SiouxSports.com Forum

In Memory of the Big 12 Conference ?

star2city

I love all of this chaos...........and it is going to trigger a trickle-down effect all the way to the mid-major and low-major ranks, just like many have been predicting for several years. The irony is that it is starting in the west rather than the east (as in Big East) as most have thought.

I'm a little bummed though, because of all the high-major conferences, I've always followed the Big 12 the closest for whatever reason..........but this is what the old Big 8 gets for bowing down to Texas in order to get them to join so many years ago.

However, isn't this somewhat of a repetitive pattern? Seems like this is all a similar scenario to how the Mountain West was formed, when the WAC was expanding and expanding. Difference is that the WAC members of 15 years ago weren't getting $20 Million dollar checks annually from a TV channel to air their golf tournaments.................

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

star2city why do you say that Mizzou screwed themselves? Aren't they waiting for an invite or assurance from Big 10?

If Big 12 only loses the one team I wonder if they don't just add TCU. Though the threat of Pac 10 jumping to 12 and taking Colorado is still issue.

If the Pac 10 jumps to 16 I think it almost forces the other conferences to get squeamish and start adding. If the Big Ten waits at 12 they may miss out on raiding the Big East.

I see Big 10 going to 14. Keeping 2 spots alive for the girl they've been chasing forever.

The coach said it's possible the Pac-16 would push for two automatic bids to the BCS, one for each division champion. That potential bonanza could open the possibility of the two division champs from one league playing for the national title, and it would eliminate the need for a conference championship game.

"The Pac-10 doesn't believe in a championship game," the coach said. "And coaches in the Big 12 don't like it anyway."

This would spur a huge land-grab by the Big Ten, SEC, and some sort of an ACC-Big East coalition if it came down to the "Pac-16" getting two BCS bids.

... it's possible the Pac-16 would push for two automatic bids to the BCS, one for each division champion.

That says to me to expect four 16-team superconferences to come out of this where each division champion goes to a "BCS tournament".

Welcome to the "Year One" bracket:

Pac-10 West champ plays Big Ten East champ

Big Ten West champ plays SEC East champ

SEC West champ plays ACC East champ

ACC West champ plays Pac-10 East champ

That says to me to expect four 16-team superconferences to come out of this where each division champion goes to a "BCS tournament".

Welcome to the "Year One" bracket:

Pac-10 West champ plays Big Ten East champ

Big Ten West champ plays SEC East champ

SEC West champ plays ACC East champ

ACC West champ plays Pac-10 East champ

The MWC is going to be too powerful of a conference to be completely left out. They should get one bid, perhaps WAC or CUSA does too.

You're assuming the coming super-conferences stay in the NCAA and don't just go and form their own govering body.

Who is going to be the governing body? The BCS?

Seriously, while the idea sounds sexy for the big schools...I think the logistics that the NCAA takes care of for these schools for non-football sports is being underrated.

You might be right, but I think if four 16 team conferences do eventually form (and it may not be right away), they won't immediately leave the NCAA.

Seriously, while the idea sounds sexy for the big schools...I think the logistics that the NCAA takes care of for these schools for non-football sports is being underrated.

You might be right, but I think if four 16 team conferences do eventually form (and it may not be right away), they won't immediately leave the NCAA.

With the money that the 64 schools would make for football and basketball contracts I think that they could afford to hire a few administrators to run their non-revenue sports. They can take it out of the big pot of money they don't have to share with the other 290 schools that currently belong to D I in some form or another. It probably isn't going to happen real soon, but is a definite possibility at some point in the future.

I agree with MPLS, the NCAA does a lot of things for the non-football sports that people take for granted. If you split you would need to create it all from scratch and it wouldn't be cheap.

The NCAA also gives these presidents some cover so that they can say they are still remotely about academics. Meanwhile the NCAA will just sit back and let them do whatever they want with the football money and these conferences will cash in as soon as a BCS playoff if formed.

These schools knew they couldn't have just bowls forever and this is their way of getting a playoff done on their terms.

These schools still need the smaller schools for basketball, baseball, hockey and other sports. The backlash for killing the big dance would be massive, people that barely even care about college basketball love to fill out the bracket and cheer for the little guy. You take away the little guy and suddenly your product isn't worth much. A college version of the NBA won't sell.

A major college FB playoff has been estimated to be worth between $600 and 800 million annually. Imagine having to only split that 64 ways.

That makes the MBB tournament seem pretty pale in comparison.

This is not about BB. This is about football and money. Proof? Kansas is being left in the cold.

Saw the Buffs headin' for the west coast; See Nebraska headin' east,

And now some people think 'Twelve South is just Pac-10 EAST!

When the Twelve come tumbling down

When the Twelve come crumblin' tumblin'

When the Twelve come crumblin', tumblin' do-o-o-wn ...

Texas supposedly announces move to Pac 10 on Tuesday. OU, OSU, TTU will quickly follow once UT moves.

Missouri has "recommitted" itself in its marriage to the Big 12.

Texas A&M is flirting with the SEC. The SEC wants another Big 12 school: it might even take Baylor it that brings Texas A&M and it's TV market and Texas recruiting.

If Texas A&M goes to the SEC, Utah would likely bet chosen as the replacement for the Pac 10.

Kansas, Kansas St, Missouri, Iowa State etc are supposedly in negotiations to absorb Big East Football schools. A Big 12 could still exist, but it could include UConn, WVU, Louisville, Cinn, Pitt etc, but with some Big East schools headed for the Big 10 or ACC. Houston and TCU would also be in the new Big 12.

The Big East basketball schools would retain their conference name and expand - likely St Louis, Xavier, maybe Dayton, possibly Creighton.

The remaining Big 12 schools could obtain a huge $ amount from schools leaving: up to $15 million / school in exit fees + basketball credits.

The Big 10 is still targeting Notre Dame, + Rutgers, Maryland, + Syracuse or Virginia.

Reports are that the SEC wants Va Tech + UNC in the east. Will settle for NCSU.

As seems likely, if the Big East basketball schools are jettisoned from the football schools, the whole eastern and midwestern basketball league lineup will be affected.

The Summit League and Big Sky can now both expect membership changes.

Chip Brown on Orangebloods reporting:

http://twitter.com/ChipBrownOB/status/15948805885

..along with TT, OU, OSU. Texas A&M still flirting with the SEC. An A&M-Texas divorce would a "War of the Roses" scenario that would make UND-NDSU look like Sesame Street.

And no way the Big Ten stops at Nebraska. Sixteen for everybody, including the Mountain West when it's done.

And no way the Big Ten stops at Nebraska. Sixteen for everybody, including the Mountain West when it's done.

If the Big Ten gets Notre Dame and Rutgers I'm not sure they'd go any more. There's not enough fiscal return (unless it's Texas).