SiouxSports.com Forum

Show the NSIC they don't belong in D2

Bisonfan1234

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in agreement with WYOBISONMAN in this case, UND essentially is the team with the choice here. Granted NDSU decided to move to 1AA, but that does not mean the teams cannot play.

Quit trying to put the ball in our court, because it is not.

I am not a Bison fan in any respects, but the ball is in UND's court. UND maybe never wanted it this way but it happened and the athletic department made there choice, and they are the only group that can change that choice.

It's over the Bison are Division 1-AA and the Sioux are D2. There is no reason to continue to play this game, it is history. The Sioux have proven that they want to make the playoffs and continue to be successful instead of simply "looking good" and playing 1-AA opponents. Maybe if the Bison scheduled Moorehead this year instead of UC Davis they'd be in the playoffs. The Sioux haven't scheduled a 1-AA opponent for how many years now? And the Bison think since they are going to move to 1-AA that will all change, I think not. The Bison need this game BAD, they need a guarantee sell out because they are DESPERATE to fill the football schedule, especially with some home games. The Sioux on the other hand see no real reason to do so and I am glad, all we would get is an extra 3,000 fans a game every other year with the other team having double the advantage (scholarships). I believe the Sioux will eventually make the leap and then everyone will be happy when the rivalry continues, but personally I won't mind if the Sioux and Bison never played each other again, it's just not a big deal. Now hockey on the other hand. :silly:

For all this crap about "UND is scared to play us!"..."Why doesn't UND want to play us anymore :-("..."WHAT about the RIVALRY??? (Even if we have to stack the deck to have a chance to win)"...let me ask this...why would NDSU...(Or as some Fargo Radio personalities are referring to it now THE North Dakota State University? - "get a life!")...even want to bother with a pissy little DII Institution like UND?? It certainly wouldn't help YOU for the playoffs (OOPS FORGOT - YOU WON"T EVEN BE CONSIDERED FOR THE I-AA PLAYOFFS UNTIL 2007!!) You've got Ohio State and Nebraska to schedule, after all, and Minnesota!!!! (You might have a shot at them...ask us for a reference!! We've been playing them for 50 years!) After all the BIG schools you're talking about LAUGH at you - have fun drumming up interest for Boise Idaho coming to the FargoBarn - You'll WISH UND was coming to town. The real deal is YOU need us more than we need you in the next few years. Heck - after you double us up is scholarships you might even win!!! But for now, lets talk about how big a check you're going to write us to come to Farg-hole next year??? GOOD LUCK!!!!

I didn't realize I went to school with a bunch of wimps that have no sense of history or tradition. The fact of the matter is UND could still make the playoffs with a loss to NDSU, and I bet UND would win more or these games then most of you seem to think.

NDSU is offering to play UND as D-1AA vs. D-2. That's like offering to fight the schoolyard bully, but only if you can bring a couple of friends to back you up. Why not fight him one on one? I guess the Bison must be afraid of the big bad Sioux, that's why they went running away from the NCC with their tails between their legs. Now they come back and challenge us with a stacked deck??? Play us on a level playing field or don't play us at all.

Dave K, you are sounding defensive and a little scared of playing any 1AA schools and that should not be the case. Any 1AA school would have some advantage but not enough to insure a win. Good D2 teams play with and beat good 1AA teams on a fairly regular basis and NDSU is not going to be a good 1AA team. The fact is if UND plays the game and wins or loses it does not matter for playoffs as long as they take care of business. Remember 6 teams from the region will make the playoffs next year.

GLIAC, NCC, NSIC, and that crap conference out west with only 4 teams

Uh, guys...obviously you can talk about anything you want on this site as it pertains to UND athletics, but this issue has been absolutely debated to death over the past few months. Nothing we say is going to affect whether the series continues or not, and nothing anybody says is probably going to change somebody else's opinion about it. It seems bizarre to me that we are a few days removed from a national quarterfinal game and this whole "should they or shouldn't they continue to play NDSU" thing is dominating conversation. The Nickel has been won (again). For the time being anyway, it would seem that discussing the playoffs should be the priority, and not debate over somebody we're probably not going to play for at least the next few seasons.

Verk62,

nobody on here is a "whimp" for saying that we shouldn't play NDSU. i cant see how you dont realize that it just doesn't make sense to play them right now. Win or lose, it would hurt our SOS index every year for the playoff selection criteria. would you want UND to be in the same boat as NDSU was in for the playoffs this year? i wouldnt want that. and that is the possibility you would face EVERY year for playing them. Yes the rivalry means alot to me too. Especially because i grew up in GF watching those games since i was 7 years old. i know the rivalry is important, and it CAN continue. it's just that it has to occur when both schools are D1-AA, which i think will eventually happen. until they are both in the same division, i think the rivalry should be on a temporary hiatus.

I understand the point about the playoffs, but if you are good you will take care of the rest of the teams on the schedule and still make the playoffs.

The playoffs do not seem to be all that important to people in GF right now. And that Sucks!

ideally yes, we would all hope that that is the case. but it always doesnt happen like that, and if we were to lose 2 or 3 games in any given year, and not make the playoffs because we played 1-AA NDSU, that would be a tragedy. it could also affect whether or not we host playoff games if we were to lose.

I am in agreement with WYOBISONMAN in this case, UND essentially is the team with the choice here. Granted NDSU decided to move to 1AA, but that does not mean the teams cannot play.

I am not a Bison fan in any respects, but the ball is in UND's court. UND maybe never wanted it this way but it happened and the athletic department made there choice, and they are the only group that can change that choice.

Why don't you go back to bisonville where you belong. Everything you have said has been anti-sioux and anti-administration.

I understand the point about the playoffs, but if you are good you will take care of the rest of the teams on the schedule and still make the playoffs.

The playoffs do not seem to be all that important to people in GF right now. And that Sucks!

How do you even know this? You don't even live here, you come on to a message board and gauge how people are feeling in this town? lol

Your right, I have not lived in GF for a while. (which I do not regret, because GF is hole) By far the worst run city in ND.

I have every right to state my opinions about UND and I am pretty sure I have more first hand knowledge about the situation than most.

Have you actually been involved in athletics there in any way except as a fan?

You have the right to your opinion, but I think many around UND have bought into a bunch of political crap. Think it out using your own brain, don't just go along a not question some of what UND is doing. I played football for RT and know what he is, and its a politician, and he fits right in with that whole crowd.

If UND can't beat the teams they need to in order to get into the playoffs, then they do not deserve to be in the playoffs. Kind of like the Bison don't deserve to be in the playoffs this year.

I am making a judgement by the attendence at the Pitt State Game, it was garbage.

Don't bash me because I am not a sheep! Rinkrat, you go ahead and just keep following the herd.

Your right, I have not lived in GF for a while. (which I do not regret, because GF is hole) By far the worst run city in ND.

I have every right to state my opinions about UND and I am pretty sure I have more first hand knowledge about the situation than most.

Have you actually been involved in athletics there in any way except as a fan?

You have the right to your opinion, but I think many around UND have bought into a bunch of political crap. Think it out using your own brain, don't just go along a not question some of what UND is doing. I played football for RT and know what he is, and its a politician, and he fits right in with that whole crowd.

If UND can't beat the teams they need to in order to get into the playoffs, then they do not deserve to be in the playoffs. Kind of like the Bison don't deserve to be in the playoffs this year.

I am making a judgement by the attendence at the Pitt State Game, it was garbage.

Don't bash me because I am not a sheep! Rinkrat, you go ahead and just keep following the herd.

Do you think that because you played football at UND, all of us should bow down and kiss your feet? You must have think highly of yourself like some who play college sports do.

Why do you even care? You obviously do not like Grand Forks, hate the administration at UND, don't like the politics that goes on. Anything you do like?

Grand Forks has changed a great deal since I moved here in 1992. Most of that change occurred after 1997. I think you need to come back for a visit and bring yourself up to date.

Verk62,

It appears you want the game to continue. RT has went on record saying that players/fans etc.. were split on whether they wanted to play SU anymore or not. I am assuming you know other former/current players and was wondering what their feelings are. I would think that most players would want to play the game, I would also think the Football first (hockey other sports second) fans (i'm assuming they exist :silly: ) would also want to play the game.

I actually suspect that most UND fans are in agreeement with Verk62. From the UND alumi I know, most want to move to D1AA and most think NDSU is making the right move. Also most want the game with NDSU to continune. I think the group of Sioux fans posting on this site are pretty slanted in thier view and don't reflect the majority.

Wrong answer.

If the NCC as a whole would go D1AA (Don't forget the AA because it really is D1 minor league) most UND football fans would favor it. For now, all NDSU and SDSU have to look forward to are lower attendance (why would it be higher when you're playing teams no one really cares about) and no playoffs (at least for the time being).

WYOBISONMAN,

Many Sioux fans posting on this board have expressed a desire to see UND go D-IAA. Some have expressed a desire to continue the NDSU-UND rivarly in football. I don't know where you get the idea that "Sioux fans posting on this site are pretty slanted in thier view."

That being said, I have no idea which view represents the majority, and neither do you. I do believe that the deeper the Sioux go into the playoffs, the less enthusiasm there will be among Sioux fans for playing NDSU again. And should the Sioux win their second national championship, I think I can guess which side of the issue most UND fans will be on.

PCM....I said I suspect that is how the majority feel.  I did not say I conducted a scientific study.  Are you a little up tight on this??

Let's recount: You made a generalization about all posters on this board that anyone who reads it with the least bit of objectivity knows isn't true.

Then you drew a meaningless conclusion from your non-scientific survey. When I called you on it, you responded by saying that your conclusion really is meaningless.

If that makes me "up tight," then I guess I am.

By the way, happy Thanksgiving. ;)

Grand Forks has changed a great deal since I moved here in 1992. Most of that change occurred after 1997. I think you need to come back for a visit and bring yourself up to date.

PCM,

I lived in GF through 1999 and understand there has been some positive changes in the city. The problems I had were more with the people in power in the city and what they choose to do with that power. Better Stadiums, shopping, and golf are great, but when I was there the city government needed an overhaul.

I love Fighting Sioux football above anything else at UND, and I think Dale Lennon is a great coach. I will be listening to the game online, I think it is going to be a battle. The Sioux have created some breaks for themselves this year, and the ball has bounced there way on more than a few occasions this season. Lets hope in continues.

One more note on Sioux/Bison Football no matter what else happens during a football season this is the one game that everyone involved could look forward too, and we as fans as well as the players will no longer have that, and it's disappointing to me.

Whether you believe it or not (to all the people who think the game should continue), there is NO WAY that the game will continue to be the "treasure" to ND it once was , when NDSU will be in a totally different league and have a major scholarship advantage. For an example look in our own region where leagues like the MIAA and NCC have a major scholarship advantage over the NSIC. SURE, teams like Winona and UMD at the top will be able to compete once in awhile, but the league top to bottom is very weak.

You can keep our nickel warm for us until you move up to D1.

I don't, however, think that we should play when UND is D2 and NDSU is D1AA. The deck would be stacked in our favor (in other words, we'd be too good for you).

Bisonfan1234.... Whats really funny is that you need to add a bunch of scholarships to beat us. The fact remains that with a "level" playing field we consistently beat you. Im glad you take pride in shooting off your mouth off about a team and a season that dont even exist yet. Lastly, the reason you are not in the playoffs is because you failed to beat two D2 teams.