SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU to recieve another big donation

gfhockey

Yup....you are right.....and UND is just having a fantastic transition to DI! Things couldn't be going better. The FB and BB teams are right on track.........and how about that schedule for the FB team next year. By god that will have the fans on the edge of the seats. I don't know why we at NDSU even bother to field teams.............. :lol::silly::lol::silly: Star has been drinking one hell of a lot of kool-aide lately......... :lol:

Idiot.

• Upvote 2

Yup....you are right.....and UND is just having a fantastic transition to DI! Things couldn't be going better. The FB and BB teams are right on track.........and how about that schedule for the FB team next year. By god that will have the fans on the edge of the seats. I don't know why we at NDSU even bother to field teams.............. :lol::silly::lol::silly: Star has been drinking one hell of a lot of kool-aide lately......... :lol:

A bison fan calling another school's fans kool-aide drinkers! Now that is classic.

• Upvote 1

A parnership of over 25 years that was dropped without any back and forth communication by ndsu. Just a phone call by Gene saying your out.

I'm not going to judge if thats good business or not but you can't brush it off as it was nothing. Its not like ndsu got the money no strings attached. Nice try though.

I don't believe there was a lot Sanford asked for from NDSU. Sanford outbid Innovis for the Atheltic training contract. In return they recieved some naming rights. Sanford physicians provide the physician services to NDSU and Sanford is going to work on building facilities in the Fargo area for Sports Medicine, speed and strength training and research in these areas. They would like to do some things with the UND med school, the athletic training program, physical therapy etc. with regard to Sports Medicine. There are funds available for research and developing athletic trianing programs, physicians and athletic trainers for rural areas. There is nothing requiring naming rights for the med school. I couldn't tell you what the "strings" might be but a number of UND guys have said Sanford has been "great to work with". I have asked what if anything UND alumni who work for Sanford could do to help and I was told nothing was needed and they were very complimentary of the Sanford folks.

I am not sure why anyone would object to a clinic with operations in EGF, and N.Dak. wanting to establish a relationship with Sanford.

I just neg'd your post - but I do hope that you are feeling better.

As a huge Fighting Sioux fan and also a Scheels employee, I can see why, from a marketing standpoint why the donation was given. Since Fargo is our corporate headquarters it is natural that we get involved with the community here in Fargo. These donations are for SPORTS FACILITIES. We are in the business of sports. UND doesn't need new sports facilities, we have everything we need. I also think its weird that people associate UND grads or fans with Grand Forks. I believe it is the University of North Dakota, not the University of Grand Forks. Both towns are different and offer different perks. I think all this Fargo is better crap is irrelevant. I live in Fargo and we do sell more Fighting Sioux gear than we do NDSU. That is not because the name is going away, it is because UND hockey is more nationally known than any other North Dakota team. The Sioux are North Dakota's "professional" team. So it's nothing against UND that Scheels hasn't donated money to them. The fact is UND already has first class sporting facilities. Most of the leadership at Scheels are UND grads so believe me Scheels is not Bison biased.

UND doesn't need new sports facilities, we have everything we need - what?!?!?

Really - Baseball, track and field and football need facility improvements. I think that it is fine that Scheels gave NDSU money - they can do as they see fit... But, I won't shop at Scheels in the future.

WYO: The NDSU football team was 2 and 8 in 2009.

You, if anyone, should know that (a) transition time can be rough, and (b) things can change rather quickly.

I see you on a horse in your avatar.

Hold tight onto those reigns as it's rough when one falls from a high horse.

UND doesn't need new sports facilities, we have everything we need - what?!?!?

Really - Baseball, track and field and football need facility improvements. I think that it is fine that Scheels gave NDSU money - they can do as they see fit... But, I won't shop at Scheels in the future.

I wouldn't expect the same donation to UND but UND needs to upgrade its outdoor track and needs the indoor FB, baseball and indoor track facility they are presently raising money for.

Remember, the U of Minnesota also ended up turning down the Sanford money for their football stadium. I believe that was $30 or $40 million. When Sanford donates money it apparently comes with plenty of strings attached. I don't think that's unusual. Certainly Ralph wanted some things done certain ways so he put up all the money needed to complete the arena he wanted for the hockey program and he also personally managed the project. He really didn't ask for much in return.

I think the Sanford money comes with some requirements that UND is uncomfortable with similar to what Minnesota was. UND and Minnesota see quite a few donation similar to the ones that Scheel's and Sanford are giving so they don't need to sell their soul for the money. NDSU isn't in a position to turn anything down no matter what they're required to do. The Ag College never see's donations like this so they'll bend over and do whatever is required and they'll do it with a smile. I give Minnesota a lot of credit for sticking to their principles and turning the money down and to UND for putting it on hold until certain things can be worked out that will not compromise their principles.

T. Denny Sanford, the individual, is a U of MN grad and resides in Sioux Falls SD. He's the principal owner of Premier Bank and Premier Bankcard, based in Sioux Falls. T. Denny Sanford donated a boatload of money to the large health-care organization based in Sioux Falls formerly know as "Sioux Valley". The health organization changed its name to Sanford Health.

As has been noted in this thread, T. Denny, the individual, offered $30 or $40 million to the U of MN many years ago in conjunction with the new stadium project -- he wanted naming rights. Something broke down in the negotiations and the offer was withdrawn or not accepted. More recently, the relationship was patched up and T. Denny donated $6 million for the Hall of Fame room in the new stadium. He was present and publicly recognized on the field at halftime of the USD v. Minnesota football game.

It's the health organization that merged (took over) Merit Care. It's the health organization that is being talked about as a significant donor to renovating the NDSU Bison Sports Arena. While I don't know the actual fact, I think its the health organization that made an offer to UND (I'm assuming there is substance to what I have read on this message board...I actually hadn't read or heard about such an offer until I read it here). If I had to guess, I'd say the Sanford health organization was trying to set up a strategic alliance with the UND School of Medicine, much like what it has done with the U of South Dakota School of Medicine when Sanford Health was still known as Sioux Valley Health System. [T. Denny Sanford, the individual, later made a significant personal donation to the USD School of Medicine. I doubt the inidividual Sandord is making a donation to UND.]

As a huge Fighting Sioux fan and also a Scheels employee, I can see why, from a marketing standpoint why the donation was given. Since Fargo is our corporate headquarters it is natural that we get involved with the community here in Fargo. These donations are for SPORTS FACILITIES. We are in the business of sports. UND doesn't need new sports facilities, we have everything we need. I also think its weird that people associate UND grads or fans with Grand Forks. I believe it is the University of North Dakota, not the University of Grand Forks. Both towns are different and offer different perks. I think all this Fargo is better crap is irrelevant. I live in Fargo and we do sell more Fighting Sioux gear than we do NDSU. That is not because the name is going away, it is because UND hockey is more nationally known than any other North Dakota team. The Sioux are North Dakota's "professional" team. So it's nothing against UND that Scheels hasn't donated money to them. The fact is UND already has first class sporting facilities. Most of the leadership at Scheels are UND grads so believe me Scheels is not Bison biased.

Thanks for the info! Highlighted some facts just to ensure that Bison trolls read it.

I think everyone recognizes that Scheels is Fargo-based - the Fargo Scheels is certainly a destination store. Placing the Scheels name on the Urban Plains Center is likely looked at by all citizens as a very civic minded act. But as some Sioux fans here have noted, paying and sponsoring for a piece of the new SHAC - while also very civic minded (NDSU needs the finances badly), may very well be also be viewed as a statement of allegiance. As other posters have also noted, UND does have athletic facility needs (indoor practice facility). Perhaps Scheels can balance the playing field a bit. ;)

Couple of questions for you that you may not be able to answer:

Any chance Grand Forks gets a Scheels superstore?

What kind of impact on sales do you expect with a new nickname?

Thanks for the info! Highlighted some facts just to ensure that Bison trolls read it.

I think everyone recognizes that Scheels is Fargo-based - the Fargo Scheels is certainly a destination store. Placing the Scheels name on the Urban Plains Center is likely looked at by all citizens as a very civic minded act. But as some Sioux fans here have noted, paying and sponsoring for a piece of the new SHAC - while also very civic minded (NDSU needs the finances badly), may very well be also be viewed as a statement of allegiance. As other posters have also noted, UND does have athletic facility needs (indoor practice facility). Perhaps Scheels can balance the playing field a bit. ;)

Couple of questions for you that you may not be able to answer:

Any chance Grand Forks gets a Scheels superstore?

What kind of impact on sales do you expect with a new nickname?

You are 100 percent correct that I cannot answer definitively on both those questions but I can however give you my opinion as a very loyal Scheels employee...

1st question....

I think Grand Forks deserves a better Scheels and I think that is being considered among the leadership. However, I think there are some wrinkles that need to be overcome as far as a location. Scheels is in the process of expanding not only locally but regionally. We have demand to open in a variety of different places. Like I pointed out in my early post, there is quite a few members of the Scheels leadership that are UND grads and have a great deal of pride about being Fighting Sioux. That being said... I think that Grand Forks will get a larger store. I think it is not a question of if but when... Grand Forks is a key market for the company. This company is not like a lot of other companies out there that act too quicky only to fail because they haven't thought out their business strategies well. Everything our company does is very well thought out and that is why we are so successful. The old Target, in my opinion, would be a great venue for a new store.

Your 2nd question,

The retiring of the nickname does represent a challenge to all retailers that sell Fighting Sioux merchandise. Think about the Sioux shop... They can't even call themselves the Sioux shop anymore. (Well they can they just can't sell Sioux merch.) Again, that being said, I believe that we will be able to keep sales by promotion of whatever the new name will be. As of now, we will be North Dakota... No nickname, and everybody will still wear their Sioux gear. If our vendors can come up with creative and inticing designs for NORTH DAKOTA merchandise I think we will be fine. Just because the name will go away doesn't mean the legacy of UND (with the interlocking ND) will go away. I think it is up to the people that create the merchandise to capitalize on this new opportunity. But again I think Scheels should embrace this transition and fully market UND's new identity, because if we don't then we have given up on the fans, and those fans are what make our company successful.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You must be on crack to believe the garbage you just posted.

On crack, I don't think so . . . . I think the count is 7 (or 8) NCAA DI tournament bids in first 3 years of DI competition by ndsu team sports (just team sports), with numerious other appearances in the non-team sports like track and wresting. The only team sports that have not made ncaa appearances are baseball and wbb. That is a heck of a start to DI and I think that's what Wyo is referring to. No, he not on crack when you look at this success. ndsu and its fans clearly embrace DI, and not just in one sport. Wyo is just pointing out where the bar has been set.

Nice perspective and points. Thanks.