SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Final 5 thoughts

AZSIOUX

It's not accurate, I was at the game and saw the handshake. Every player from both sides shook the opposing coaches hand without any incident.

And you watched Don Lucia specifically through the entire handshake line?

I've got it on word that it was even on one of the cameras and the decision was quickly made not to show it.

Also, I loved when during the preamble the FSN geniuses labeled it as a goalie battle and showed Kangas'goals allowed in the series, completely ignoring the fact that he was hooked in the third on friday.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW, if thats accurate then it just goes to show how thin-skinned this Gopher program has become. I could possibly see him not shaking hands with Frattin as upset as Lucia was but why Hextall? I know he's good at talking smack but geez. Pretty unprofessional on Dons part as well......if it indeed did happen.

Didn't see it but I wouldn't be surprised. Heard a first hand account of a similar incident where he wouldn't shake an 8 year old's hand because he didn't like his (Sioux) hat. That was shortly after their last NCAA championship...

Lucia is a classy guy, and I really hope he shook Hextall's hand, even in the heat of the moment. Unless I see otherwise I have to be of the opinion that tDon shook every guys hand.

As for the F5......ahh yes, for the first time in my many years attending the wonderful sporting event.....no gophs... :):)

I'm actually kind of upset they won't be there (OF COURSE GLAD THE SIOUX WON!). I was looking forward to a possible Sioux-Gopher play in game, and its always fun cheering for any team playing against the gophs. Its almost like every other team unites to cheer against the gophs. A great example was the year when UND won the final five the last time. The 8-7 OT game between the gophs and scsu was one of the greatest atmospheres I've seen. It was gopher fans against SCSU, UND, Wisconsin, Duluth, and yes, even those pesky Tech fans in attendance.

Predictions:

I'll say:

Thursday:

UND 5 Duluth 3

Friday:

Wisconsin 4 SCSU 2

Denver 4 UND 1

Saturday:

UND 4 SCSU 3

Denver 2 Wisconsin 0 (In an absolute sleeper....)

Predictions:

I'll say:

Thursday:

UND 5 Duluth 3

Friday:

Wisconsin 4 SCSU 2

Denver 4 UND 1

Saturday:

UND 4 SCSU 3

Denver 2 Wisconsin 0 (In an absolute sleeper....)

As far as wins/losses I think that's the most likely scenario. Let's wait to beat Dumbver in the NCAAs.

Any suggestions on where to look [for Final Five / Frozen Four tickets] other than craigslist?

SURE! Try the handy dandy SiouxSports.com Forum under the Tickets wanted / for sale topic (and avoid the psychotic babysitter killers in the Twin Cities -- Google it):

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?showforum=14

There are certain to be F5 tix on Gopher Puck Live! (soon to be sponsored by Cepis' agent as Gopher Puck Dive!, perhaps?), too:

http://www.gopherpucklive.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=e965e5fab89c27f6e7b747ec273cfb50

(once the Goofer faithless quit cryin' in their beer, eh?) The need for the color change? Bcuz he's C-Piss! Duh! Haven't seen a kid fall over that easily since the Johnny Pohl days (or Bonin?)...

GO, SIOUX! (How far? Should they lose one Thursday evening, injure none (in green, black and white, anyway), disqualify none and pack for the NCAA Tourney? Naw, that's GOPHER "Pride" on Ice!) :)

you were there, i was not. It's a pretty reliable source that i am citing, but i wasn't there.

Anyway, we've got to play 180 minutes this weekend, 9 periods.

then it's all about 240 minutes and 12 periods to hang #8...DU, WI, Miami...we've played them all. They are all good teams, but they are certainly beatable. BC i haven't seen, but would venture that they are very skilled and very good.

And you watched Don Lucia specifically through the entire handshake line?

I've got it on word that it was even on one of the cameras and the decision was quickly made not to show it.

Also, I loved when during the preamble the FSN geniuses labeled it as a goalie battle and showed Kangas'goals allowed in the series, completely ignoring the fact that he was hooked in the third on friday.

Your right I did not watch Lucia thru the entire handshake line but I did see him shake Frattin and Hextall's hand. I purposely watched Frattin go thru the line to see if anything was going to happen in regards to the hit he put on Wehrs. Hextall happened to be two or three players behind him in the line and they both shook the Gopher players hands and Coach Lucia's hand and his assistants.

There always Sioux fans at Alary's. It used to be local neighborhood bar when I lived

downtown St. Paul. Gotta love those hot pants!!!! Alary's is a good time!

Shuttle to and from the X available at Alary's as well. I believe it's still free.

Your right I did not watch Lucia thru the entire handshake line but I did see him shake Frattin and Hextall's hand. I purposely watched Frattin go thru the line to see if anything was going to happen in regards to the hit he put on Wehrs. Hextall happened to be two or three players behind him in the line and they both shook the Gopher players hands and Coach Lucia's hand and his assistants.

This is incorrect, I personally witnessed Lucia not shake Hextall's hand, from my seats, at the game.

Pretty sure that when i glanced at the handshake line I happened to notice that neither potluny or hill shook hextalls hand. Im not sure about lucia though.

This is incorrect, I personally witnessed Lucia not shake Hextall's hand, from my seats, at the game.

So let me get this right: Papa Lucia didn't shake Hexy's hand, and Baby Lucia hacked at a fan with his stick in the tunnel after the game eh?

CLASSY!

Anyone have a picture or video of this? AKA: Proof?

So let me get this right: Papa Lucia didn't shake Hexy's hand, and Baby Lucia hacked at a fan with his stick in the tunnel after the game eh?

CLASSY!

You got it, I can verify there was no handshake between Hextall and Lucia, and it was because Lucia refused to. It appeared he said something to Hextall and pulled his hand back. Unless someone has the game on DVR idk if you'll get proof, and that's assuming they showed either of these two instances on camera.

What's the big deal? I get it isn't classy, but what do you want from it? An apology? If it was true, highly doubt Hextall/Frattin are distraught today over it. It's all hearsay until video is posted.

I'm not asking for an apology... someone said they heard it happened and I simply stated I witnessed it. This is not hear say, and I could care less if you believe me. Me and my buddy both saw it happen. Lucia is a scumbag and is gonna get his ass canned. That on top of the Sioux beating them at the Ralph is all I need.

CLASSY!

Your right there was probably no video or proof of it so, I saw Lucia shake hands but somebody else said they didn't,

that's the way it is.

I think the issue is that it shows a lack of sporting respect. I'm sure tDon was disappointed and pi$$ed off about losing and about getting physically beaten up, but he needs to show good sportsmanship. If the coaches don't lead by example, the league could easily degenerate into thuggery.

It doesn't matter one way or another, and I know that Hak flipped the bird, etc. etc. But a coach should not disrespect a player, he needs to be bigger than that. Think about how much you despise him, but shake his hand and go to the locker room.

I also think it shows Hexy really, really got into their minds...I wonder what type of smack he talks to have officials think he is a lunatic and to have opposing coaches refuse to shake his hand.

I also think it shows Hexy really, really got into their minds...I wonder what type of smack he talks to have officials think he is a lunatic and to have opposing coaches refuse to shake his hand.

I don't know, but we should get him "Mic'ed Up" for Thursday's games, or any rival/postseason game for that matter. I'd LOVE to hear what he says!

I think the issue is that it shows a lack of sporting respect. I'm sure tDon was disappointed and pi$$ed off about losing and about getting physically beaten up, but he needs to show good sportsmanship. If the coaches don't lead by example, the league could easily degenerate into thuggery.

It doesn't matter one way or another, and I know that Hak flipped the bird, etc. etc. But a coach should not disrespect a player, he needs to be bigger than that. Think about how much you despise him, but shake his hand and go to the locker room.

[/quote

I agree with the sportsmanship thing talk about. Thats's the one thing that's great about sports, you kick the crap out of each other during the game but after the game you show respect for each other and shake their hands. If Lucia did indeed not shake Hextal's hand I would be the first person to say that is BS but I saw what I saw and he indeed shake his hand.