SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs UNO

AZSIOUX

The Sioux head into this series splitting vs Minnesota while UNO managed only 1 point at home vs BSU........GO SIOUX

WCHA Standings

Pairwise Rankings

und.gif - Sioux Hockey Home Page

NCAA Division I Overall Record: 17-6-2 (.720)

Conference Record, WCHA: 12-4-0, 24 points

Home: 8-3-1 / Away: 8-3-1 / Neutral: 1-0-0

uno.gif - Mavericks Hockey Home Page

NCAA Division I Overall Record: 12-8-2 (.591)

Conference Record, WCHA: 9-5-2, 20 points

Home: 7-2-1 / Away: 5-6-1 / Neutral: 0-0-0

I hope we destroy these guys. Both nights.

And... I will be there... in person...on Saturday with my sister who has never been to a hockey game in her life. :lol:

First trip to the Ralph this year. So ready.

I hope she walks out of there thinking I've GOT to do this again!

I don't see many Omaha fans traveling to Grand Forks other than family members of the team. Could be wrong though with the excitement that Blais has taken to Omaha.

Very interesting series. I think the sioux matchup great with the Mavs. The Sioux were a couple of great saves away from sweeping the mavs earlier this year, and I think the sioux have motivation from the last second loss to play two complete games agains the Mavs. And of course....Blais will be in the building.

Here is an interesting thing to ponder. Does anybody think Blais will say something in the paper this week or doing something during the series to piss Sioux fans off? I have a funny feeling that he'll do or say something to get under people's skin, and of course, take the spotlight off of his hockey team. :lol:

I know I'll get ripped a new one for this one (again), but I'll throw this out there anyways.

Mario Lamoureux should not see as much ice time as he does...ESPECIALLY with a guy like Brent Davidson getting scratched regularly. In my opinion, Lamoureux does virtually nothing offensively and while his defensive approach is worthy of applause, I don't agree with the demeanor he goes about doing it. He plays overly aggressive and takes stupid penalties when he shouldn't. He tries too hard to be the tough guy on the ice when I don't think he can back it up physically. In the end, Mario is a great PK guy, but not much more. Brent, on the other hand, is just as physical if not moreso, bigger, practices just as hard, plays smarter, and has generated some great scoring chances in the limited time he's been on the ice while still being rock-solid defensively (which is his role...like Mario). Imagine if he played regularly and could generate some chemistry with a line. There's a reason why the Genoway family told Hak & Co. that he needs to be a Fighting Sioux. Mario is a -3 in WCHA play while Davidson is a +2 in limited time.

Just my $.02.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I don't see many Omaha fans traveling to Grand Forks other than family members of the team. Could be wrong though with the excitement that Blais has taken to Omaha.

UNO has some very diehard fans. We may not see many UNO fans in The Ralph simply because they aren't able to get tickets, but I talked with some very dedicated fans. However, we were so warmly welcomed by the fans in Omaha that I certainly hope Sioux fans extend the same courtesy to UNO fans. I have never been to an opposing arena where we have been treated so well. I believe that they have a second-class citizen complex and they feel playing the Sioux simply helped to elevate their program. They hold the Fighting Sioux history and tradition in high regard. Their fans were rabid on Friday night, but attendance was down drastically on Saturday night because Nebraska football was on the telly. They do have some priority issues evidently.

I am curious as to why UNO seems to have fallen on hard times, because they are big, fast, and physical. They also have a pretty good goalie. They were a strong test for the Sioux and drove the net in waves. Classic Dean Blais team.

And yes, leave the damn cowbells in Omaha. The tiny freebies they handed out were ok, but a few people had big heavy ones and a drumstick to pound with.

• Upvote 1

I know I'll get ripped a new one for this one (again), but I'll throw this out there anyways.

Mario Lamoureux should not see as much ice time as he does...ESPECIALLY with a guy like Brent Davidson getting scratched regularly. In my opinion, Lamoureux does virtually nothing offensively and while his defensive approach is worthy of applause, I don't agree with the demeanor he goes about doing it. He plays overly aggressive and takes stupid penalties when he shouldn't. He tries too hard to be the tough guy on the ice when I don't think he can back it up physically. In the end, Mario is a great PK guy, but not much more. Brent, on the other hand, is just as physical if not moreso, bigger, practices just as hard, plays smarter, and has generated some great scoring chances in the limited time he's been on the ice while still being rock-solid defensively (which is his role...like Mario). Imagine if he played regularly and could generate some chemistry with a line. There's a reason why the Genoway family told Hak & Co. that he needs to be a Fighting Sioux. Mario is a -3 in WCHA play while Davidson is a +2 in limited time.

Just my $.02.

I don't disagree with you. Lammy provides a benefit on the PK, but otherwise his play has concerned me for some time. Not much production offensively and has a tendency to do some not so smart things at times. The one thing he does bring to the table is that he plays center. I think that we are little short in that position.

UNO has some very diehard fans. We may not see many UNO fans in The Ralph simply because they aren't able to get tickets, but I talked with some very dedicated fans. However, we were so warmly welcomed by the fans in Omaha that I certainly hope Sioux fans extend the same courtesy to UNO fans. I have never been to an opposing arena where we have been treated so well. I believe that they have a second-class citizen complex and they feel playing the Sioux simply helped to elevate their program. They hold the Fighting Sioux history and tradition in high regard. Their fans were rabid on Friday night, but attendance was down drastically on Saturday night because Nebraska football was on the telly. They do have some priority issues evidently.

I am curious as to why UNO seems to have fallen on hard times, because they are big, fast, and physical. They also have a pretty good goalie. They were a strong test for the Sioux and drove the net in waves. Classic Dean Blais team.

And yes, leave the damn cowbells in Omaha. The tiny freebies they handed out were ok, but a few people had big heavy ones and a drumstick to pound with.

We met tons of nice people in Omaha, but the people that sat around us were jerks. It's like they took half of a page out of a Gopher's fan book. There was a family right behind us and the father kept telling the child to ring the bell over our heads. My friends and I are very-well behaved and respectful. We don't ish talk, we don't bump shoulders and we don't parade around some else's rink like we own the place. We're just a group of two, three or four (depending on the time and road trip) young ladies trying to watch and appreciate some good hockey. With that said, I will gladly travel to Omaha again. It was a fun trip and the nice people we met far outweighed the group that sat around us, but I really had to restrain myself from turning around, ripping the cowbell from that kid's hands and throwing that thing onto the ice. :lol: I do hope that some make the trek and enjoy themselves!

I don't disagree with you. Lammy provides a benefit on the PK, but otherwise his play has concerned me for some time. Not much production offensively and has a tendency to do some not so smart things at times. The one thing he does bring to the table is that he plays center. I think that we are little short in that position.

We're not short at guys who can play center. We're just short on guys with experience at it at the collegiate level. Lammy plays center, Rowney can play center, if Cichy plays I've seen him at center before. The fourth line center can be interchangeable and I think Lammy is in that role because of his experience.

I do agree Lammy's offensive production is lacking. When I see him on a breakaway I think that I wish it was someone else. (Like Trupp haha).

Just my $.02.

I will agree with you about Brent Davidson though I would not take Mario out but replace Rowney. In previous games when Rodwell, Laoureaux and Davidson have been on the same line they have consistentky played well and created lots of scoring chances as well as keeeping the opponents shut down. I think if Hak would have given Davidson the chances that he gave some of the others you would have seen the same results but prettty hard when you don't get a chance to play. now he's doing the same to Cichy and Bruneteau. I know we are loaded but there is always the possibilty of injuries and these guys need to play more often to be ready. Game play is far diffferent from practice. Myabe Hextall shouid sit a game or 2 and not take such dumb penalties.

I will agree with you about Brent Davidson though I would not take Mario out but replace Rowney. In previous games when Rodwell, Laoureaux and Davidson have been on the same line they have consistentky played well and created lots of scoring chances as well as keeeping the opponents shut down. I think if Hak would have given Davidson the chances that he gave some of the others you would have seen the same results but prettty hard when you don't get a chance to play. now he's doing the same to Cichy and Bruneteau. I know we are loaded but there is always the possibilty of injuries and these guys need to play more often to be ready. Game play is far diffferent from practice. Myabe Hextall shouid sit a game or 2 and not take such dumb penalties.

Agree with Davidson...big, strong and smart. Mario is more than solid, but without Davidson with Mario and Rodwell puck possession is limited on that line. Davidson, as some have said, is an X factor and I agree with that.

And what's the deal with Cichy? A few week ago, one could argue he was one of our better forwards. The Gleason at forward thing I didn't get the 1st time it happend and definately didn't get it the times after that. I could see Marto at forward with Hexy and JG out, but with them back Marto needs to be back at D IMO, especially with Forbort looking shakey at best the last 2 weekends.

Hextall is and always will be a wildcard for this team. You can tell within his 1st 2 or 3 shifts whether you are going to get a skilled kid playing on edge or a player that quickly falls off the edge into stupid, undisciplined play.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Mavericks. Whatever our boys had at the beginning of the year, they either don't have any more, or everyone has caught up to. 0-3-1 against Quinnipiac and Bemidji is all you need to know.

As for the relationship among fans, I am certainly sorry there were jerky fans in Omaha. I had very pleasant interactions with Sioux fans, who were equally gracious in the concourse after both games, which I think says a lot about your fan base. Saturday would have been hard for anyone on the fuzzy end to take, but there were lots of smiles and handshakes from folks in green. Respect.

There will be a few fans anxious to see REA this weekend, and I was going to be one of them but for an unruly ex-wife. Next year, perhaps.

You have lots of laundry in the rafters, and your school is the world HQ for the brand of hockey we've fallen in love with. I think anyone with any measure of sense in Omaha has a great measure of respect for UND, for obvious reasons.

This series will go well for you, probably so well that it will finish off the Mavs for the postseason. I don't say this to be dire or cute - even Blais said it would take two seasons of .500 hockey before he could win championships at UNO, just like it was at UND. So it shall be.

Sioux 5-2, 7-1.

Sioux 5-2, 7-1.

I expect UND to sweep, but not by those scores. One thing about the WCHA is the 2nd go around the scoring tends to be lower as games tighten up defensively for the most part. Friday's loss to the Gophers was an early 2nd half wake-up call and couple that with the stunning Sat. night loss in Omaha, I like the Sioux both nights.

4-1 and 3-2 UND.

I expect UND to sweep, but not by those scores. One thing about the WCHA is the 2nd go around the scoring tends to be lower as games tighten up defensively for the most part. Friday's loss to the Gophers was an early 2nd half wake-up call and couple that with the stunning Sat. night loss in Omaha, I like the Sioux both nights.

4-1 and 3-2 UND.

Those scores seem a little more realistic. Typically we come out flying on Friday night, so I think we'll see a 5-1 Friday, and a 3-2 Saturday. You gotta give the Gophers credit that weekend, they played tight hockey. I think they should be happy that it was on an NHL size rink and not an Olympic size rink. With our talent and work ethic, it would have been a sweep in Minneapolis (still shoulda been a sweep in GF)

I expect a war this weekend and I don't see anything but two hard fought games.

Goon,

I need to apologize to you. Last week I was annoyed of how much you disliked C-Piss. I hated how you ripped on him.

Friday I saw that scrum and noticed right away someones stick around Mac's throat, watched it over and over again. I'm still fuming on how that scrum turned out and the classlessness of the "fighting" of the Gophers. I didn't realize it was C-Piss until I saw your picture post from the lovely MissSioux. I will forever hate that piece of dirt player. BUT then he goes above and beyond on Saturday and gives Genoway a needless shove after that Barriball incident.

Sitting here I still can't believe that scrum and C-pIsses actions during it. With the slightest of pressure could have crushed Mac's throat. What an absolute idiot. Face people like a man. Hes the type of person who would punch someone in the nuts and run away. Or get his older brother to beat up his friends because they beat him in SEGA NHL 94.

• Upvote 1

If you see an Omaha fan at the game or out and about in Grand Forks, thank them for coming to Grand Forks for the games.

I always thought we were nice people but when we went to the games earlier this year I could not believe the number of people who thanked us for "coming down" to the Omaha games. They were super nice and even some firemen we ran into thanked us. Please reciprocate!

Goon,

I need to apologize to you. Last week I was annoyed of how much you disliked C-Piss. I hated how you ripped on him.

Friday I saw that scrum and noticed right away someones stick around Mac's throat, watched it over and over again. I'm still fuming on how that scrum turned out and the classlessness of the "fighting" of the Gophers. I didn't realize it was C-Piss until I saw your picture post from the lovely MissSioux. I will forever hate that piece of dirt player. BUT then he goes above and beyond on Saturday and gives Genoway a needless shove after that Barriball incident.

Sitting here I still can't believe that scrum and C-pIsses actions during it. With the slightest of pressure could have crushed Mac's throat. What an absolute idiot. Face people like a man. Hes the type of person who would punch someone in the nuts and run away. Or get his older brother to beat up his friends because they beat him in SEGA NHL 94.

Ah don't worry about it, I don't hold a grudge and I don't have a very long memory and it was debating... I don't think there is any room in the game for that kind of crap... In a league that he had to fight C-Piss would come no where near Andrew MacWilliam or Ben Blood. They would wipe the ice with him...

I agree with Goon that these will be a couple of hard fought games. Obviously UNO has the ability to play a very tough game as their early season record showed. They may be struggling but that doesn't mean they will struggle this weekend. This should be a big weekend for them, coming to ND for the first time. They are going to want to show they are not intimidated. And you can bet Blais is preparing them so they aren't all wide eyed at seeing the Ralph.

I think the Sioux should take them both but I don't think they will be easy games. At least not both.

• Upvote 1