SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Game

FSSD

How did the defense look?

It's a little hard to keep track of which group is out there at any given time. I think the starters will be good. The run defense struggled at times (particularly when Murray was in there), but I believe that was mostly when reserves were in. Of the young players, I was impressed with Goodman and Hall.

Anybody know why Watkins wasn't there?

Murray was outstanding today. I'm very optimistic about the running game next season. However, to the extent today was any indication, the passing game is a bit of a concern IMO.

Agreed, although I'm a little concerned with the (lack of) size a FB. It was nice to see Daggett, a big target at 6'4", show up a bit but neither the passing nor the receiving looked very promising today. Overall, I left asking myself "was Bamba's attitude really all that bad?" :(

Just got done watching the replay of the Spring Game..............

Holy Hell..........Murray is good, just like I remember. Welcome back.

Bennett, Goodman, and Finley all looked quite good on defense.

Either pass protection was rather suspect, or the pass rush was rather good.

I think the new kicker looks all right. He missed a bit of a shorty, but made a nice one of +40. Hopefully he develops like past Sioux kickers of this decade. It'll take time though.

Passing game is worrisome. Bubble screens all day, very few downfield attempts. Looks like RB Jarrell Davis will lead the team in receptions this season.

He will miss 2 games at the begining of the year.

Thanks. With Hawkins, Saporu and Watkins all sitting out the spring game, we certainly didn't have a lot of experience at corner, which may make the lack of much of a showing by the passing game last Saturday even more concerning.

For those who may be a little closer to the situation, assuming Bamba doesn't come back, how big of a concern are the receiver positions? I know that Townsend and Hardin were reportedly impressive this spring, but our lack of proven production at these positions is pretty alarming. This has been seemingly been an issue since Weston graduated, but at least in 2008 we returned Trenbeath, and last year we returned Bamba.

It's a little hard to keep track of which group is out there at any given time. I think the starters will be good. The run defense struggled at times (particularly when Murray was in there), but I believe that was mostly when reserves were in. Of the young players, I was impressed with Goodman and Hall.

Anybody know why Watkins wasn't there?

I also noticed that Dublanko didn't play much at all??

For those who may be a little closer to the situation, assuming Bamba doesn't come back, how big of a concern are the receiver positions? I know that Townsend and Hardin were reportedly impressive this spring, but our lack of proven production at these positions is pretty alarming. This has been seemingly been an issue since Weston graduated, but at least in 2008 we returned Trenbeath, and last year we returned Bamba.

I'm certainly not close to the situation, but IMO the biggest concern with the passing game has more to do with quarterback play rather than wide receiver play. As far as Landry is concerned, quality play by the offensive line could help alot to remedy that. Jake does great when he is comfortable in the pocket and has time, but struggles when when the pocket even just begins to collapse.

I'm certainly not close to the situation, but IMO the biggest concern with the passing game has more to do with quarterback play rather than wide receiver play. As far as Landry is concerned, quality play by the offensive line could help alot to remedy that. Jake does great when he is comfortable in the pocket and has time, but struggles when when the pocket even just begins to collapse.

I agree, the WR may need some work but the QB play was poor from what I could see on the video.

I agree, the WR may need some work but the QB play was poor from what I could see on the video.

While I do agree that Landry needs to be better than he was last year, he's far more proven than are our returning receivers. Plus, even if Landry struggles, we have a viable alternative in Goska.

When the leading returning receiver had 150 yards and a very low yards-per-catch average last year, you know you're practically starting from scratch in terms of a receiving corps. I hope I'm wrong, but I really feel like we're going to have to rely heavily on very young receivers if we're going to have any semblance of an explosive passing offense.

While I do agree that Landry needs to be better than he was last year, he's far more proven than are our returning receivers. Plus, even if Landry struggles, we have a viable alternative in Goska.

When the leading returning receiver had 150 yards and a very low yards-per-catch average last year, you know you're practically starting from scratch in terms of a receiving corps. I hope I'm wrong, but I really feel like we're going to have to rely heavily on very young receivers if we're going to have any semblance of an explosive passing offense.

I think your correct but my statement was related to what I saw on video which doesn't always give a good view of what is really going on because I can't see the entire picture of what is happening. It looked to me like a lot of the time the QB's were tracking one guy from the start of the play and tried to force the ball in to that specific player most of the time.

I think your correct but my statement was related to what I saw on video which doesn't always give a good view of what is really going on because I can't see the entire picture of what is happening. It looked to me like a lot of the time the QB's were tracking one guy from the start of the play and tried to force the ball in to that specific player most of the time.

if you watch last years film you will see th exact same thing...both qb's locking on to 1 wr and no matter what trying to force the ball in. Same thing happened in the spring game and i can think of one example that led to an INT.

The WR core is young, inexperienced and immature, but they will develop. The O-line will undoubtfully be young, but they will learn to protect their leader. The QB position has experience but needs to learn to take what the defense is giving them and not try and force feed the ball to a single WR. A punt isn't always the worst option.

Goska provides a solid backup, but landry provides the talent(and passing ability) to take us to the level we want to be at. I think both bring something unique to the table, and want to see them both help this team succeed.

I think our running game will sustain us while we try and establish our WR/OL/QB core. In my opinion it will be Townsend and bamba(if he's back(and i'm thinking he will be :D )). Anderson will provide some help but he hasn't lived up to the hype in the past 3 years and i doubt he will. Surprisingly I've heard really good things about Daggot this spring. I expect him to be a solid possession receiver this year(regardless of the bobble in the spring game)

I really hope Landry and Goska provide a solid 1 2 punch at the QB position that understands how to take what the defense is giving and take whatever points they give you whether it's 3 or 7.