SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey on Versus

dmksioux

It appears as though Versus is going to try to begin televising College Hockey games as early as this season.

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/schott/2011/jul/22/versus-may-be-interested-in-college-hockey-tv-pack/

Numerous sources have indicated that Versus is discussing the possibility of televising regular-season college hockey games, beginning in January. What conferences would be involved, or what night the games would be shown (either Friday or Saturday) is unclear right now.

It appears as though Versus is going to try to begin televising College Hockey games as early as this season.

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/schott/2011/jul/22/versus-may-be-interested-in-college-hockey-tv-pack/

I wonder if UND will be in the line up this fall? No better place than the Ralph to televise a real college hockey atmosphere!

It would be nice for most of those games to feature NCHC teams until the conferences begins playing each other. The Big 10 teams have thier own network to be on and we can watch enough HE games on CBS College Sports.

This talk of the NCHC/VS tv deal does make me wonder what is going to happen with the FSSN and being able to watch hockey games on tv. Right now, we get to watch all the home games. I just hope that something doesn't happen that will mean less Sioux games on TV...

It would be nice for most of those games to feature NCHC teams until the conferences begins playing each other. The Big 10 teams have thier own network to be on and we can watch enough HE games on CBS College Sports.

This talk of the NCHC/VS tv deal does make me wonder what is going to happen with the FSSN and being able to watch hockey games on tv. Right now, we get to watch all the home games. I just hope that something doesn't happen that will mean less Sioux games on TV...

Agreed...I'm not sure why some Sioux fans are all excited about this Versus TV deal...we already have a good setup with Fox College Sports broadcasting all our home games live nationwide. Now, if we could maintain that, and have some games throughout the season broadcast in HD on Versus (just like a few games we have that are CBS College Sports every season), that would be the most ideal situation.

Agreed...I'm not sure why some Sioux fans are all excited about this Versus TV deal...we already have a good setup with Fox College Sports broadcasting all our home games live nationwide. Now, if we could maintain that, and have some games throughout the season broadcast in HD on Versus (just like a few games we have that are CBS College Sports every season), that would be the most ideal situation.

We are excited because it will mean more exposure for our program...

At the moment it sounds like Versus wants to showcase games in ALL conferences, not just one or two. Obviously things could change a couple years down the road.

Via Skip Berry on twitter

Major development in NCAA Hockey right now! Hearing from sources that Versus/NBC is close to a deal with College Hockey to air games soon.

Versus would air a game of the week on Friday night and each conference would be featured twice (minimum), which includes the AHA. Big News!

I'd expect that the WHL/OHL/QMJHL get more games on the NHL Network next season. Might see a similar deal in major junior w/ Versus/NBC

With NCAA Hockey close to a major national television deal, I think this will complete parts of the NHL on NBC/Versus deal. More later...

We are excited because it will mean more exposure for our program...

Oh yes, I'm excited about that aspect as well, I was just concerned about the future of the FSSN broadcasts. Especially when some of the early talk was that it would just be a NCHC conference TV deal. With news that they're looking to show games from all conferences, I think my fears can probably be put to rest. Hopefully we'll get to see a lot of Sioux away games with this new deal and expose more people to some good college hockey.

Versus would be outstanding.

Probably the biggest is the rush to compete that might come from other places (BigTen TV might show more hockey, maybe ESPN_U would go a bit more often)....

... exposure is good.

========================

Plus, on Versus we get to hear about how all these players grew up wanting to be Sidney Crosby :) (I keed, I keed)