SiouxSports.com Forum

Mayville @ UND

sioux2013

The men finally return home to host Mayville tonight. This should not be a repeat from last year. This game does nothing for the Sioux and wish they would take non D1 opponents off the schedule. Hopefully Clausen is healthier tonight and can play more minutes and Wilmer brings the game he played agains the Bison and continues to improve. Will be there to support the Sioux. Go Sioux

The men finally return home to host Mayville tonight. This should not be a repeat from last year. This game does nothing for the Sioux and wish they would take non D1 opponents off the schedule. Hopefully Clausen is healthier tonight and can play more minutes and Wilmer brings the game he played agains the Bison and continues to improve. Will be there to support the Sioux. Go Sioux

2013 - Are you a student? If so, what do you think we can do to get more student interest in and attendance at BB games?

I expect this could be a tight game. Mayville gave a pretty good Northern State team all they could handle, and likely will be a better 3-point shooting team than what UND has shown thus far. If there's one thing I've learned about UND men's basketball in the past decade, it's that there aren't many gimme wins against DAC teams, whether we're dII or dI. :(

I disagree. The Sioux lost this game last year. They need to play it to find out where they are compared to last year. It may also help to get these young guys some confidence.

When the Sioux enter the Big Sky, this may be a game to drop.

GO SIOUX!!!

the main question for me is can we score more than 50 points in a game.

How about 70? 80?

Watching this offense under Jones is like watching paint dry.

It's as boring as hell. I am the only one that is sick and tired of this crap?

How long to we give this clown?

Have you watched this years offense? If you were referring to last several years of the Princeton, I would give you that. The fact is with our new offense we are getting up a ton of shots, we are playing faster. We've already had more fast break points this season than we've probably had in the last 3 years combined. The fact is, right now we are not making any shots. Thats why were not scoring in the 70's or 80's. Your criticism of the offense would carry more weight if you perhaps have watched a game this year to know that we jack up the ball quite a bit more now that we don't play the Princeton. Even if your criticism stated "could we make a shot ever?" that would have applied bettter to this years team. Maybe the guys we thought were good shooters, really are not? or maybe they are just shooting poorly right now. But this years offense is not what is relegating us to scores in the 50's or low 60's.

Honestly, I don't like losing, and I'm not particularily happy where we are at, but what I don't like more is people whose criticism is so off base, it defies reason.

2013 - Are you a student? If so, what do you think we can do to get more student interest in and attendance at BB games?

Dont know why the students are not more involved. Its really sad when the price of admission is free and they do not support. Its not like there is alot going on in this town to not atttend some of the games. I believe the last home game was better than I have seen for awhile. Maybe it will improve the remainder of this year.

the main question for me is can we score more than 50 points in a game.

How about 70? 80?

Watching this offense under Jones is like watching paint dry.

It's as boring as hell. I am the only one that is sick and tired of this crap?

How long to we give this clown?

Agree with green team. You obviously have not been to a single game this year. Princeton is GONE. Entire team is shooting horrible right now and once this comes around the scores should easily be in the 70's. I still believe alot of this has to do with 6 of 9 games being on the road and a really good schedule against quality teams so far.

Regardless of which offense we are running, the question remains - how long do we stay the course. I have not seen any significant improvement in this program since Jones took over. In order to get the students and fans back we need to start winning. I remember a time when there was significant energy and entheusiasm about men's basketball. Not any more. Now that we have a conference, Faison has some serious decisions to make. Can we make the move to full DI membership with a football team that draws 5-6000 with 30 students, a men's basketball program that only older hardcore Sioux fans care to watch and a women's team that is losing its competativeness? The Bison success only makes this more irritating. Is it time to insist on competativeness from all of our programs? How long should the grace period be. If he waits too long to pull the trigger in Football, it will end up like Basketball - a forgotten program. Time for some serious reassessment.

Regardless of which offense we are running, the question remains - how long do we stay the course. I have not seen any significant improvement in this program since Jones took over. In order to get the students and fans back we need to start winning. I remember a time when there was significant energy and entheusiasm about men's basketball. Not any more. Now that we have a conference, Faison has some serious decisions to make. Can we make the move to full DI membership with a football team that draws 5-6000 with 30 students, a men's basketball program that only older hardcore Sioux fans care to watch and a women's team that is losing its competativeness? The Bison success only makes this more irritating. Is it time to insist on competativeness from all of our programs? How long should the grace period be. If he waits too long to pull the trigger in Football, it will end up like Basketball - a forgotten program. Time for some serious reassessment.

You pose some very good questions. I too have had many of the same ones rattling around in my head. I'm not sure I have decided on my answers yet. The Bison success and our struggles does leave a sour taste, but the time of our transition was different, which has led to different situations. I can see passion in your thoughts, and thats important, because if we don't ask some of these tough questions, it's possible that more and more people will lose their passion, and once that happens it will be difficult to reaquire. Above in the previous post I was responding to what appeared to me to be a lack of of knowledge when it came to the criticism of the offense. Criticize the offense all you want (it certainly is warranted in some places) but know what your criticizing, and in that instance I don't think the poster did.

Seriously what did you expect in only the second year of a full D1 schedule when all the coaches could offer was a scholarship. No conference, No NCAA bid , no tournament bids of any kind. The men and womens basketball teams have alot of upside with the freshmen and red shirt freshmen and the sophomores to build on. It took several years for this to happen and now its time to wait a few more years to see where it goes. So many of you want to fire the coaches, get rid of the current players and start ALL OVER again. You want improvement, well we have improved since last year alot in my opinion with younger players. Last year with a full D1 schedule we won 8 games and the rpi was 340+ with seniors leading us. This year we will win more than 8 games ( guessing 12+) and currently have an rpi of 304 with freshman 4 of the top 5 scorers. This shows improvement with alot of years for more improvement. If you didnt notice the Bison took control in the second half with 5th year seniors. Thats what UND is building towards. In two years we will have 5 fifth year seniors and 2 fourth year juniors and 3 juniors with three years of experience along with any other recruits that may make an impact. So, yes the program may not be winning as much as we all like right now but it looks better in the future and the administration ,unlike alot of you our fans can see this and understand what it takes. Look around at other attendence figures for established D1 schools and you will see we do better than most.

• Upvote 1

I disagree. The Sioux lost this game last year. They need to play it to find out where they are compared to last year. It may also help to get these young guys some confidence.

When the Sioux enter the Big Sky, this may be a game to drop.

GO SIOUX!!!

I understand where you are going with your post but this also illustrates how far the program has dropped in the last 10-15 years. To say that we are using Mayville State as a bench mark as to where our program's at, is to me, unfathomable. I look at both our Men's basketball team and football team and can't help but shake my head. I do see a bit of hope with the young freshman class that Jones has brought in, but we better see improvement from the beginning of this year to where we end the season or I would hope we would begin looking for a new coach. Most of us agree the freshman have talent and are just struggling with the team concept. This is where coaching comes in...time for Jones to show his mettle...

I haven't checked this and I was wondering if any player on the Sioux's roster averaged more than 15 points a game in high school. I see alot of recruits listed as shooting guard averaging 8 points a game in high school. So that's what UND's current roster is no real big scorers in the bunch. 7 guys averaging 8 points a game 56 points that's where the program is at this point.

I keep wondering about Coach Jones coaching or should I say recruiting philosophy. He probably felt he could not recruit the kind of player he was use to at Iowa. He recruited alot of guys who were athletic enough to play D at the D1 level but there offensive skils were maybe at a D2 level. One would assume he tries to get some kids who average 18-25 points a game in high school and just hasn't been sucessful. This would be an ideal time for some kid with great offensive skills to come here and have a great career.

When I read comments about how young the players are and when they are 3 and 4th players they will all of a sudden become much better offensive players. Yes get better but most players are what they are when enter college. Most good scorers are good scorers when they are freshman. It seems like big men who play close to the basket have the best chance to really improve.

I haven't checked this and I was wondering if any player on the Sioux's roster averaged more than 15 points a game in high school. I see alot of recruits listed as shooting guard averaging 8 points a game in high school. So that's what UND's current roster is no real big scorers in the bunch. 7 guys averaging 8 points a game 56 points that's where the program is at this point.

I keep wondering about Coach Jones coaching or should I say recruiting philosophy. He probably felt he could not recruit the kind of player he was use to at Iowa. He recruited alot of guys who were athletic enough to play D at the D1 level but there offensive skils were maybe at a D2 level. One would assume he tries to get some kids who average 18-25 points a game in high school and just hasn't been sucessful. This would be an ideal time for some kid with great offensive skills to come here and have a great career.

When I read comments about how young the players are and when they are 3 and 4th players they will all of a sudden become much better offensive players. Yes get better but most players are what they are when enter college. Most good scorers are good scorers when they are freshman. It seems like big men who play close to the basket have the best chance to really improve.

Most all the sophs and freshmen averaged more than 15/pts per game in High School. Haugen scored over 2200 career pts in 150 games, Schuler scored over 1700 career points in 98 games and Brekke scored over 1300 points are the most that I saw. Read an article on Huff during his final year and at that point he was averaging around 25/game. Brekke averaged 20+., Schuler averaged over 19/game sophomore thru senior year, Goodman was just under 15/game. Bios are not up for Anderson and Webb for some reason. Archer, Allard,Schuler,Haugen were all 1st team all state at least their senior years with Schuler being co-player of the year in Ohio his senior year.. They obviously all know how to score, its just a matter of them getting comfortable with each other and making the shots. I'd say Jones and company did a great job of getting these guys to UND for what they had to offer but its up to these guys to also improve and get stronger mentally and physically.

As far as MaSU goes, they will try to play a very quick, uptempo style of basketball. If they can play that style while keeping under control, they will definately give UND a run for their money. Our low guys should definately have a good game against the Comets but if Ross Aman and Wiley Jiles have good games for MaSU they could give them a bit of trouble down low.

Most all the sophs and freshmen averaged more than 15/pts per game in High School. Haugen scored over 2200 career pts in 150 games, Schuler scored over 1700 career points in 98 games and Brekke scored over 1300 points are the most that I saw. Read an article on Huff during his final year and at that point he was averaging around 25/game. Brekke averaged 20+., Schuler averaged over 19/game sophomore thru senior year, Goodman was just under 15/game. Bios are not up for Anderson and Webb for some reason. Archer, Allard,Schuler,Haugen were all 1st team all state at least their senior years with Schuler being co-player of the year in Ohio his senior year.. They obviously all know how to score, its just a matter of them getting comfortable with each other and making the shots. I'd say Jones and company did a great job of getting these guys to UND for what they had to offer but its up to these guys to also improve and get stronger mentally and physically.

Thanks for the info. We'd sure like to see some of this offense. Time will tell. .

Sioux win 74-57. I got to see parts of the game and saw some good things, but also saw some bad (turn-overs and missed layups). Wish I would have been able to see the whole thing. Wish I would have been able to see it live. :)

For those who are saying the Sioux aren't making progress from last year... The Sioux lost to Mayville by 12 last year and won by 17 this year. Progress.

Keep it going guys.

Go Sioux!!

Sioux win 74-57. I got to see parts of the game and saw some good things, but also saw some bad (turn-overs and missed layups). Wish I would have been able to see the whole thing. Wish I would have been able to see it live. :)

For those who are saying the Sioux aren't making progress from last year... The Sioux lost to Mayville by 12 last year and won by 17 this year. Progress.

Keep it going guys.

Go Sioux!!

So it's come down to measuring ourselves against Mayville State to see if we have made progress.

So it's come down to measuring ourselves against Mayville State to see if we have made progress.

You can measure progress against almost any opponent that you have played against before. Did your team play better than last time you played that team. Did you make fewer mistakes, more shots, get more rebounds, etc. The point is that you have something to measure against. It isn't whether UND is better than Mayville, the question is did UND play better against Mayville this time than they did last time. That's how you can measure improvement. It would be hard to measure improvement against Montana unless you played them last year or earlier this year.

You can measure progress against almost any opponent that you have played against before. Did your team play better than last time you played that team. Did you make fewer mistakes, more shots, get more rebounds, etc. The point is that you have something to measure against. It isn't whether UND is better than Mayville, the question is did UND play better against Mayville this time than they did last time. That's how you can measure improvement. It would be hard to measure improvement against Montana unless you played them last year or earlier this year.

That was the point of the comparison that I was attempting to make. I've read a lot of comments about the lack of progress in MBB. Sure it's just one game, but the Sioux played markedly better against Mayville this year than last. I'm not saying that Mayville is the gold standard to be met, just a point of measure along the way.