SiouxSports.com Forum

The Road to Redemption

Cratter

That's exactly the complaint of the brother of the Prodigal Son.

The Prodigal son was the older brother of the two. In those times, the oldest son was automatically given all the belongings of his father (any other brothers were owed nothing). That is why the Prodigal son was treated like he was.

:)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Prodigal son was the older brother of the two. In those times, the oldest son was automatically given all the belongings of his father (any other brothers were owed nothing). That is why the Prodigal son was treated like he was.

:)

Luke says the Prodigal Son was the younger.

Matt took a trememdous negative in his life and turned his life around for the better. According to the article, he's still working on bettering himself. I have to hope that the committee looks at that and sees that at the very least the negative has been cancelled out by his actions after 'hitting bottom'. At the most, I hope the committee looks at what he's done after his fu's and gives him a point or two over the guy who has never had to work himself up from the bottom. Who's to say that 'perfect' guy has the cojones to do it. Matt's proven he does. To even be considered as a HB candidate is a big deal.

We have two players who have overcome tremendous adversities who should be HB candidates, Frattin and Genoway!

'You've come a long way, baby!'

We have one, Frattin. deserves to be a canditate because of his one/off ice hockey performance this year and maybe if one feels what a player does with personal adversity should be counted toward Hobey consideration. Genoway's no, his on ice performance is not currently Hobey worthy and there plenty of other Sioux TEAMmates and WCHA players who have overcome more adversity than Genoway but under radar of the promotional wheel which in this case is trying to create a Hobey candidate. How about earning it. How many times do we have to see Genoway leave his teammates out to dry. Adversity is what Frattin is going through not Genoway. If Genoway is adversity, one should look under Lapoint first.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Unreal that the Christmas break gives Sioux fans the chance to rip repeatedly on different current Sioux players. What's wrong with you guys?

You've noticed that, too? :angry: I don't understand that mentality.

Dagies is correct. The Prodigal Son was the youngest of the brothers.

We have one, Frattin. deserves to be a canditate because of his one/off ice hockey performance this year and maybe if one feels what a player does with personal adversity should be counted toward Hobey consideration. Genoway's no, his on ice performance is not currently Hobey worthy and there plenty of other Sioux TEAMmates and WCHA players who have overcome more adversity than Genoway but under radar of the promotional wheel which in this case is trying to create a Hobey candidate. How about earning it. How many times do we have to see Genoway leave his teammates out to dry. Adversity is what Frattin is going through not Genoway. If Genoway is adversity, one should look under Lapoint first.

I would consider coming back from a season ending concussion is adversity - it appears you haven't recovered from yours.

I agree that based on performance Frattin has put himself in a situation to be considered for the Hobey. I don't think Genoway's numbers would put him in the running. One could argue that Genoway brings a lot of intangibles that many other player's don't (anyone who's watched him would likely agree) but I don't see him getting serious consideration based on stats alone. With that said, in many ways he's just as important a piece of this team as Frattin (in some ways, likely more) , and personally, he's just a great, likable guy and a heck of a lot of fun to watch.

But seriously cowboychuck, what's your agenda against Genoway? You're starting to sound like a jilted lover here. You don't like him (or you don't like that other people like him). We get it. Really, we do. We understand. Really. It would be really nice to see someone post something nice about a player they like, without you making it your mission to swoop in and point out you think Genoway's overhyped (have you ever posted anything that wasn't directly related to bashing Genoway?). In my opinion, the team's a lot better for having him, and he went through a lot last year. I'm glad he came back, and I'd take a team full of Genoway's any day.

For me, this season's been a ton of fun so far, and looking forward to the second half. Bring it on!

• Upvote 1

While we're on the subject of Frattin, Genoway and the Hobey

Per UNDSID on Twitter:

Ryan Duncan had 11 G at the Xmas break during his Hobey Baker season of '07-08. Matt Frattin has 17 G at the break vs. toughest sked in NCAA

After missing virtually an entire season, Chay Genoway has more points than all but four defensemen in the country.
  • Upvote 1

Aside from his leadership, one of the things I like about Genoway is the thing that gets him in trouble now and then--he can be aggressive offensively. Hak runs a very disciplined, defensively responsible system. Sometimes, it seems that with the firepower he has, his teams could benefit from up-and-down hockey. I think I'm probably wrong on that, as a whole, but having a guy like Chay who likes to push puck up the ice is IMO a good thing in a Hakstol system, even with the risks. I just like a little up and down excitement.

Great article by Brad and these days it is a lot about promotion and also the feel good stories sell. Matt has overcome a lot and the lessons that he teaches us all about true commitment to someones word is incredible.

Also the argument that Genoway isn't Hobey worthy is just silly, we're half way through the season its still early. Just because Genoway isn't red hot like the start of last year, doesn't mean hes not worthy for a nod. Last year Wisconsin had two Hobey finalists. I don't see any reason why at the end of the year we shouldn't have two finalists as well.

Aside from his leadership, one of the things I like about Genoway is the thing that gets him in trouble now and then--he can be aggressive offensively. Hak runs a very disciplined, defensively responsible system. Sometimes, it seems that with the firepower he has, his teams could benefit from up-and-down hockey. I think I'm probably wrong on that, as a whole, but having a guy like Chay who likes to push puck up the ice is IMO a good thing in a Hakstol system, even with the risks. I just like a little up and down excitement.

Its a great thing. Hak clearly loves when certain D carry the puck up the ice and create that 4 on 2. Good example is how Blood and Genoway both do it. But as you said, it can get us in trouble, which we've seen a bit this year from Genoway. But with that, he creates so much which is key for our offense.

I think we should drop it before Jim gets mad about the discussion of religion on the boards. :D

Darn, I was thinking about starting a political discussion today that had roots in Religion as well to get everyone all fired up for the Holidays... :)

I was just kidding..... :D

Unreal that the Christmas break gives Sioux fans the chance to rip repeatedly on different current Sioux players. What's wrong with you guys?

I was noticing that as well lately, the Sioux at the break are one of the better teams in College Hockey this season and you would think from reading some of the fodder here that they are a bunch of talentless hacks that are in the bottom rung of the WCHA standings. I don't think the Sioux have even scratched the surface yet, imagine when Jason and Hexy when they come back, they take fire along with Kristo, holy cow this team could be hot as a pistol... I doubt we will be talking about Yale much... This team has the potential in my opinion to make a run deep if the stars align... I am ready for the second half already...

I was noticing that as well lately, the Sioux at the break are one of the better teams in College Hockey this season and you would think from reading some of the fodder here that they are a bunch of talentless hacks that are in the bottom rung of the WCHA standings. I don't think the Sioux have even scratched the surface yet, imagine when Jason and Hexy when they come back, they take fire along with Kristo, holy cow this team could be hot as a pistol... I doubt we will be talking about Yale much... This team has the potential in my opinion to make a run deep if the stars align... I am ready for the second half already...

Don't forget Brock Nelson, who could rejuvenate his rookie campaign after a strong World Jr. campaign. The guy is no slouch.

I love watching this team!! The lines are so tight! No need to look for your guy, you know he's there to catch the pass. Mess ups, screw ups, they're just part of the game. Like Goon, I can't wait for the second half!!

Yeah, time to start the second half of the season by spoiling the Bulldogs opening their new arena... Hopefully the Sioux whoop that Bulldog ass on the 30th when they open the Oil Can...