SiouxSports.com Forum

Potato Bowl 2011

darell1976

Because I am bored with no football time to plan ahead. Sept 24th is the Potato Bowl. My kids went to the parade for the first time last year and loved it, we then took my oldest son to the game against NE Oklahoma and he enjoyed the game this year I don't think we will attend the game which is 6pm against Black Hills State. The tailgating before the game was great but the price of the game and the team is a real turnoff for me so just curious whose going to the game? Also did anyone go to the french fry feed last year? And was it as good as previous years? I haven't been to one since Roger Thomas was coaching the Sioux.

Because I am bored with no football time to plan ahead. Sept 24th is the Potato Bowl. My kids went to the parade for the first time last year and loved it, we then took my oldest son to the game against NE Oklahoma and he enjoyed the game this year I don't think we will attend the game which is 6pm against Black Hills State. The tailgating before the game was great but the price of the game and the team is a real turnoff for me so just curious whose going to the game? Also did anyone go to the french fry feed last year? And was it as good as previous years? I haven't been to one since Roger Thomas was coaching the Sioux.

Go to the game, support your team. It doesn't matter who the opponent is. If price is a true concern, then I get it, with a family, food, etc. Please don't punish the student athletes by not attending the game. When Texas Tech scheduled the University of North Dakota, a huge number of fans still showed up to watch us, a team they likely saw in the same light as we see Black Hills State. When UND hockey hosts Manitoba in an exhibition game, the place is sold out. You go to support your team.

I will be at the game.

• Upvote 3

Go to the game, support your team. It doesn't matter who the opponent is. If price is a true concern, then I get it, with a family, food, etc. Please don't punish the student athletes by not attending the game. When Texas Tech scheduled the University of North Dakota, a huge number of fans still showed up to watch us, a team they likely saw in the same light as we see Black Hills State. When UND hockey hosts Manitoba in an exhibition game, the place is sold out. You go to support your team.

I will be at the game.

I was on the fence of going but I think price and plus a 6pm game time may be a little late as we would trek back to Fargo after 9pm. I still miss the old parade down University Ave towards the stadium then a 1:30pm game...it was classic.

I will be at the game.

I echo that- support the team. In fact, I encourage everyone this season to discover another team on campus. For example maybe you only take in hockey- check out a couple of volleyball matches or a football game. Maybe you only have followed football, check out a basketball or a hockey game. Support the student athletes, they train & play their hearts out for our school.

I love when we are able to have later starts. I know I'm in the minority on here. Most people of indicated in previous conversations that 1p is the preferred time. But, I've always liked 3 or 4p starts in the fall, because you always get the best & warmest part of the day for tailgating activities outside. I look at places that really know what tailgating is all about like SEC schools, and they all have mid to late afternoon games and of course 1 night game on Saturday's for ESPN. They want tailgating to be an all day extravaganza, a build up for gametime. I know Potato Bowl is slated for a 6p start but I still like that better as with kids in fall activities like morning soccer, we can still get out and get in some tailgating & take in the game. I prefer 3 or 4 pm because when you get out of the game you can still head out to eat after the game or head home & not have to rush getting the kids to bed.

I echo that- support the team. In fact, I encourage everyone this season to discover another team on campus. For example maybe you only take in hockey- check out a couple of volleyball matches or a football game. Maybe you only have followed football, check out a basketball or a hockey game. Support the student athletes, they train & play their hearts out for our school.

I love when we are able to have later starts. I know I'm in the minority on here. Most people of indicated in previous conversations that 1p is the preferred time. But, I've always liked 3 or 4p starts in the fall, because you always get the best & warmest part of the day for tailgating activities outside. I look at places that really know what tailgating is all about like SEC schools, and they all have mid to late afternoon games and of course 1 night game on Saturday's for ESPN. They want tailgating to be an all day extravaganza, a build up for gametime. I know Potato Bowl is slated for a 6p start but I still like that better as with kids in fall activities like morning soccer, we can still get out and get in some tailgating & take in the game. I prefer 3 or 4 pm because when you get out of the game you can still head out to eat after the game or head home & not have to rush getting the kids to bed.

I would love to take in a Sioux basketball game. I have never been to the BESC. My last Sioux basketball game was probably a Sioux-Bison game in the late 90's.

I've been meaning to take in a Sioux Baseball game, and I know they've had very few home games- also the weather hasn't been all that great for most of them. I guess I'm waiting for a game on a good weather day :) People can call me fair weather fan when it comes to Sioux baseball. I guess my whole point is I'm going to get out of my comfort zone a little bit to experience more. I hope others take an opportunity to maybe do the same. Maybe, they'll find another sport they like to follow. Back to Potato Bowl, definitely understand the feeling on the opponent- for this year. But, I'll be there...this should be the last year of dismal opponents from no forward. I can get through one more. Plus, usually the weather has cooperated for Potato Bowl- which makes for a fun atmosphere in the lead up to the game.

I would love to take in a Sioux basketball game. I have never been to the BESC. My last Sioux basketball game was probably a Sioux-Bison game in the late 90's.

Saw this theme of supporing other sports as well as your post on "community" about the Bison trying to schedule the Huskers. Several points: 1) People(alums, locals, students) all need to get onto this multisport support if they can reasonably afford it and get to GF for games as well as any road events. 2) These same "people" need to realize that even though hockey has been the identifying sport for UND to date, going forward as a D1 school, the national and regional media and general public will be far more impressed by other sports success like FB, MBB, and WBB. Not to say that hockey should be diminished, but UND fans, especially hockey fans, need to realize that the prestige of the school from an athletic standpoint will be based on also supporting these other offerings. With limited entertainment dollars, getting that could be a factor in the future of UND athletics and leads me to 3) Why O why does Faison APPEAR to lose out on the OOC FB scheduling front? Is this a name thing? Is it a support thing? Is it a ego thing? NDSU scheduling at KSU is pretty great, Nebraska would be even greater. Why can't UND arrange similar games, KU BB not withstanding? Someone needs to get some answers and soon because the other Dakota schools are moving forward quickly as bonafide D1 programs in all sports. Is UND falling behind?

Saw this theme of supporing other sports as well as your post on "community" about the Bison trying to schedule the Huskers. Several points: 1) People(alums, locals, students) all need to get onto this multisport support if they can reasonably afford it and get to GF for games as well as any road events. 2) These same "people" need to realize that even though hockey has been the identifying sport for UND to date, going forward as a D1 school, the national and regional media and general public will be far more impressed by other sports success like FB, MBB, and WBB. Not to say that hockey should be diminished, but UND fans, especially hockey fans, need to realize that the prestige of the school from an athletic standpoint will be based on also supporting these other offerings. With limited entertainment dollars, getting that could be a factor in the future of UND athletics and leads me to 3) Why O why does Faison APPEAR to lose out on the OOC FB scheduling front? Is this a name thing? Is it a support thing? Is it a ego thing? NDSU scheduling at KSU is pretty great, Nebraska would be even greater. Why can't UND arrange similar games, KU BB not withstanding? Someone needs to get some answers and soon because the other Dakota schools are moving forward quickly as bonafide D1 programs in all sports. Is UND falling behind?

When I lived in Grand Forks (1976-1999) I went to UND hockey, football and basketball (M & W). I never thought much of Sioux baseball but since they have redone Kraft field since 1996 when the GF Varmints was there I think Sioux baseball would be fun (never understood the aluminum bats). I am going to try out something different for me that is road games. I have been to 2 road Sioux football games ( NDSU and Bemidji State). I am hoping to go to Eastern Washington next year, and Portland State in 2013. I think the more Sioux sports people go to the bigger the fan you get. Its hard for me right now to go as my kids are so young but they are growing up so the road games become more of a reality, as for your point Ole on the FBS games, KU, K-State, and Nebraska looks like GT is testing out the Big 12 region (I know NU is now Big 10) and Faison is all over the south and west with TT, Fresno St, SDSU, Wyoming, Idaho. NIU was a change, and I would like to see more midwest FBS teams like Nebraska, maybe a Missouri (Mizzu), But you go where your recruiting area is.

Are you joking? It fits in with the way they schedule FBS teams - all potentially winnable games vs. average to poor midwest teams. There is nothing great about Kansas State or the town of Manhattan. Great is Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan, Colorado, etc. as far as local FBS goes.

As far as going to games, I will be at 4-5 games next year guaranteed depending on personal schedule. I like to make a weekend out of things with the game being one part of it. The opponents won't change my plans.

Are you joking? It fits in with the way they schedule FBS teams - all potentially winnable games vs. average to poor midwest teams. There is nothing great about Kansas State or the town of Manhattan. Great is Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan, Colorado, etc. as far as local FBS goes.

As far as going to games, I will be at 4-5 games next year guaranteed depending on personal schedule. I like to make a weekend out of things with the game being one part of it. The opponents won't change my plans.

K-State went 7-6 last year with a bowl game. 2003 was the last good Wildcat team at 11-4 losing the Fiesta Bowl to Ohio State other than that 3 winning seasons since 2003 makes it a pretty winnable game for NDSU.

I would say that KSU is better than Idaho (granted Faison didn't schedule those games). I would say KSU has more name recognition/success than Northern Illinois and possibly both Fresno St. and San Diego State due to it's Midwest location. I understand we are in the Big Sky and we are going to try to play schools out west...Wyoming is another on the schedule. It would still be nice to play a midwest FBS schools once in awhile. Teams such as an Iowa, Minnesota, Kansas, Wisconsin, Illinois...etc.

I would say that KSU is better than Idaho (granted Faison didn't schedule those games). I would say KSU has more name recognition/success than Northern Illinois and possibly both Fresno St. and San Diego State due to it's Midwest location. I understand we are in the Big Sky and we are going to try to play schools out west...Wyoming is another on the schedule. It would still be nice to play a midwest FBS schools once in awhile. Teams such as an Iowa, Minnesota, Kansas, Wisconsin, Illinois...etc.

Not gonna happen once we hit the H&A list.

K-State went 7-6 last year with a bowl game. 2003 was the last good Wildcat team at 11-4 losing the Fiesta Bowl to Ohio State other than that 3 winning seasons since 2003 makes it a pretty winnable game for NDSU.

KSU had some really good years under Bill Snyder/Schneider(sp) a few years ago and I understand he is back(?) Manhattan sucks, true. Used to be a dry county, still? For recruiting purposes, not far from KC and a relatively easy drive for road fans. Still, not a bad opportunity for some midwest exposure for the Bison. Will UND's exposure in San Diego, Fresno, Idaho, and Laramie be front page news in the Midwest or East, not hardly. In the West, maybe. How many UND fans are going to those games? Get your reservations early.

NDSU scheduling at KSU is pretty great, Nebraska would be even greater. Why can't UND arrange similar games, KU BB not withstanding? Someone needs to get some answers and soon because the other Dakota schools are moving forward quickly as bonafide D1 programs in all sports. Is UND falling behind?

Seriously.................K-State? ? ? ? ?...............who cares........

I would argue that of all the FBS teams that a football team from North Dakota has competed against in the last 6-7 years, that UND has played two of the three toughest in Texas Tech and Northern Illinois. NDSU's toughest FBS opponent to date was Central Michigan, and to their credit they beat them. Other than that the FBS teams they've played, yes they were "regional" but they all sucked by FBS standards. Competetively, K-State is easily the second most formidable opponent they will have faced to date.

UND has Fresno St. this season. That is a good program............just as good as any FBS program that NDSU has played this decade.

Why do you pine for the "regional" FBS match-ups but then cry foul when UND schedules "regional" patsies like SD Mines?

And if Iowa St., K-State and Kansas are "regional", then so are Wyoming and Northern Illinois............

.............I don't think we will attend the game which is 6pm against Black Hills State. The tailgating before the game was great but the price of the game and the team is a real turnoff for me so just curious whose going to the game?

I am hoping to go to Eastern Washington next year, and Portland State in 2013. I think the more Sioux sports people go to the bigger the fan you get.

So you're planning on going to Portland, OR and Cheney, WA.............but this year's Potato Bowl game might be a hassle and a bit of a long drive home? ???

To answer your, question, I plan on being there as I do whenever the Sioux are playing at home as long as work doesn't interfere.

I'd encourage you to take in more road games..................they are a blast no matter where they are IMO. Always fun to see how it's done away from the Alerus. And the players really appreciate seeing you there. Often, you can fly with the team and they make all the accomodations. That is definately the way to go IMO.

And as the green team said, I agree that everyone should at least try hitting some UND sporting events that they normally wouldn't. My family of four has season tix for football and hockey, we try to hit a handful of basketball games, and more recently like to get to one or two volleyball matches a year............they're quite entertaining. Hoping to hit a women's hockey game this year.

And darrell1976, I implore you to get to the Sioux Center for a basketball game! I know everybody including myself is anxiously awaiting the NDSU game which will likely be in either the Ralph or the Alerus, but the Sioux Center is an awesome place to watch basketball...........I'd suggest the Montana game this season........it should be at or near capacity, and when the Sioux Center is full it is alot of fun.

I would LOVE to play KU and K-State. Can get to those games, they may be winnable some years, and they can help with recruiting. It's not an either-or choice. We can play FBS against Midwest/Plains teams and those out West. Just stagger things.

And for those who thing these are somehow inferior schools and we should only look at Nebraska, Iowa, etc.... The pair have been to a couple of BCS bowl games this past decade: Orange and Fiesta.

So you're planning on going to Portland, OR and Cheney, WA.............but this year's Potato Bowl game might be a hassle and a bit of a long drive home? ???

To answer your, question, I plan on being there as I do whenever the Sioux are playing at home as long as work doesn't interfere.

I'd encourage you to take in more road games..................they are a blast no matter where they are IMO. Always fun to see how it's done away from the Alerus. And the players really appreciate seeing you there. Often, you can fly with the team and they make all the accomodations. That is definately the way to go IMO.

And as the green team said, I agree that everyone should at least try hitting some UND sporting events that they normally wouldn't. My family of four has season tix for football and hockey, we try to hit a handful of basketball games, and more recently like to get to one or two volleyball matches a year............they're quite entertaining. Hoping to hit a women's hockey game this year.

And darrell1976, I implore you to get to the Sioux Center for a basketball game! I know everybody including myself is anxiously awaiting the NDSU game which will likely be in either the Ralph or the Alerus, but the Sioux Center is an awesome place to watch basketball...........I'd suggest the Montana game this season........it should be at or near capacity, and when the Sioux Center is full it is alot of fun.

My kids were the biggest reason I haven't been to a road game since I saw NDSU beat UND in the Fargodome only because I live here. The UND @ Bemidji State game was a blast the visitor side was so full there were Sioux fans on the home side. Plus a great atmosphere with the stadium on the lake plus only a 2 hr drive from Grand Forks. The Portland State and Cheney game I may attend I was thinking of flying due to kids have school so I am saving my pennies. Plus having a wife thats a die hard Bison fan (although she doesn't mind Sioux hockey) makes it a tough sell. :lol:

I'm on board with the belief that the game is part of the total experience and support. I just sent in my season ticket payment. My drive is 4 hours one way, sometimes I sleep in the back of my van if the game is a night game but the Budget Inn Express near the Ralph is about $50 a night - nothing I would have my wife sleep in but for just me it's fine. They are friendly folks there but the walls are a little thin.

I would argue that of all the FBS teams that a football team from North Dakota has competed against in the last 6-7 years, that UND has played two of the three toughest in Texas Tech and Northern Illinois. NDSU's toughest FBS opponent to date was Central Michigan, and to their credit they beat them. Other than that the FBS teams they've played, yes they were "regional" but they all sucked by FBS standards. Competetively, K-State is easily the second most formidable opponent they will have faced to date.

UND has Fresno St. this season. That is a good program............just as good as any FBS program that NDSU has played this decade.

Why do you pine for the "regional" FBS match-ups but then cry foul when UND schedules "regional" patsies like SD Mines?

And if Iowa St., K-State and Kansas are "regional", then so are Wyoming and Northern Illinois............

Agreed that TT and NIU were good games. Had to cancel plans to attend the NIU game at the last minute. TT is a long trip. Fresno is a great program, but not going to generate much press for UND unless the Sioux win. True, NDSU has played some patsies, but KSU has had their moments in the last 10 years under Snyder and I think he is back. Wyoming is a FCS team masquerading as BCS and probably should move back to FCS. Playing Black Hills does nothing for anybody. Would be better off playing Minot State or Mary. Here in the MSP market ISU, KSU, Iowa, UW, KU, Mizzou, UMinn etc. are regional and close enough for alums to drive to games. Fresno, San Diego, etc. not so much. Do you recall the number of Bison fans at the Metrodome when they beat the Gophers? I thought that was great and would like to see UND in that position or elsewhere in the midwest area. One last note, KSU must have scared Jose Moeller right out of NDSU, he is leaving per the Herald. Interesting.

My kids were the biggest reason I haven't been to a road game since I saw NDSU beat UND in the Fargodome only because I live here. The UND @ Bemidji State game was a blast the visitor side was so full there were Sioux fans on the home side. Plus a great atmosphere with the stadium on the lake plus only a 2 hr drive from Grand Forks. The Portland State and Cheney game I may attend I was thinking of flying due to kids have school so I am saving my pennies. Plus having a wife thats a die hard Bison fan (although she doesn't mind Sioux hockey) makes it a tough sell. :lol:

So in a mixed marriage, hoping the kids are getting a proper Sioux upbringing! ;)

So in a mixed marriage, hoping the kids are getting a proper Sioux upbringing! ;)

I am messing with their minds. My oldest son (9) likes the Bison but went to the Potato Bowl game last year, and wears a Sioux shirt. He doesn't understand the Sioux-Bison rivalry. My other son (4) he cheers for the Bison if his big brother does but he will wear Sioux gear. My daughter (1) wore a Sioux cheerleader outfit I bought for her. So its funny around here with the Go Bison mentality by my wife but me and my kids wearing Sioux gear. My neighbor across the street is a huge Bison fan with a van that says Thundering Herd and Bison1 on the plates and my next door neighbor puts out his Bison flag on gameday. I told my wife I need a big Sioux flag for the front yard. She didn't like the idea. :lol:

If you were referring to the Thursday night home opener I would concede that point (I'm totally NOT looking forward to getting up at 6:30 Friday morning after not getting back from GF till around 11:00), but for a Saturday night that really isn't all that late. Is there even a such thing as too late on a Saturday night? ;)

All kidding aside, I wish all home games were played on Saturday night or at least later in the afternoon. Even if the kickoff was pushed back to 3:00 or 4:00 that would give me more time to sleep in late and still be able to lounge around the house for a bit before I have to hit the road.

I completely understand the attraction of a Saturday evening game and even for Fargo residents (who don't have young kids) I don't think it's out of line, but for those who are driving farther (such as Bismarck) and who value attending church Sunday morning (there's more than a few of us in North Dakota), Saturday afternoons -- even 4:00 p.m. -- are better than evening. I might consider attending one 6 p.m. or later game a year but that's my limit. That said, I realize most Sioux fans are within a two hour drive and those of us further out probably don't have a lot of say or clout.

If you were referring to the Thursday night home opener I would concede that point (I'm totally NOT looking forward to getting up at 6:30 Friday morning after not getting back from GF till around 11:00), but for a Saturday night that really isn't all that late. Is there even a such thing as too late on a Saturday night? ;)

All kidding aside, I wish all home games were played on Saturday night or at least later in the afternoon. Even if the kickoff was pushed back to 3:00 or 4:00 that would give me more time to sleep in late and still be able to lounge around the house for a bit before I have to hit the road.

I completely understand the attraction of a Saturday evening game and even for Fargo residents (who don't have young kids) I don't think it's out of line, but for those who are driving farther (such as Bismarck) and who value attending church Sunday morning (there's more than a few of us in North Dakota), Saturday afternoons -- even 4:00 p.m. -- are better than evening. I might consider attending one 6 p.m. or later game a year but that's my limit. That said, I realize most Sioux fans are within a two hour drive and those of us further out probably don't have a lot of say or clout.

Count me in as not being a fan of the 1:00 games...............

I started a thread about this last winter, and to my surprise I was apparently in the minority of those who like the later start times...........

I'm just a 100 miles out of GF, and I really like the 4:00 game time, but I would like 6:00 or 7:00 just as well. I have no problem getting home late on a Saturday night, and that includes trucking along two kids. For me, the 1:00 games pretty much blow the whole day for me.

I don't tailgate, just get there before the game and then head home after, but I'd think tailgating would be better for a later starting game................................apparently not.

Northern Illinois was not better than the Gophers in 06 when the Bison lost by one. They went to a bowl game that year and almost beat Texas Tech. And Idaho is basically a Big Sky team in a bad dome. If you don't stay close to them this year there is something wrong.

Iowa St, K-State and Kansas are BCS schools, Wyoming and Northen Illinois are not. That is the difference.