SiouxSports.com Forum

UTPA @ UND

dakotadan

Question: The camera showed the student section during the second half and nobody was sitting in that end (well, very few). Has student attendance usually been this poor during the season, or would this be just because they are playing a team that hasn't won in forever?

I hope its -30 on Saturday when Houston Baptist is here.....hehehehehe :lol:

DVRd the game last night and watched it late. Fun game to watch. I don't think I have ever seen teams hit such a high percentage of 3's. Reading the box score, they both hit 63.2% on 3-pointers.

The Sioux played pretty good "O", but now need to start working on the "D". Too many times last night the Broncs went right past the guards and into the lane. The Broncs also had 8 offensive rebounds. Still ....good to see a "W"

With all five of the players in double figures being freshman, the future of Sioux BB is looking up. :D

Go SIOUX!!!

I fully realize that we're not in a position to be overly critical about a game we won, but...UTPA is 3-18, has an RPI of 340, and was missing their leading scorer, and yet still managed to keep the game close throughout, and scored well over their season average. The UND defense has got to play better than that, and we can't afford Brekke getting in foul trouble if we're going to win many more games this year. On paper, the only game left on the schedule which should be easier than last night is Saturday against Houston Baptist--currently last in the RPI ratings.

I have been pretty hard on the basketball team the last few years...especially Coach Jones. Although I'm not ready to jump on the coach's bandwagon quite yet, I do have to say I liked what I saw in yesterdays game. Granted there were a few stretches where we didn't play well but that happens to most teams...especially young teams.

The offense looked better than it did agains UVU. There seemed to be less "out of control" drives to the basket and more ball movement. We shot an aweful lot of 3 pointers, but many of them were open looks and we were making them.

The defense still needs some work. There were quite a few times when we were out of position down low (especially Allard) which led to fouling.

All in all it was a good rebound performance. The team seemed to have used the UVU game as learning experience. Granted they weren't playing a great team, but UTPA put up a challenge and the Sioux didn't collapse under the pressure. A good win for a young team.

I fully realize that we're not in a position to be overly critical about a game we won, but...UTPA is 3-18, has an RPI of 340, and was missing their leading scorer, and yet still managed to keep the game close throughout, and scored well over their season average. The UND defense has got to play better than that, and we can't afford Brekke getting in foul trouble if we're going to win many more games this year. On paper, the only game left on the schedule which should be easier than last night is Saturday against Houston Baptist--currently last in the RPI ratings.

I understand what you are saying but sometimes a record can lead you into a false sense of security. UTPA has played alot tougher scedule than most teams in the Great West. They lost to Northwestern University of the big ten by only 6 and alot of their games have been very close. Yes we should have won but again right now we are not a dominate team that can just run away from anyone at the D1 level. Hopefully in a couple years as these freshmen mature and get bigger and stronger we can do this. Right now any win against a D1 team is GOOD. Both teams last night just shot the lights out. I was beginning to think they increased the size of the rim or something. Go Sioux

I'm not going to get down on our defense, we have played very well on that side of the ball in the UVU (regulation) & USD games-- this was a very interesting game- They made some shots- some well defended 3's with a hand in there face and some not well defended. The one thing that was a real surprise is that 6' 8 Fr. #13 who has done absolutely nothing all year... just went off. When we went out to guard tight they went to the basket hard & when Urbanus is making riduculous floaters over defenders in the lane. What are you going to do? the kid hit some really tough shots. We handled their pressure and we didn't turn it over, and never relenquished the lead. We bent but didn't break. If UTPA gets play from #13 the way they did this game (as Coach Moody said in the pre-game show that they have had near 0 in the paint presence scoring coming into last night) they are going to be a pretty good basketball team. Both teams made 12 3's in the game on only 17 attempts each. If you would tell me that we would draw even in that battle when a team knocks in that many 3's on you on your home floor... I would tell you your crazy, but somehow we made a ton of those shots which is promising.

This team needs wins. They are getting them. To watch these freshmen do so well is very encouraging. There is a real chance that this team can compete in the Big Sky, and perhaps...go on a run and get an autobid to the big dance. That is a big IF, but the groundwork is being laid this year.

This team needs wins. They are getting them. To watch these freshmen do so well is very encouraging. There is a real chance that this team can compete in the Big Sky, and perhaps...go on a run and get an autobid to the big dance. That is a big IF, but the groundwork is being laid this year.

Amen to your quote. All five freshmen scoring double digits in points and I believe all five are averaging double digits thru the first three conference games. I dont think you could possibly ask for more at this stage of their careers. I've been hard on Huff at times thru this year but I thought last night Huff played his best game of the year. Can't remember one time he was out of control going to the basket and he had some really great passes. The flick to Benter was unreal and he made one good decision after another. Hopefully this will continue the remainder of the year. Only 4 more home games for the fans to see this team, wish more people would attend and see the future. Go Sioux

Amen to your quote. All five freshmen scoring double digits in points and I believe all five are averaging double digits thru the first three conference games. I dont think you could possibly ask for more at this stage of their careers. I've been hard on Huff at times thru this year but I thought last night Huff played his best game of the year. Can't remember one time he was out of control going to the basket and he had some really great passes. The flick to Benter was unreal and he made one good decision after another. Hopefully this will continue the remainder of the year. Only 4 more home games for the fans to see this team, wish more people would attend and see the future. Go Sioux

The fake by Anderson going down the lane was pretty nice, too. He caught the Bronc player flat-footed and scored any easy lay-up.