SiouxSports.com Forum

DU's Martin feels snubbed by Sioux - article in Denver Post

knato

I feel bad for Martin...in all likelihood, Chambers is painting a picture of him that isn't accurate. In all other interviews, Martin doesn't act like Chambers is saying he is acting.

There are a few quotes from Martin that I feel represent some suppressed anger...and until I get my neck broken and almost die, I can't comment on those feelings.

Best wishes to him in the future.

Check out the comments following the article. One from "Ring of Fire" is great.... He really lets Chambers have it for making Martin come off sounding like a whiny brat. This is just Mike Chambers trying to stir the pot, and using the Bina incident was especially tasteless, even for him...

I cannot believe that Gwozdecky is happy about the article. His team needs to focus, and not have a distraction. As for Hakstol not contacting Jesse Martin, I wonder if there isn't some type of NCAA rule that governs a coach or his staff contacting a player from another team, injured or not. Any such rule may seem idiotic in a situation like this, but the NCAA does their own thing and you never know what they may think.

I appreciate the support of DU fans commenting on the article. One last thought here: Although I have not appreciated the antics of Gwozdecky in the past, I found his comments at this year's WCHA Final Five to be classy and full of character. To the point of where I upgraded my opinion of him. I still have him on double secret probation and any future incidents like walking across the ice during a hockey game, dancing on the dasher, or coaching from the press box after he has been ejected warrant suspension and will again lower my opinion.

As for Chambers, I really appreciated his article on the interview with Brad Malone. I thanked him for it. But then he follows that up with this garbage for journalism?

Have Chambers let all Sioux fans know where the DU team is staying and I am confident that a large group will show up after hours to fluff young Jesse's pillow for him. :silly:

I guess I wouldn't stoop to comments like this unless I absolutely knew that Mike Chambers didn't botch the interview and put words in Jesse Martin's mouth. Let's keep it classy toward Jesse and his family. It is a tough situation.

• Upvote 2

A long video (28+ minutes), it was posted in a comment in reply to the article. Not a bad watch, even with the comedic stabs at North Dakota.

The seriousness of his injury was staggering to me and to be where he is at in his recovery is REMARKABLE!!

Mike Chambers is a major d-bag what the hell is he trying to do with this gutter journalism...

I agree,; don't think this has anything to do with what Martin or Denver said. Chambers led him down this path to post more BS that is in his mind only.

I feel bad for Martin...in all likelihood, Chambers is painting a picture of him that isn't accurate. In all other interviews, Martin doesn't act like Chambers is saying he is acting.

There are a few quotes from Martin that I feel represent some suppressed anger...and until I get my neck broken and almost die, I can't comment on those feelings.

Best wishes to him in the future.

Your observation I think is really an accurate representation of Martin. I am sure it is easy for Chambers to "shade" a response. Best to Jesse

I can't effing believe this but College Hockey News has picked up Mike Chambers story and put it in their Midwest regional preview.

MW regional preview

UND won a double overtime thriller last week in the title game of the WCHA Final Five, and the burgeoning rivalry was doused with new gas this week when DU senior Jesse Martin made comments to The Denver Post's Mike Chambers in a story about North Dakota's lack of sympathy in the wake of a life threatening neck injury sustained by Martin at the hands of Brad Malone Oct. 30 in Grand Forks. The hit fractured Martin's C2 vertebra, and while acknowledging comments made in the press by Malone and UND coach Dave Hakstol, he said the first he had heard from either of them were in newspaper articles.

"If I thought they were genuine comments, I wouldn't be reading about it in your articles for the first time," Martin told The Post. "I'm just being honest. If I had heard those things three months ago, I'd be all for (moving on). It's just hard when you read about it in the newspaper."

Both Malone and Hakstol were unavailable for comment on the story. And by the way, Martin, whose hockey career is in jeopardy, will be in Green Bay this weekend — which could make for an interesting dynamic should these teams meet in Sunday's region final.

I guess people have found out that they can generate a lot of buzz for their content if they smear the UND hockey program.

I hate to even post this, because I think it's better to ignore this kind of trash, but it's hard not to react.

What would be more embarassing for a sports writer would be that phony story Kristo told about his frostbite and printing it. His story reminded me of Joe and Bill Bonnano's biographies. No one believed those either.

No brains... No headache.

You truly are a Flounder :silly: