the playoffs....keep bashing UND and their crowd and UND letting NDSU fall on their face because you guys will...if their was so much more money to be made in 1AA football..why arent all of their games on tv like 1A????oh yeah their championship game comes on right after the D2 game....big time coverage there....what will 1AA do with all that tv revenue....oh yeah their is NONE......living the pipe dream.....it all comes down to NDSU is pissy cuz UND has D1 hockey and UND is good.....so now it becomes a contest on how they think they can out do UND......good luck going in the red....the year Mich St. went to the Rose Bowl, won the basketball championship, their hockey team went to the frozen four all in the same year, their athletic dept made 80,000 dollars after all that success??? bottom line is all athletic dept will need to be self sufficent or in this day and age....your programs will all be gone.....so good luck NDSU finding all that extra money.....oh yeah you guys will get Oklahoma in their for football....NOT....and as Gene Taylor said.. and Tim Myles, why wouldnt UND want to play NDSU....the Kansas game drew 16,000 people....oh yeah NDSU basketball is not Kansas....wake up SU....your glory days of the 80's football is over.....and WBB is brutal.......stick a fork in the Bison meat boys....its DONE......

I'm a UND fan and I am still whining about it. The game means so much more than just the Nickel Trophy.

So what if NDSU has a slight advantage with scholarships, it will just be that much more embarassing when they lose.

Once again the playoffs are just a easy excuse (UND would not play the game anyway)

I think it is UND that is more hung up about the rivalry than NDSU. Most of us have moved on. I am paying more attention to the D1AA playoffs this year because that is our future. I don't like to see the rivalry end, but then again NDSU is moving up and needs to schedule D1AA opponent. Clearly a D2 opponent hurts you when trying to make the D1AA playoffs. Montana has had to sweat that one out. That being said, I think that the NDSU/UND rivalry is a big enough deal in the State of North Dakota that both schools probably should drop the petty whining about playoffs, scholarships, etc. and play the game. I think that NDSU will keep an invitation open to UND to play the game. It is really up to UND as to whether or not the series continues.

so good luck NDSU finding all that extra money.....oh yeah you guys will get Oklahoma in their for football....NOT....and as Gene Taylor said.. and Tim Myles, why wouldnt UND want to play NDSU........wake up SU....your glory days of the 80's football is over.....and WBB is brutal.......stick a fork in the Bison meat boys....its DONE......

is the Fargodome so far in the red cuz they havent hosted any playoff games in their existance?:silly:
The Fargodome has been "in the black" every year of its existence, they may actually finish in slightly the red this year due to a few cancelled concerts and some lawyer costs due to changing management companies, but overall it has done quite well

1119fargodome.gif

if their was so much more money to be made in 1AA football..why arent all of their games on tv like 1A????oh yeah their championship game comes on right after the D2 game....

Many IAA games are on TV the semi's and NC game on espn .. also regional fox networks carry regular season games. Did NDSU ever say they were going D1 to make money.. I don't think so.. I beleive the move is to compete with similar institutions

the Kansas game drew 16,000 people....oh yeah NDSU basketball is not Kansas

No it didn't it drew 13280... still an very very good crowd

http://www.fightingsioux.com/sports/mbball...-02/02mbb10.htm

Thanks for the good wishes, I wish you are your university the best in the future. :ohmy:

I think it is UND that is more hung up about the rivalry than NDSU. Most of us have moved on.

I think that NDSU will keep an invitation open to UND to play the game. It is really up to UND as to whether or not the series continues.

Those statements contradict themselves. WYOBISONMAN, I respect your opinion and have enjoyed your thoughts on the subject, but you couldn't get through your post without saying that it was up to UND to keep this series going. That is a lie, UND did not do a thing here, we are still staying in DII. Quit trying to put the ball in our court, because it is not.

I think it is UND that is more hung up about the rivalry than NDSU. Most of us have moved on. I am paying more attention to the D1AA playoffs this year because that is our future.

That is priceless another year of NDSU sitting at home not in the playoffs. I hope you enjoy watching your team not in the playoffs... Yikes :silly:

But the fact of the matter is the ball is in UND's court. It will be UND thatdecided whether or not to continue the game. NDSU is leaving the offer open. And, the unfortunate fact remains that as things stand now a NDSU/UND game will do no favors to either school in the playoff race. Obviously NDSU won't see that impact until the probation period is over, but it will still affect NDSU. The real issue is whether the rivalry is more important than the playoffs. On that I think both sides are split. Remember though.....NDSU has always said the offer to play UND is open.