SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

Haha, calm down. People make an off-base homer statement they are going to get called on it.

Seems to be the MO around here lately, make a ridiculous comment, be proven wrong by the facts and then cry about NDSU fans trolling.

Edit: I get a kick out of the get a life comment on an internet message board btw. For every minute I spend here typing, you are spending a minute reading it, so it appears we both need to get a life if that is the case. :)

What you don't understand is that a message board for a specific team is exactly where you should be making off-base homer statements only su fans feels the need to monitor the site of a different school, which they claim they are no longer interested in, in order to correct every off-base homer statement they perceive is being made.

Let them prove it on the field. That's the only score that counts, the one at the end of an actual game. None of the NDSU bluster actually counts. So a UND fan can claim their team would win a game just as much as an NDSU fan. The only way to know for sure which team would win is to have the teams actually play.

I was in the stands for every one of the games UND beat su in during the last 10 years they played and every year I had to hear the pompus su fans sharing how they were the better team, no on UND's team would see the field if they were at su and guess what when the game was played - not so much.

UND - owns overall win-loss record

UND - owns win-loss record for the last 10 years the two teams played

UND - won the last game played between the two team for the Nickle Trophy

I suppose this is the response I should have expected from you at this point. You might as well just keep this response on your clipboard so you can paste it in here you have used it so often. Have a great weekend man.

It is true however. BVille is a major smack site and there are very few if any UND posters that feel the need to go to that board and call bison fans on it. Why, because it's your board and we understand that everything is going to be slanted to the bison point of view. Nothing wrong with that.

This is a UND site, so of course things are going to be slanted to reflect better on UND. That's what fan message boards are for. For some reason, a "preposterous statement" as bville likes to call them, is posted on a UND board and suddenly every bison fan along with their sister, needs to come over here and attempt to clarify or correct it. As many others pointed out, they do it on numerous sites on anything UND related. It's become comical how much it happens. The only thing that it proves is that NDSU still has that "little sister" attitude, always needing to run their mouth to contradict anything UND...

• Upvote 2

Last week they clogged up the UND/SDSU conversation button on ESPN. Its going to be an every week thing. Just look at all the UND fans clogging up the NDSU/Prairie View conversation button....oh thats right we don't do that.

Maybe not, but you talk about them (NDSU) 24/7 on this board!

Does Bison06 seem to constantly act like he is saying goodbye but he never goes away. He continually comes on here and is put in his place by UND fans and yet he continues tio take the punishment. He is persistant.

He's actually not that bad. I just get a little tired of the feigned incredulous tone from folks from other teams who venture on her and who are always so "astonished" that we are very optimistic of our teams and our future and that we poo poo the motives and perceived successes of other teams. I mean, for crying out loud, it's a UND message board and we especially despise the Bison, Gophers, Badgers and BC Eagles. The feelings are mutual. What do you expect? We didn't start the fire! But we will continue to keep it stoked.

Who has UND scheduled OOC that you feel your scheduling has been superior to NDSU's?

Transition doesn't count neither does FBS team just OOC FCS teams I am referring to. I am not including NDSU's Arkansas-Monticello or Concordia-St. Paul the MAC or the bottom of the FBS because UND did the same with Idaho . I am talking about NDSU scheduling the bottom of the FCS after joining the MVFC.

2008 Austin Peay, Cent Conn St

2009 Wagner (the last season NDSU had 5 home games)

2010 Morgan State, #20 South Dakota

2011 Lafayette, St. Francis

2012 Robert Morris, Prairie View A&M

2013 Montana State, Western Carolina

2014 Montana, South Dakota

UND

2012 SDSoM, Portland State (replacement game for #19 Central Arkansas)

2013 Valpo, South Dakota State, Montana

2014 Robert Morris (1 more OOC game TBA)

2015 (2 OOC games TBA)

NDSU's method for playoffs has been play weak OOC games, play at least 6 home games and keep UND off the schedule. I hope they know MSU and UM are no Wagners.

Transition doesn't count neither does FBS team just OOC FCS teams I am referring to. I am not including NDSU's Arkansas-Monticello or Concordia-St. Paul the MAC or the bottom of the FBS because UND did the same with Idaho . I am talking about NDSU scheduling the bottom of the FCS after joining the MVFC.

UND

2015 (2 OOC games TBA)

NDSU's method for playoffs has been play weak OOC games, play at least 6 home games and keep UND off the schedule. I hope they know MSU and UM are no Wagners.

Considering Bohl's teams have won at MSU and UM, one of those a road playoff win, yes, I'm sure they understand the difference.

UND

2015 (2 OOC games TBA)

Why, oh why, are we not counting FBS games? Do they not play into strength of schedule or count as a DI win come playoff time?

Why, oh why, are we not counting FBS games? Do they not play into strength of schedule or count as a DI win come playoff time?

Which FBS teams have come to Fargo? Sorry the Gophers don't count. I am talking about bringing FCS and only FCS teams to the dome after transition.

Considering Bohl's teams have won at MSU and UM, one of those a road playoff win, yes, I'm sure they understand the difference.

DII NDSU was quite awhile ago. I don't think you can include that since NDSU doesn't like to include their losses against UND in this the latter part of the last century.

Which FBS teams have come to Fargo? Sorry the Gophers don't count. I am talking about bringing FCS and only FCS teams to the dome after transition.

FBS teams don't travel to FCS schools. We are talking about OOC schedules, why does that only include home games?

Also, I see that you pointed out which games were replaced by other games on the UND schedule, but you didn't on the NDSU schedule. Why is that?

FBS teams don't travel to FCS schools. We are talking about OOC schedules, why does that only include home games?

You can talk about whatever you want, I was talking about OOC home schedules starting from 2008 (NDSU) and 2012 (UND). Transition doesn't count its just a filler until you join a real conference.

UND

2015 (2 OOC games TBA)

Honestly Darell, please point out which games on these UND schedules are more impressive than the NDSU schedules you have just posted? I feel like you are making my point for me by posting what you just did.

Honestly Darell, please point out which games on these UND schedules are more impressive than the NDSU schedules you have just posted? I feel like you are making my point for me by posting what you just did.

Montana (was scheduled part of home and home in 2010), PSU (even if it wasn't PSU how about UCA), SDSU and thats just 2 years into our conference.

For NDSU from 2008-2012 (5 seasons) 1 team...South Dakota. Other than its 2013 and 2014 before NDSU brings in the Montanas. What happened...run out of frosting?

I have gone through the financials several times that prove NDSU can actually make more money playing home and home with UND than paying $200K or more for outside teams. It isn't difficult. Gene Taylor doesn't want anything to do with the UND football team. That is the bottom line.

I would say that you're probably not in possession of enough inside information to evaluate NDSU's football marketing strategy, or draw any conclusions about whether NDSU would, or would not, make more money by playing UND vs. paying an FCS team to come to town. I'll trust that the people in charge at NDSU know a bit more about it than you, or anyone else on this board. Things are going pretty well in Fargo...

In any case, you are right, at least part of this is about the feelings of Gene Taylor, and other folks at NDSU, towards UND -- in a personal. not a competitive, sense. You can argue that he/they should just get over it, but hard feelings die hard.

Montana (was scheduled part of home and home in 2010), PSU (even if it wasn't PSU how about UCA), SDSU and thats just 2 years into our conference.

For NDSU from 2008-2012 (5 seasons) 1 team...South Dakota. Other than that its 2013 and 2014 before NDSU brings in the Montanas. What happened...run out of frosting?

PSU, that's your ace in the hole? They are a cupcake and everyone knows it. When was the last time they were in the playoffs? If you want to bring up UCA then you have to give NDSU credit for Georgia Southern. Not sure which year, but Montana State also backed out of a home and home with NDSU.

You're missing the obvious point. NDSU would have to give up a home game at least once every 4 years, possibly every other year, in order to play UND. The lost revenue from that game cancels out the 200K paid to a team like PVAM.

You can say that you would personally like to see the game started up again, or speculate that the people of Norh Dakota want to see the game played again. But it's much more difficult to make a actual case that NDSU has anything to gain, financially or otherwise, from playing UND. For now, NDSU is exactly where it wants to be. Scheduling UND can't really improve the situation.

I did a pretty detailed analysis of how NDSU could make money while still playing UND every year. I believe I did breakdowns for giving up an FBS road game every other year and for giving up an OOC home game every other year. It's buried in this thread somewhere if you feel like digging for it. That analysis was based solely on ticket sales. There are a million other things NDSU could do to recoup money lost from a home game or an FBS payday. A game against UND has infinitely more marketing possibilities than 95% of the teams in FCS that the Bison could bring in. Hell on the years the game is in Grand Forks you could charge people 5 bucks to watch the game in the Alerus. The argument that NDSU is putting the game on hold for financial reasons does not hold water.

• Upvote 1

PSU, that's your ace in the hole? They are a cupcake and everyone knows it. When was the last time they were in the playoffs? If you want to bring up UCA then you have to give NDSU credit for Georgia Southern. Not sure which year, but Montana State also backed out of a home and home with NDSU.

2004, 2006, and 2011 they finished 7-4. A cupcake? I would think the bottom of the NEC where NDSU has played 4 OOC home games against... those were cupcakes. NDSU has yet to play a home OOC game since 2008 where their opponent has made the playoffs. I guess if I mention UCA I will give you credit for GSU.

I did a pretty detailed analysis of how NDSU could make money while still playing UND every year. I believe I did breakdowns for giving up an FBS road game every other year and for giving up an OOC home game every other year. It's buried in this thread somewhere if you feel like digging for it. That analysis was based solely on ticket sales. There are a million other things NDSU could do to recoup money lost from a home game or an FBS payday. A game against UND has infinitely more marketing possibilities than 95% of the teams in FCS that the Bison could bring in. Hell on the years the game is in Grand Forks you could charge people 5 bucks to watch the game in the Alerus. The argument that NDSU is putting the game on hold for financial reasons does not hold water.

You did that analysis based on what? You're simply not privy to sufficient information to draw any conclusions about NDSU's marketing strategy. All I know is what they're doing is working. Why would they change it?

2004, 2006, and 2011 they finished 7-4. A cupcake? I would think the bottom of the NEC where NDSU has played 4 OOC home games against... those were cupcakes. NDSU has yet to play a home OOC game since 2008 where their opponent has made the playoffs. I guess if I mention UCA I will give you credit for GSU.

They have a losing record all time and I can't find anything that says they have EVER been to the FCS playoffs. http://en.wikipedia....ikings_football

If that doesn't qualify as a cupcake I don't know what does.

Edit: Looks like they made the playoffs in the 80's and 90's, but they haven't been relevant in the Big Sky for years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Portland_State_Vikings_head_football_coaches

You did that analysis based on what? You're simply not privy to sufficient information to draw any conclusions about NDSU's marketing strategy. All I know is what they're doing is working. Why would they change it?

I don't disagree with you about not having enough information, and we can quibble all day long about what we do and don't know, but seriously, what the hell does a school's "marketing strategy" have to do with anything? Bottom lines are bottom lines (and yes we are not privy to the info) irrespective of market strategies. That just comes across as a red herring assertion that has little to do with hard number crunching and what will make more money for a host team.

You'd think that if there was a will there's a way, right? I mean, on years when UND would host the big rivalry game the Alerus Center would be packed to the gills (13,500 with SRO), and this would still happen if ticket prices would be doubled for even the "nosebleed" seats and incrementally even more so for the better seats. Season ticket holders, I am sure, would gladly pay more if they knew the reason was to accommodate the Granddaddy of all rivalry games in the Dakotas. All this not to mention huge concession sales and other fund-raising opportunities based on the "Nickel War." With all that, I am sure that cooler heads could work out a profit sharing agreement, based on all the extra revenue, to help compensate NDSU for all that lost revenue they would incur from busing their players 75 miles up I-29.

They have a losing record all time and I can't find anything that says they have EVER been to the FCS playoffs. http://en.wikipedia....ikings_football

If that doesn't qualify as a cupcake I don't know what does.

Edit: Looks like they made the playoffs in the 80's and 90's, but they haven't been relevant in the Big Sky for years. http://en.wikipedia....ootball_coaches

So if having a 7-4 record in 3 out of the last 7 years and just missing the playoffs in a major conference like the Big Sky is your definition of a cupcake what does that say for the bottom feeders of the SWAC, NEC, and MEAC teams that NDSU has hosted.

You'd think that if there was a will there's a way, right? I mean, on years when UND would host the big rivalry game the Alerus Center would be packed to the gills (13,500 with SRO), and this would still happen if ticket prices would be doubled for even the "nosebleed" seats and incrementally even more so for the better seats. Season ticket holders, I am sure, would gladly pay more if they knew the reason was to accommodate the Granddaddy of all rivalry games in the Dakotas. All this not to mention huge concession sales and other fund-raising opportunities based on the "Nickel War." With all that, I am sure that cooler heads could work out a profit sharing agreement, based on all the extra revenue, to help compensate NDSU for all that lost revenue they would incur from busing their players 75 miles up I-29.

Well gas is almost 4 bucks a gallon plus maybe a stop at Burger King in Hillsboro. ;)