SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs BULLDOGS - Saturday

AZSIOUX

I'm not gonna lie, I fell asleep watching halfway through the third period and woke up after the game to find out they lost. Doesn't sound like I missed anything.

I thought last night was a good game. It was exciting.

UMD is a solid, not great team. Their stats are misleading, as they they haven't exactly been playing the top tier teams prior to this weekend.

Their first line is good, but it isn't th eDOT line or Money line.

UND did not come out to play tonight and didn't deserve to win. I thought we were going to steal a game (for once) when UMD took it to us for the first 20 and we went into the locker room with a lead.

The best was the exchange between Scanlon and Sweeney on the Blood interference penalty.

Scanlon "That's too bad pat, I hate to say it, but they're almost taking checking out of the game."

Sweeney "Like women's hockey then."

We fans should really do something, like make a statement at the Final FIve...maybe all stand up at the same time and turn our backs to the rink for a minute in a show of frustration.

You can say that about just every team. Duluth has five players with as many or more points than our leading scorer, so I hardly think they are a one line team. They also have a number of great defensemen. Just because we don't see them every night, doesn't mean they aren't good players. I'm sure other teams don't think of Lamoureux, Rowney, Cichy, Bruneteau, Davidson, as good players because their numbers aren't such that you would think they are big threats. So far this year if you look past the top three of each team, Duluth has better production-- pointwise.

I think that is the case right now. However Duluth is notorious for mailing it in at the end of the season. So I understand Duluth fans feel they have a awesome team but let's see how they along with the Sioux play out this year. My bet is the Sioux end up farther down the road to a NC then the dogs. I don't think the Sioux have fully come together and we saw a real good performance on Friday but we need a full 120 minutes a weekend. The will get there and guys will start burying chances and go gang busters. I also like the goaltender rotation we are doing as this can only help down the road short and long term. Overall it was a good weekend but we need a sweep here soon. Not sure we will get it in Wisconsin but I am going for at least a split. Boys need to start burying chances and once they get hot it should be fun.

Before anyone declares UMD worldbeaters, they should remember that the Dogs have already gone to OT 5 times this season. They have won 3 of those games and lost 0. They easily could've lost all 5 or more realistically gone 1-1-3 instead of 3-0-2

Before anyone declares UMD's topline the greatest ever, they should remember that the dogs have scored 24 of their goals in 4 games against Providence(2), LSSU, and UAA...not exactly the perrenial powers. The only one of those teams we played (UAA) we hung 5 on.

They have a nice team, but listening to the postgame too, they are acting like the behind the back pass on a 2-1 with a trailer is the greatest thing ever...please...you should be able to execute a 2-1 with no pressure and the one dman stuck out of position. The powerplay goal on Friday night took better skill, precision, and execution.

Back to the penalties...what is with this league? I don't blame officials for losses, but the interference call on Blood?? Was it borderline? Maybe based on reach to the puck, but you can play the body as you approach the puck, and Blood is a long guy. The non-call on Malone was blatent. Video shows the guy wrapping him up and pulling his jersey. The Lammy CFB...I dunno, again maybe...it wasn't like he crushed the guy. I don't know how you're supposed to play physical anymore. I just don't understand why they are pulling the contact out of the game. Makes me more sad than anything else.

I don't follow hockey and I have a stupid question.......is a loss in OT the same as a loss in regular time or does it count differently? At the end of OT is there a shootout in College Hockey and if you loose in a shootout how does that count against you in either the NHL or college?

A loss in OT is the same as in regulation in college hockey.

I like the NHL system, but doubt we'll see it any time soon.

Back to the penalties...what is with this league? I don't blame officials for losses, but the interference call on Blood?? Was it borderline? Maybe based on reach to the puck, but you can play the body as you approach the puck, and Blood is a long guy. The non-call on Malone was blatent. Video shows the guy wrapping him up and pulling his jersey. The Lammy CFB...I dunno, again maybe...it wasn't like he crushed the guy. I don't know how you're supposed to play physical anymore. I just don't understand why they are pulling the contact out of the game. Makes me more sad than anything else.

The call on Blood was bushleague, a horrible call. I told my buddy when Mario hit who ever he hit from behind that he is going to get a 5 and a game.

The refs missed calls up and down the ice. The non call on Gregoire as he broke in on the UMD goalie should have been a penalty. The guys in stripes had a bad weekend on both ends of the ice. And I agree the NCAA is going to take hitting out of the game.

The call on Blood was bushleague, a horrible call. I told my buddy when Mario hit who ever he hit from behind that he is going to get a 5 and a game.

The refs missed calls up and down the ice. The non call on Gregoire as he broke in on the UMD goalie should have been a penalty. The guys in stripes had a bad weekend on both ends of the ice. And I agree the NCAA is going to take hitting out of the game.

How do you take a man off the puck or win a loose puck battle if you can't hit??? I really don't understand...

The refs missed calls everywhere, then tried to do makeup calls. There was no consistency, and that is how guys get hurt.

Sioux have to adapt and stay out of the box. We are a great team when we can roll four lines. We are not going to win #8 if we are battiling ourselves, the refs, and our opponent.

How do you take a man off the puck or win a loose puck battle if you can't hit??? I really don't understand...

The refs missed calls everywhere, then tried to do makeup calls. There was no consistency, and that is how guys get hurt.

Sioux have to adapt and stay out of the box. We are a great team when we can roll four lines. We are not going to win #8 if we are battling ourselves, the refs, and our opponent.

Sioux have to adapt and stay out of the box. We are a great team when we can roll four lines. We are not going to win #8 if we are battiling ourselves, the refs, and our opponent.

That hit happened right in front of us, there is no way that was a penalty. I guess the NCAA wants to see a finese game with no hitting.

If I'm not mistaken, Faulk also made a save himself, preventing the Sioux from taking the lead late in the third. Does anyone have video of that? I think that in the scrum the SIoux player got the shot away and Faulk got down and saved the goal.

A little more on Faulk for our friend in Afghanistan, and I want to see how close we were to putting that in.

As for the "finesse" game, the finesse looks prettier when players check. That was what was awesome about Oshie, one on one he could dangle or he could destroy.

I do think the boys need a skating lesson...Frattin, Marto and Genoway can skate very well, and Gregoire did vs DU...the dcorps especially needs to work on the poise and control. The best way to keep poised is to outskate your opponent.

If you are talking the interference call then I will disagree with you.The player did not have the puck as it was still 5 feet away before he would of got to it.I had no problem with the call as they showed the replay on tv more than once.

Before anyone declares UMD worldbeaters, they should remember that the Dogs have already gone to OT 5 times this season. They have won 3 of those games and lost 0. They easily could've lost all 5 or more realistically gone 1-1-3 instead of 3-0-2

Before anyone declares UMD's topline the greatest ever, they should remember that the dogs have scored 24 of their goals in 4 games against Providence(2), LSSU, and UAA...not exactly the perrenial powers. The only one of those teams we played (UAA) we hung 5 on.

They have a nice team, but listening to the postgame too, they are acting like the behind the back pass on a 2-1 with a trailer is the greatest thing ever...please...you should be able to execute a 2-1 with no pressure and the one dman stuck out of position. The powerplay goal on Friday night took better skill, precision, and execution.

I think you make some good points. I would like to make two points. 1) UMD has played the schedule they were given, I don't think they should have to ask forgiveness because they have played weak teams. Also, UAA has a huge team, 12 of 18 guys over 6 ft (if I remember correctly...that is a team that is made for the small ice of the DECC. They have given UMD fits over the years, so to compare the Sioux's game against UAA on an big sheet to UMD's on the DECC is apples to oranges in my opinion. 2) The way I saw it, the pass on the two on one was great, because the Sioux D had cut off the cross pass and the path to the net.if Connally had stopped and looked for Fontainer, he gets flattened,if he goes to the net he gets flattened, I think the only way they score on that play is that pass.

I find all the "UMD isn't that good" talk on here a little bit strange, way would you say a team only has one line when you just lost to that team? If the have only one line, shut it down...seems simple

Frankly some of you guys sound like Gopher fans....we got beat by the refs, we had injuries, the other team isn't that good, they are too old, they are too young, they have too many guys with blond hair, too many guys with tatoos, the movie on the bus was bad, we ate at Taco Johns...

I think the Sioux will be just fine and in I think they are still the team to beat, I hope tonight was a preview of a WCHA championship.

If you are talking the interference call then I will disagree with you.The player did not have the puck as it was still 5 feet away before he would of got to it.I had no problem with the call as they showed the replay on tv more than once.

You can play the body on a loose puck. Two opposing players chasing the same loose puck can play the body rather than the puck. There is a gray area as to when it becomes interference based on difference/time until the puck could/will be played. 5 feet is a stride away, that to me is physical hockey and not interference.

I think you make some good points. I would like to make two points. 1) UMD has played the schedule they were given, I don't think they should have to ask forgiveness because they have played weak teams. Also, UAA has a huge team, 12 of 18 guys over 6 ft (if I remember correctly...that is a team that is made for the small ice of the DECC. They have given UMD fits over the years, so to compare the Sioux's game against UAA on an big sheet to UMD's on the DECC is apples to oranges in my opinion. 2) The way I saw it, the pass on the two on one was great, because the Sioux D had cut off the cross pass and the path to the net.if Connally had stopped and looked for Fontainer, he gets flattened,if he goes to the net he gets flattened, I think the only way they score on that play is that pass.

I find all the "UMD isn't that good" talk on here a little bit strange, way would you say a team only has one line when you just lost to that team? If the have only one line, shut it down...seems simple

Frankly some of you guys sound like Gopher fans....we got beat by the refs, we had injuries, the other team isn't that good, they are too old, they are too young, they have too many guys with blond hair, too many guys with tatoos, the movie on the bus was bad, we ate at Taco Johns...

I think the Sioux will be just fine and in I think they are still the team to beat, I hope tonight was a preview of a WCHA championship.

Agree that it is apples and oranges, as it is any given night. I would contend that it is harder to fly up to Alaska and play vs have them come to town, so either way...

I've referred to UMD as having a nice team, so I hope my comments are being construed as the ones you are describing. I think that they are good, but not great. They've won a lot of close games. I think that giving them credit as a team that can contend for the Mac Cup is fair, calling them the best team in the WCHA...kinda a stretch right now. It's too early to hang that moniker on anyone yet IMO.

So, I'm with you on most of this...I'm curious to see Sconny this weekend...their style and the Kohl center doesn't bode well for us in general.

The other team I am curious to see in Omaha.

Alright look from it at this angle, UND totally out played them on Friday Night, and it was a close game on Saturday with UND coming close to winning it in the final minutes of the game prior to the OT. That game could have gone either way. Bulldogs come into this series ranked number two in the nation, if that is the number two team in the nation, then UND should be ranked three or at least equal to the Dogs.

I agree. Been watching Sioux hockey since I was a kid in the 1950's in GF. I am a Sioux diehard, but it really irritates me when the fans don't give credit where credit is due. Sandelin has put together a very good team. I wish the Sioux had some of their younger players. UMD played very well Saturday night and will be in the top 3 in the league barring injuries etc. The Sioux should worry about their own performance i.e. the lack of scoring goals year in and year out and their consistently poor passing. It is way too early in the season to make any generalizations about teams. Let's get off the refs and focus on hockey skillsets and maybe that elusive 8th banner will be ours.

• Downvote 1

Agree that it is apples and oranges, as it is any given night. I would contend that it is harder to fly up to Alaska and play vs have them come to town, so either way...

I've referred to UMD as having a nice team, so I hope my comments are being construed as the ones you are describing. I think that they are good, but not great. They've won a lot of close games. I think that giving them credit as a team that can contend for the Mac Cup is fair, calling them the best team in the WCHA...kinda a stretch right now. It's too early to hang that moniker on anyone yet IMO.

So, I'm with you on most of this...I'm curious to see Sconny this weekend...their style and the Kohl center doesn't bode well for us in general.

The other team I am curious to see in Omaha.

Good point on traveling to Alaska.

You did not make the comments I was talking about,

I am not ready to claim UMD as great either, but I have watched every one of their games and the Saturday team is the one I have seen this year. I don't even think about being the best in the WCHA right now, to early and to many games to play. I am still not sold on their goaltending, but I think they have the defense and forwards to do some damage this year. Time will tell.

Wisconsin is better than I expected them to be, impressive considering how many players they lost. Omaha looks to be very good as well.

Hopefully the Sioux Badger game will be on Directv, I will watch that on TV and UMD vs Tech on B2 Network.

You can play the body on a loose puck. Two opposing players chasing the same loose puck can play the body rather than the puck. There is a gray area as to when it becomes interference based on difference/time until the puck could/will be played. 5 feet is a stride away, that to me is physical hockey and not interference.

I agree but they call it different nowadays.Now the interference on Gregoire friday nite was a joke. The player had just got the puck there.