SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

Which marketing strategy are you talking about? Playing cupcakes? Your marketing strategy is a straw man argument. Do you think that winning the national championship every year is a marketing strategy? This is about hurt feelings and nothing more. Winning the national championship is a great marketing tool, but it doesn't work every year. Having a rivalry series does work every year.

NDSU's scheduling strategy is to play a regional FBS and have six home games, tell me how a yearly rivalry game achieves either of those needs? GT offered every other year, if that isn't good enough for Faison I think GT is right in telling him to go pound sand. Our non conference schedule doesn't need to revolve around one school.

The problem is you, and others on this site, are the brick wall.

You do realize that this is a UND fan site, don't you? Do you think that you are going to come here, have your way, change our minds and make this another NDSU site? That would be even more delusional than anything found on Bville, and that is a high bar. The brick wall appears to be between your ears. If you don't want to hear what we are saying on this site, don't come to the site.

Which marketing strategy are you talking about? Playing cupcakes? Your marketing strategy is a straw man argument. Do you think that winning the national championship every year is a marketing strategy? This is about hurt feelings and nothing more. Winning the national championship is a great marketing tool, but it doesn't work every year. Having a rivalry series does work every year.

Can't realistically win the national championship every year, but it is possible to make the playoffs every year. With NDSU historically having great attendance will likely get a home playoff game every year. It makes sense as a marketing strategy to give yourself the best possible chance to make the playoffs.

NDSU's scheduling strategy is to play a regional FBS and have six home games, tell me how a yearly rivalry game achieves either of those needs? GT offered every other year, if that isn't good enough for Faison I think GT is right in telling him to go pound sand. Our non conference schedule doesn't need to revolve around one school.

Doesn't need to at all. But it could. And many would be all the happier to see one of the greatest rivalries in all of NCAA football resume. But maybe Kolpak's right. It was a simpler time, and you can really never go home again.

Faison already said he would accept it and they were working out details. Now Kolpack, who is GT's mouthpiece, has come out and said they are never playing again....ever. Or until 2075.

Figure it out for yourself who is stonewalling it.

The game isn't happening until Gene Taylor leaves, that is pretty obvious. Look what happened with the Womens Basketball game. As soon as Roebuck left the rivalry resumed immediately.

No, the marketer's dream happened in Dallas last January. NDSU ticket sales are higher and donations stronger than they ever were when the rivalry was on-going.

NDSU v UND is one game out of 11. NDSU is looking for more than that.

So what happens if NDSU misses the playoffs two years in a row or has early playoff exits and ticket demand and donations fall below their current levels? Sure NDSU sold out Prarie View A&M after a national championship year but will they sell out a game against a non-regional cupcake after a year or two of non-contention?

Put the game on the schedule and you could potentially see a Bison schedule that includes an FCS OOC game, a game against Minnesota, UND in the dome OOC, then UNI and South Dakota in the dome during conference play and a road game against SDSU. If NDSU's marketing department can't sell that to fans and donors then maybe Gene should start looking for replacements.

Faison already said he would accept it and they were working out details. Now Kolpack, who is GT's mouthpiece, has come out and said they are never playing again....ever. Or until 2075.

Figure it out for yourself.

I think Kolpack only said that because it seems like neither school can get on the same page. Both GT and Faison keep saying they are talking about it and nothing ever seems to get accomplished. I do disagree with Kolpack, the game will happen. People do want the game to be played and I think both AD's are aware of that.

NDSU's scheduling strategy is to play a regional FBS and have six home games, tell me how a yearly rivalry achieves either of those needs?

I haven't worried about yearly or every other year for a long time. With an every other year schedule you would lose a maximum of 1 game every 4 years. That could be mitigated in some years when 12 games are allowed, which means you could still have everything you listed plus the series. It would also be mitigated by the facts that you could make as much money with the series, and the fact that the 1 out of 4 years the extra away game is only 75 miles away. A home and home series with UND every other year would be a very minor adjustment to your precious scheduling strategy. Considering the number of years that NDSU has had trouble getting home games, it should almost be a relief. Also, just look back to the series of years that Montana scheduled cupcake home games and the response of Montana fans after a few years.

I haven't worried about yearly or every other year for a long time. With an every other year schedule you would lose a maximum of 1 game every 4 years. That could be mitigated in some years when 12 games are allowed, which means you could still have everything you listed plus the series. It would also be mitigated by the facts that you could make as much money with the series, and the fact that the 1 out of 4 years the extra away game is only 75 miles away. A home and home series with UND every other year would be a very minor adjustment to your precious scheduling strategy. Considering the number of years that NDSU has had trouble getting home games, it should almost be a relief. Also, just look back to the series of years that Montana scheduled cupcake home games and the response of Montana fans after a few years.

I agree, an every other year game would work perfect for everyone. If the FCS had a 12 game schedule an every year game would also work out great.

Can't realistically win the national championship every year, but it is possible to make the playoffs every year. With NDSU historically having great attendance will likely get a home playoff game every year. It makes sense as a marketing strategy to give yourself the best possible chance to make the playoffs.

Does that mean that NDSU is afraid that they will lose to UND and hurt their chances of making the playoffs? What happened to the idea of playing anybody? And I thought you were done replying to me. Today we have added 2 different marketing strategies to the litany of reasons NDSU has for not playing UND in football. Just keep making excuses guys.
  • Upvote 1

Does that mean that NDSU is afraid that they will lose to UND and hurt their chances of making the playoffs? What happened to the idea of playing anybody? And I thought you were done replying to me. Today we have added 2 different marketing strategies to the litany of reasons NDSU has for not playing UND in football. Just keep making excuses guys.

We have had this conversation so many times it actually pains me to have it again with you. It doesn't mean NDSU is afraid, but NDSU has an increased chance of losing when playing a higher quality opponent, which UND is. Our conference schedule already provides us with playing 3-5 ranked teams a year. It is difficult enough.

When did I say I was done responding to you?

We can say whatever we want on message boards, it doesn't change the fact that people who actually get paid to make these decisions have decided that it isn't in their best interest. You all can run numbers and talk motives until you are blue in the face, but when your job is on the line you are forced to make the decision that makes the most sense for you. Obviously GT doesn't think this game benefits NDSU as much as doing things the way he has been for the last few years. There isn't much else to say about it.

So what happens if NDSU misses the playoffs two years in a row or has early playoff exits and ticket demand and donations fall below their current levels? Sure NDSU sold out Prarie View A&M after a national championship year but will they sell out a game against a non-regional cupcake after a year or two of non-contention?

Put the game on the schedule and you could potentially see a Bison schedule that includes an FCS OOC game, a game against Minnesota, UND in the dome OOC, then UNI and South Dakota in the dome during conference play and a road game against SDSU. If NDSU's marketing department can't sell that to fans and donors then maybe Gene should start looking for replacements.

The early season non-conference games sell themselves thanks to tailgating, that said we are playing a home and home with Montana so Gene knows he has to mix in a game or two with a solid opponent.

To everyone on this board from both sides of the isle, this is totally about NDSU and their marketing strategy. I am a UND fan but understand exactly why NDSU doesn't want the game to happen. The Bison's only cash cow is fcs football, it sustains their sports programs, having 6 home games a year is one more chance to gain needed revenue plus they don't have to give up their yearly money games with a regional fbs opponent. They really have nothing to gain and everything to lose. If you want to know what I mean, if they beat UND, they should, if they lose it hurts them in regional recruiting with UND and ends their mystic in the fcs football realm in the state of ND. If they really wanted to play GT would have scheduled them early on while NDSU has the upper hand coming off of a NC and before UND improves into a playoff type BigSky program which I think will eventually happen. They could play now when the outcome is probably not in doubt, not in a few years when a loss could set them back. UND has and always has had D1 hockey to provide the revenue, NDSU doesn't, and never will, that is why they have to protect the football programs success at all costs. I would like to see the game happen as well, but don't think it will. Remember we have a NC in D2 Football and 3 in D2 womens basketball just like NDSU does, albeit not as many as them. But we have 7 D1 Hockey titles they will never have. And the fact that they have an FCS NC sets them apart from UND, for now. If we were to beat them or win a NC at the FCS level in Football it would take away the only thing they have in their back pocket that we don't. They at NDSU have always taken a back seat to UND on the academic level because they don't offer the same professional colleges like Law and Medicine that UND does. FCS football has changed their image of being an ag school to that of a recognizable state institution both regionally and nationally just like hockey and aviation have done at UND. I personally don't blame them at all for not wanting to play, like I said before they have nothing to gain and literally everything to lose!

Does that mean that NDSU is afraid that they will lose to UND and hurt their chances of making the playoffs? What happened to the idea of playing anybody?

THIS ^^^^^^

And it would hurt their chances of hosting home playoff games.

But the NCC was always an easy road to the playoffs and UND vs ndsu NEVER had playoff and home field ramifications year in and year out.

THIS ^^^^^^

And it would hurt their chances of hosting home playoff games.

But the NCC was always an easy road to the playoffs and UND vs ndsu NEVER had playoff and home field ramifications year in and year out.

Conveniently forgetting that NDSU and UND were in the same conference back then?

also worth taking into account is the fact that if both teams are ever both in the playoffs, the ncaa is extremely likely to match them up against the other. If UND football can get and keep it's !@#$ together (they are pretty close right now imo), playoff meetups should be a fairly common event.

I think Kolpack only said that because it seems like neither school can get on the same page. Both GT and Faison keep saying they are talking about it and nothing ever seems to get accomplished. I do disagree with Kolpack, the game will happen. People do want the game to be played and I think both AD's are aware of that.

Faison offered GT exactly what he asked for. A one time home/home starting in Fargo with a year in between games. He hasn't accepted. GT is what is holding up this game resuming.

Faison offered GT exactly what he asked for. A one time home/home starting in Fargo with a year in between games. He hasn't accepted. GT is what is holding up this game resuming.

Gene Taylor is doing what he believes is best for NDSU. No more explanation than that is necessary.

I didn't mean to demean anybody thats in pharmacy, agriculture, or engineering, they are all honorable professions. What I meant is that universties survive on research and alumni donors. In that reguard I believe lawyers, md.'s, and pilots are more likely to give large sums of money to their chosen universities. I also believe that the EERC (Environmental&Energy Research Center) at UND is heavily envolved with the oil boom going on in the western part of the state likely ensuring more dollars coming in to UND. Cash is what colleges need to survive. It's unlikely any fcs football program anywhere could supply the type of revenue needed to sustain a university. Until either NDSU or UND can fill up a 100,000 seat "Big House" for football academics will still be the engine that drives the universities, for which I believe UND is more equipped to do than NDSU. That is only an opinion and one persons observation.

Gene Taylor is doing what he believes is best for NDSU. No more explanation than that is necessary.

Than why did he ask for it to begin with? He was given what he wanted, now he won't acknowledge it. I think an explanation is warranted when you go out in the media saying there is only one deal you will take and when that deal is presented to you, you go silent on it.