SiouxSports.com Forum

Jason Gregoire

siouxnami

Should Gregoire turn Pro?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gregoire Turn Pro?

• No (come play for a title)
    • Yes (because I am a Troll)

The news on Jason Gregoire has been decidedly quiet. I think he is the difference between a very good top 10 in the nation team and a WCHA favorite, top 3 team. He certainly has the talent to go pro, but if he comes back he would be perhaps our most reliable goal scorer. As good as Matt Frattin was down the stretch, Jason might have been better. With Gregoire the Sioux will be likely to have 3 potent scoring lines. Gregoire and Knight could be paired with an incoming freshman with the ability to take a good feed and snipe the corner, much like Hextall.

I could see these all as outstanding lines:

Gregoire - Knight - ? (NHL Caliber Talent)

Miller - Grimaldi - Kristo (fastest line in hockey)

Rodwell - Nelson - ? (I think these 2 will explode as Sophomores)

Best Defense and Goaltending in the Nation.

So Jason, the Sioux Nation wants you back...

The news on Jason Gregoire has been decidedly quiet. I think he is the difference between a very good top 10 in the nation team and a WCHA favorite, top 3 team. He certainly has the talent to go pro, but if he comes back he would be perhaps our most reliable goal scorer. As good as Matt Frattin was down the stretch, Jason might have been better. With Gregoire the Sioux will be likely to have 3 potent scoring lines. Gregoire and Knight could be paired with an incoming freshman with the ability to take a good feed and snipe the corner, much like Hextall.

I could see these all as outstanding lines:

Gregoire - Knight - ? (NHL Caliber Talent)

Miller - Grimaldi - Kristo (fastest line in hockey)

Rodwell - Nelson - St Clair(smaller guy with grit like Rodwell, who exploded during the playoffs. V. Mich. he was an animal)

Best Defense and Goaltending in the Nation.

Looks good to me. Knight will make whoever that third finisher is look good.

the difference between a very good top 10 in the nation team and a WCHA favorite, top 3 team.

Top 10 in the nation is the equivalent of being in the top four of the WCHA.

Gregoire, if he chooses to return for his senior season, gets to show what he can do in a leadership role. Whether he's named captain or not, he becomes one of the 2-3 top leaders on this team. He'll play top line, PP, PK, and play every night against the opponents top matchup. He's already one of of NCAA's best along the walls, but one more season in NCAA would cement his standing as one of the best ever. Given how important the cycle game is to most NHL teams, and how important puck possession is, that becomes key to his value.

I think his value increases with one more season at UND.

Gregoire, if he chooses to return for his senior season, gets to show what he can do in a leadership role. Whether he's named captain or not, he becomes one of the 2-3 top leaders on this team. He'll play top line, PP, PK, and play every night against the opponents top matchup. He's already one of of NCAA's best along the walls, but one more season in NCAA would cement his standing as one of the best ever. Given how important the cycle game is to most NHL teams, and how important puck possession is, that becomes key to his value.

If he stays and is as consistent as he was this year, he has Hobey potential, and he won't have a past to work against him like Frattin did.

Let's compare Hextall's situation to Gregoire's. (I'm quoting myself from the Hextall thread.)

Hex:

Brett is 23. The report is that he signed a two-year deal. That makes sense given the information in the "Entry-level Contract" thread.

So if Brett were to stay at UND another year, he'd be 24 and only be able to sign a one-year deal (see same link). That's one year to make or break with your pro team.

By signing now Brett has two years to catch on with the PHX organization.

Given all that, Brett made the choice that I think (with all that information) I would have recommended to him.

Gregoire:

Now, let's look at Gregoire. Hextall is almost a full year (10.5 months) older than Gregoire.

Gregoire is 22 right now. Per that same link, Gregoire can only sign a two-year deal (22 and 23 year olds can only sign two-year deals). But he could sign a two-year deal a year from now also.

Would Gregoire be better off signing now with two-years to try to stick with the NYI organization, or ...

Would he be better off playing a senior year, and still being able to sign a two-year entry deal a year from now, and then evaluating all of his possibilities, including (having played four college years) waiting to sign until August 15, 2012 when he becomes a free-agent able to sign a two-year deal with anyone?

To me, staying for his senior year at UND puts Gregoire no worse off for a contract duration, but may make him more valuable (potential free-agent).

And staying gives him three years (one at UND, two on the entry contract) to become the best player he can when it comes time to sign a first non-entry level contract. (Signing now only gives him two years to develop to that key milestone.)

If I were the advisor to each, I guess I'd have told Hextall to sign now and I'd be telling Gregore to stay (giving himself three years to develop before that first non-entry contract).

• Upvote 1

Let's compare Hextall's situation to Gregoire's. (I'm quoting myself from the Hextall thread.)

Hex:

Gregoire:

If I were the advisor to each, I guess I'd have told Hextall to sign now and I'd be telling Gregore to stay (giving himself three years to develop before that first non-entry contract).

Nice Analysis +1

Nelson and Rodwell after putting on 10-15 lbs of muscle will both be a force. Rodwell's speed I'd put up against anyone on our team.

I'm expecting big things from Nelson next year, no stats or anything to back me up just like what I saw the last 10 games or so this year. Could be an eye-opener.

Honestly? I want Gregoire to do whatever he thinks is the best option for him. Would I love for him to come back? Yes. However, playing in the NHL is his dream and I can not tell him what I would do in his situation as I have never been in it. So, talk to those closest to you Gregs and decide what YOU think is best for you.

Gregoire is a good player, but I think its a stretch to say that him staying one more year "cements his standing as one of the best ever." I like the Sioux as much as the next guy, but this I would call drinking a little too much of the so called kool-aid. Gregoire could come back and have a very good year as he did this year, but I still don't know if that would cement him as one of the best ever. I guess I don't know if you mean one of the best college players ever, or one of the best Sioux players ever. Either way its a stretch.

Gregoire is a good player, but I think its a stretch to say that him staying one more year "cements his standing as one of the best ever." I like the Sioux as much as the next guy, but this I would call drinking a little too much of the so called kool-aid. Gregoire could come back and have a very good year as he did this year, but I still don't know if that would cement him as one of the best ever. I guess I don't know if you mean one of the best college players ever, or one of the best Sioux players ever. Either way its a stretch.

I read it as f.p. saying Gregoire would be one of the best ever at playing along the wall. While he is certainly very good on the wall, a subjective claim such as that would hardly stand up to any real scrutiny. The takeaway from f.p.'s post is mainly that last line stating that he believes Gregoire would improve his situation by returning for a senior season. The rest of his discussion has merit, but take the statement in question for what it is - hyperbole.

I read it as f.p. saying Gregoire would be one of the best ever at playing along the wall. While he is certainly very good on the wall, a subjective claim such as that would hardly stand up to any real scrutiny. The takeaway from f.p.'s post is mainly that last line stating that he believes Gregoire would improve his situation by returning for a senior season. The rest of his discussion has merit, but take the statement in question for what it is - hyperbole.

Hyperbole = sales job. ;)

I have seen 35 years of Sioux hockey, and a few stand out as being exceptionally good at puck possession and using body leverage to ward off an opponent. I would put Gregoire in the top echelon, along with Ryan Bayda, Perry Berezan, Jonathan Toews, Cary Eades, Jim Archibald, Dave Tippett, Lee Goren, Matt Henderson ... to name a few.

He may yet be one of the best college players ever, which could be achieved with a Hobey Baker class season. I think he has it in him. (But yes it would be premature to accord that status based on achievements to date.)