SiouxSports.com Forum

The Logo is Vanishing

GeauxSioux

Still need to have binding 30-year contracts with both tribes to satisfy the settlement with NCAA.

(I think I'm recalling the timeframe correctly.)

What are the odds of that?

Inncorrect!!! Just the approval is all that is needed to satisfy the NCAA settlement...the 30 year deal is what the SBoHE made up.

Still need to have binding 30-year contracts with both tribes to satisfy the settlement with NCAA.

(I think I'm recalling the timeframe correctly.)

What are the odds of that?

As long as both tribes vote to keep the nickname, that satisfies the settlement. The 30-year was something that the SBoHE came up with and are being dumb about it as the Spirit Lake used a word that essentially meant forever (Forgive me, I can't think of it right now). The SBoHE wouldn't accept that because they didn't have the words "30 years" in it

As long as both tribes vote to keep the nickname, that satisfies the settlement. The 30-year was something that the SBoHE came up with and are being dumb about it as the Spirit Lake used a word that essentially meant forever (Forgive me, I can't think of it right now). The SBoHE wouldn't accept that because they didn't have the words "30 years" in it

I think the word was perpetual.

They didn't like the way it was worded because any future tribal council could change their mind. After the next election they could vote against the name. A specified time period and a contract would be easier to enforce, although people with experience will tell you that enforcing contracts with tribes can be difficult at times. Some SBoHE members have stated that 30 years isn't a magic number and that they would consider something else. But they want something specific.

Inncorrect!!! Just the approval is all that is needed to satisfy the NCAA settlement...the 30 year deal is what the SBoHE made up.

While true that the NCAA only says get approval of both sovereign tribes, since the SBoHE has already voted to retire the logo, a vote alone at this stage of the game won't change anything. If the sovereign tribes were to agree to the 30 year stipulation, at that point the issue would be revisited.

I don't see Standing Rock being bullied into a long term commitment. I honestly think the issue has run it's course and need to focus on the future. Just a few thoughts.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

While true that the NCAA only says get approval of both sovereign tribes, since the SBoHE has already voted to retire the logo, a vote alone at this stage of the game won't change anything. If the sovereign tribes were to agree to the 30 year stipulation, at that point the issue would be revisited.

I don't see Standing Rock being bullied into a long term commitment. I honestly think the issue has run it's course and need to focus on the future. Just a few thoughts.

As previously posted...30 is just a number they could agree to 15 or 20 or like the SL says...forever.

That's easy to say for someone - such as yourself - that has long been anti-nickname. Spare us your feigned disinterest.
  • Upvote 1

Right...anyone who does not show unwavering, fanatic support for the nickname is automatically "anti-nickname".

If they're not your undying ally, they are your hated enemy.

:glare: Nice way to do business...

Run along Skippy we know where you stand, you're a troll here to cause problems.

• 5 months later...

Logo by logo, UND changes its brand

The agreement with the NCAA says the school can keep historical items related to the nickname and items embedded in the architecture. While college and community representatives continue to sort out what fits that definition, it's clear that a number of scholarships, clubs and events will need new identities.

It won't be simple. There's the Sioux Award, Spirit of Sioux Award, Fighting Sioux Club, Sioux Boosters, Sioux-Per-Swing, Sioux-Per-Burger, Fighting Sioux ROTC Battalion, Sioux Laundry, Sioux Fan Fest, Sioux Crew, Sioux Amateur Radio, Sioux Kids Club, Sioux Strong and Soaring Sioux.

The $100 million Ralph Engelstad Arena, a privately owned building where UND plays hockey, has thousands of Indian-head logos, including a 10-foot sketch of an Indian head embedded in the granite floor and brass medallions on the outside chairs of most rows.

Asked how many of the logos could be easily removed, arena manager Jody Hodgson said, "None."