SiouxSports.com Forum

Best Ever

Marty

Who's the best player to ever wear a Sioux uniform?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the best player to ever wear a Sioux uniform?

• Ed Belfour
    • Jason Blake
    • Jon Casey
    • Tony Hrkac
    • Greg Johnson
    • Craig Ludwig
    • John Noah
    • Jeff Panzer
    • James Patrick
    • Other

Keep in mind that I'm more new school than old school.

My choice would have to be Ed Belfour because he was exceptional when he played for the Sioux and he has had such great success in the NHL.

The best player that I ever got to see play was Jeff Panzer. He was unbelievable to watch. The way he could frustrate other teams with his speed was just unreal. Parise and Murray remind me of him the way they can pester opponents on the powerplays.

Are we talking about just as a Sioux or their overall career?

I would say you have to take into account both. If a player has an unbelievable time while playing for the Sioux and never can make it in the NHL then he probably isn't the best ever. If a player doesn't play all that well for the Sioux and has a great career in the NHL then that would hinder his chances as well.

I don't know how in the world you could put Karl Goehring above Ed Belfour. That's just crazy talk to me!

I'm not bad mouthing Karl. I think Karl was one of the greatest goalies ever to play for the Sioux. I just don't think he is better than Eddie.

I agree that Karl had a better career with the Sioux BUT Eddie played one season with the Sioux and won a national championship and went 29-4. This one season and his successful NHL career makes Eddie the best ever to put on a Sioux uniform.

One could make a very strong case for Tony Hrkac.

I don't know how in the world you could put Karl Goehring above Ed Belfour. That's just crazy talk to me!

Because it is based on college, not what they did in their pro career. Belfour was very good when he was at UND, but never dominated like Karl. Look at the record books, particularly shutouts and GAA. Karl is easily the best goalie to ever play for UND. I would rank Casey ahead of Belfour for college. Aaron Schweitzer had a freshman year comparable to Belfour's.

I have been a fan of Sioux Hockey since the late '70's. Went to school at UND in the mid '80's. Anybody whom saw Tony Hrkac play at UND would have to say that he was unquestionably the best ever. Some of the things he did on the ice were simply amazing. It was just great to watch him.