SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs the Gophers Saturday

The Whistler

The Gophers are facing elimination. They've got too much talent to go quietly.

Last night after we went up by two the power play opportunities were Minnesota 5, Sioux nothing. Don't expect anything different tonight.

This will be, at least until we get ahead, an hard fought game.

What should be the last home game with the chance to end another Gopher season.

Some time, Rock, when the team is up against it, when things are wrong and the breaks are beating the boys, ask them to go in there with all they've got and win just one for THETRIOUXPER.

Edit: The first of the five power play opportunities was when we scored our shorthanded to go up by 2.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Gophers are facing elimination. They've got too much talent to go quietly.

Last night after we went up by two the power play opportunities were Minnesota 5, Sioux nothing. Don't expect anything different tonight.

This will be, at least until we get ahead, an hard fought game.

What should be the last home game with the chance to end another Gopher season.

I agree.The rodents cannot play with any less heart than they did last nite.Worse performance from a rodent team that I have ever witnessed.As long as the Sioux win I hope the rodents at least keep it close and entertaining although I really don't mind a 6-0 smackdown either. :D

Saturday

Sioux men's hockey vs. Minnesota - 7:00 p.m.

Fox College Sports Central (FSSN broadcast)

Midcontinent Communications

Fighting Sioux Sports Network

DirecTV 617

Same lines for the Sioux tonight?

And where can the Gophers find 20 new guys to play tonight.

That photo is from last night? If so, then it wasn't Helgeson that was out so Schack could play. Not like it matters much...one pylon for another :):D

probably from the october series when this was taken. either or is fine :) from happy gilmore, red jacket, blue jacket...who gives a sh#% :) whomever is in of those 2 is going to get beat at least 3 times creating a nightmare for kangas

Well, this is it. I can't believe that the Gophers won't fight like the cornered rat wannabes that they are. In that case, the boys have to quickly disabuse them of any notion that they can skate with us tonight. Kick them in the ass so hard, they'll have to part their hair to fart.

does anyone remember the quotes from 2004 either before or after the 3rd place final 5 game by andy schneider about pulling on a sioux jersey and it was either a gopher player or coach about it being a meaningless game?

I've got half of what you're asking for right here.

How about a sign with : The countdown clock until the next Gopher season.

Or "Spring Breaks starts tonight for the Gophers"

Somebody make a sign like an old-time movie title card that says:

THE END

"Gopher Season"

A Don Lucia Production MMX

In my opinion, though, I didn't think the refs missed calling any penalties on the gophers last night for the most part. I thought they did a pretty good job. The fact that the gophers didn't commit any penalties was just more evidence that they just weren't trying all that hard.

I thought the Sioux got away with at least a couple non-calls. For instance they should have got Blood for holding the stick in his own zone at one point.

In my opinion, though, I didn't think the refs missed calling any penalties on the gophers last night for the most part. I thought they did a pretty good job. The fact that the gophers didn't commit any penalties was just more evidence that they just weren't trying all that hard.

I thought the Sioux got away with at least a couple non-calls. For instance they should have got Blood for holding the stick in his own zone at one point.

There was one instance of a Gopher blatantly holding a Sioux player's stick that I couldn't believe wasn't called. On the same shift MacWilliam was slashed before the puck was dropped and was deliberately speared in the back of the leg well after the whistle had blown.

I'll agree that the Gophers didn't make it that hard of a game to call.

I agree. When the refs actually call a straight game, sometimes you get lop-sided calls for one team. That doesn't necessarily mean the refs are out to get the other team. When a game is called perfectly even (same amount for each team) that's when the marble theory comes into play. Sometimes the refs probably feel "damned if you do/don't."

When the calls don't go your way, you can do one of two things to work against it:

1. Kill the penalties and keep working

2. Stop taking penalties :D

The Sioux were tenacious on the kill last night. It was beautiful hyper-aggressive pressure. Sometimes that can get a team into trouble, but not usually when the other team just stops skating.

There was one instance of a Gopher blatantly holding a Sioux player's stick that I couldn't believe wasn't called. On the same shift MacWilliam was slashed before the puck was dropped and was deliberately speared in the back of the leg well after the whistle had blown.

I'll agree that the Gophers didn't make it that hard of a game to call.

I should be a little careful. I watched it on TV and you probably watched it in person. That was my opinion, anyway.