SiouxSports.com Forum

Attendance Woes

moser53

One of the reasons IMHO that Taylor wanted to delay the restart of the UND/NDSU series as long as possible, is that UND season ticket sales would get a major boost the years the Alerus hosts NDSU. Teammakers don't want UND football to thrive - but want it starved of funds. Season tickets sales are the lifeblood of attendance- and the only way one could assure getting NDSU-UND tickets is by buying season tickets. Now it's just cheaper and easier to buy tickets to homecoming and the Potato Bowl. A rivalry game is also what gets students enthusiastic and into the game.

One of the reasons IMHO that Taylor wanted to delay the restart of the UND/NDSU series as long as possible, is that UND season ticket sales would get a major boost the years the Alerus hosts NDSU. Teammakers don't want UND football to thrive - but want it starved of funds. Season tickets sales are the lifeblood of attendance- and the only way one could assure getting NDSU-UND tickets is by buying season tickets. Now it's just cheaper and easier to buy tickets to homecoming and the Potato Bowl. A rivalry game is also what gets students enthusiastic and into the game.

Wait til Montana comes to the Alerus. It will be a sellout. Its like getting a FBS team to come to Grand Forks. I hope it will be on FCS, as the country will be watching this one.

You could be right the 13,500 could be suites and standing room. But you don't generally include standing room in capacity. Plus that number if obviously vague and rounded nicely. :silly:

12,283 (notice its an exact number) is listed on fightingsioux.com and even this website. Much better sources. ;)

Its a little strange we even have to "wonder" what the real number is and what it includes how hard is it for them to come out and tell us.

The seating capacity has been explained several times. The 12,283 number is the number of seats in the grandstand part of the building. It is listed on fightingsioux.com because that is the number of seats available to sell for football games. Those are the numbers that UND has available to sell to season ticket holders or the general public. The 13,500 number includes the suites. The number is more of an estimate because the number of tickets available in the suites is somewhat flexible. The suites aren't included in the available seating because the basic number of tickets for the suites are presold as part of the suite package. But as I said, exact numbers in the suites is flexible. Also, suite holders are the only ones able to purchase additional tickets in the suites. All suite tickets have to go through the Alerus Center since they control the suites. Standing room is not counted in the capacity numbers. Attendance numbers include all tickets issued for the game.

Wait til Montana comes to the Alerus. It will be a sellout. Its like getting a FBS team to come to Grand Forks. I hope it will be on FCS, as the country will be watching this one.

I look forward watching Montana on a yearly basis, but lets not inflate the Montana ego any more than it already is. That said, UND has to carry some water before a UM-UND is a game with national interest any more than a usual BSC game.

As usual you're wrong again - Mr. Tayor has send out contracts to play UND but your AD has always had an excuse not to sign.

Really? $15 is absurd to you?

I thought Sioux Football was a steal!!

$15 to watch LaMar? That's absurd. $15 to play Sioux Falls, even more absurd.

I think my big thing is just that we aren't playing for anything. In sept. when the weather is still nice, I wanna play golf on Sat. That may change when we're playing Big Sky games but for now, it doesn't make me want to go.

I think my big thing is just that we aren't playing for anything. In sept. when the weather is still nice, I wanna play golf on Sat. That may change when we're playing Big Sky games but for now, it doesn't make me want to go.

That is the big thing right now. We were used to play every game for a chance at a national title, then it was so sweet winning it in 2001 you want another one then we went D1 and have to sit on the playoff sidelines for 4 years with still another long year to go we are so pumped, so anxious, for the 2012 schedule we just want to leap frog over 2011 and get into the BSC, and play for a national title.

Is Lakesbison now writing your material? :lol:

As usual you're wrong again - Mr. Tayor has send out contracts to play UND but your AD has always had an excuse not to sign.

As per normal, Danny boy, you are very slow on the uptake. I'll spell it out to you. :lol:

After hiding behind the Sioux nickname as an excuse not to schedule, Taylor throws out a contract that would have the Bison playing in the Alerus in 2015 and 2019 (Fargodome dates in 2013 and 2017). That coupled with hoping and believing UND would be in the Great West for the foreseeable fortune, Teammakers and Taylor really thought they had UND football over a financial and competitive barrel.

Now that NDSU is facing the possibility that SCSU is their travel partner in the Summit, while UND's home schedule and recruiting capabilities have significantly expanded, you can bet there has been second guessing of their past strategy.

Is Lakesbison now writing your material? :lol:

Bison nation must be getting extremely nervous.

Years ago said UND and UNC could very well be travel partners in the Big Sky. Bison fans ridiculed that. But guess what? It happened!!!

Now am saying NDSU will regret being in the Summit / MVFC and will want in the Big Sky so UND doesn't have recruiting advantages and growing statewide support.

Just laugh. :lol: We always knows who has the last laugh. ;)

i heard ndsu kills puppies and is the reason for 9/11 as well

Years ago said UND and UNC could very well be travel partners in the Big Sky. Bison fans ridiculed that. But guess what? It happened!!!

Now am saying NDSU will regret being in the Summit / MVFC and will want in the Big Sky so UND doesn't have recruiting advantages and growing statewide support.

prolly one of the funnier comments i have read all day. thanks for the laughter!

i heard ndsu loves sheep and had a 3-8 record last year as well. :lol:

When NDSU plays at UND, season ticket sales for that season go way up. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that, but somebody with a 6th grade education should be at least capable of grasping the concept. :silly: Corporations, companies, and fans buy many more season tickets just to ensure that they have the one-game tickets. Minnesota also experiences this when Iowa is scheduled to play at Minnesota. Kansas/Kansas St, Montana/Montana St, Colorado/Colorado St - demand not only goes up but the prices that are charged go up too. By denying UND the ability to have a major home game - until 2015 - it hurt UND football's finances. If NDSU scheduled UND in the Fargodome, are you actually stating that season tickets sales wouldn't go up for that season, and that season alone?

With UND now in the Big Sky, it isn't nearly as important for UND football to financially to have an NDSU game.

BTW, NDSU does not owe UND a game, nor does UND owe NDSU a game, like Bison fans were claiming in 2004. But economically, it makes sense for both to exchange olive branches and play.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Now that NDSU is facing the possibility that SCSU is their travel partner in the Summit, while UND's home schedule and recruiting capabilities have significantly expanded, you can bet there has been second guessing of their past strategy.

Which travel partner will be better, SCSU in the Summit with NDSU or U of Mary in the Big Sky with UND after the Big Sky again expands in a panic when U of Montana and Montana State announce they are leaving for an FBS conference?

Which travel partner will be better, SCSU in the Summit with NDSU or U of Mary in the Big Sky with UND after the Big Sky again expands in a panic when U of Montana and Montana State announce they are leaving for an FBS conference?

Now U of Mary is jumping to Division I and getting into a better conference than NDSU? That would cause a bit of a stir in the Southern Valley.

U Mary would probably have more stable finances. :lol:

Better have a new Depends on when Montana announces they are staying. :D

We all know you are waiting with twisted fingers for the Montanas to leave. When they do leave late this decade, we'll be going with them. :D;)

Apparently the kid from Kansas that just verballed to NDSU hadn't heard UND is in the Big Sky now and is King of the FCS.

You can think all you want that recruits in the traditional core recruiting areas for both NDSU and UND(ND, Minn, Wisc, Nebraska, Texas etc.) thing playing N. Ariz, E. Wash, Sac State, UC Davis, Idaho State, Portland St et al. is so much better than playing Illinois State, Youngstown State, UNI, SIU, et al. I don't buy it. I guess time will tell.

I'm not buying the statewide support thing either, but there are more people in Cass and Clay counties than in the whole western half of North Dakota.

U Mary would probably have more stable finances. :lol:

Better have a new Depends on when Montana announces they are staying. :D

We all know you are waiting with twisted fingers for the Montanas to leave. When they do leave late this decade, we'll be going with them. :D;)

I don't care if the Montanas leave or not, kind of want to hear the excuses when the Alerus is half full with a wonderful Big Sky schedule. Cal Davis, SUU and Cal Poly draw 6,000 now, not sure why that will change with a 3-8 team in the BIg Sky. You will possibly have one draw a year, and that will be the Montana school that comes in every year. No one else in that conference will excite the average fan.

I don't care if the Montanas leave or not, kind of want to hear the excuses when the Alerus is half full with a wonderful Big Sky schedule. Cal Davis, SUU and Cal Poly draw 6,000 now, not sure why that will change with a 3-8 team in the BIg Sky. You will possibly have one draw a year, and that will be the Montana school that comes in every year. No one else in that conference will excite the average fan.

Playing in a real conference, with something to play for, will attract fans. If NDSU can get people to show up for a conference game against Indiana State or Western Illinois, why can't UND get fans to show up for Big Sky schools?

Are you living in the Candyland?

Watching the Sioux (or any Division I team) play anybody, even themselves, is well worth more than $15!!! ;):lol:

Do I always have to be the Voice of Reason? Guess how much it will cost you to watch Sioux Falls every game??? $10!!! God could you imagine if Sioux Falls charged an extra $5 a ticket you would really be upset!! :lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Playing in a real conference, with something to play for, will attract fans. If NDSU can get people to show up for a conference game against Indiana State or Western Illinois, why can't UND get fans to show up for Big Sky schools?

Exactly. Almost 11,000 fans showed up in 2008 against Texas A&M-Kingsville, in our first year in D1 now tack on Montana, a conference title, and a bid in the playoffs and you will have a lot of people in the Alerus, not empty blue seats in the Fargodome come playoff time like it has been every year since they built the dome.

When the football team starts winning the fans will come. Everyone loves a winner. Since hockey is the dominate sport (by far) it's easy to figure out what the other sports have to do to get fans in the stands. WIN

When NDSU plays at UND, season ticket sales for that season go way up. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that, but somebody with a 6th grade education should be at least capable of grasping the concept. :silly: Corporations, companies, and fans buy many more season tickets just to ensure that they have the one-game tickets. Minnesota also experiences this when Iowa is scheduled to play at Minnesota. Kansas/Kansas St, Montana/Montana St, Colorado/Colorado St - demand not only goes up but the prices that are charged go up too. By denying UND the ability to have a major home game - until 2015 - it hurt UND football's finances. If NDSU scheduled UND in the Fargodome, are you actually stating that season tickets sales wouldn't go up for that season, and that season alone?

With UND now in the Big Sky, it isn't nearly as important for UND football to financially to have an NDSU game.

BTW, NDSU does not owe UND a game, nor does UND owe NDSU a game, like Bison fans were claiming in 2004. But economically, it makes sense for both to exchange olive branches and play.

Where was und and you during our transition???? Funny how it's different when the shoe is on the other foot. The big difference is during our transition we gave the fans something to hang their hats on. Wins over MN, Central MI, Ball State helped a lot plus it makes recruiting easier. UND has to play and win a big game. Maybe this weekend, as you have a wounded Giz to play.