SiouxSports.com Forum

Kalen DeBoer new Offensive Coordinator at SIU

star2city

Guess Dale seems some talent there.

DeBoer to SIU

"As tough as it is to leave here, I'm excited about the opportunity to work under Dale Lennon," said DeBoer. "This will give me an opportunity to continue to help build the program at SIU and continue the tradition they have started."

The Cougars will have an official press conference today at Noon CT. SIU went 11-2 last season under Dale Lennon who is the former head coach of North Dakota.

Wasn't there a rumor that Bohl was trying to get DeBoer on his staff? So DeBoer chooses Lennon instead?

Damn....u guys are fast.

Yup....only a matter of time, and I think Kalen really made the best decision possible..with Lennon fast-tracking to the next level likely. Was a fantastic run for USF people, but just like that..the USF football dynasty is over.. :glare:

Damn....u guys are fast.

Yup....only a matter of time, and I think Kalen really made the best decision possible..with Lennon fast-tracking to the next level likely. Was a fantastic run for USF people, but just like that..the USF football dynasty is over.. :glare:

Does that mean the Sioux might win the next time they play? :)

Kalen is now fast-tracking to be a head coach at SIU....if Lennon goes FBS (likely in short order)....so I think it's got a lot more to do with that, than with USF going D2. The USF team you guys saw this year (and last few years) would have done just fine in D2....just fine..

Kalen is now fast-tracking to be a head coach at SIU....if Lennon goes FBS (likely in short order)....so I think it's got a lot more to do with that, than with USF going D2. The USF team you guys saw this year (and last few years) would have done just fine in D2....just fine..

Trust me, nobody is debating how you would have done in D2. My point was that you may not have had a bunch of those kids on your team if you were D2. The NCAA actually has a clearinghouse, etc. that makes things a heck of lot harder when recruiting kids, roster limits, etc.

Trust me, nobody is debating how you would have done in D2. My point was that you may not have had a bunch of those kids on your team if you were D2. The NCAA actually has a clearinghouse, etc. that makes things a heck of lot harder when recruiting kids, roster limits, etc.

University of Mary is a perfect example.

Went from being a consistent top 8 team in NAIA every year to a low end D2 team a few years into their transition. I remember coach Lennon telling me he was able to offer more scholorships at Mary than at UND. Add that to the fact their is little to no academic entry requirments and no drug testing (this is a huge problem at NAIA. Anyone who has any knowledge of a NAIA program knows how huge steroids and other performance enhancers are). Its an adjustment when you go from very light rules and regulations to having big brother NCAA watching every move and showing up 2-4 times a year unexpectadly.

Regardless though you don't have the successes that USF had by luck and not being able to coach. I think DeBoer is an excellent, excellent coach who knew his time was now and saw a great opportunity to move up and coach with a young successful coaching staff who is looking to move up the ladder. If and when Coach Lennon does get the opportunity to move up and he wants DeBoer as an OC Kalen will make more money as an OC at a FBS than a head coach at a FCS. Its a win-win either way. Best of luck to Kalen.

Wasn't there a rumor that Bohl was trying to get DeBoer on his staff? So DeBoer chooses Lennon instead?

The rumor at NDSU was that they were talking to him for the DC job. Sounds like he didn't want anything to do with it. Then some info came out that he was wanting to be on the offensive side of the ball and wanted to call the plays and Bohl said no. That was the last time that he was mentioned.

The rumor at NDSU was that they were talking to him for the DC job. Sounds like he didn't want anything to do with it. Then some info came out that he was wanting to be on the offensive side of the ball and wanted to call the plays and Bohl said no. That was the last time that he was mentioned.

Considering he has never coached defense before, that would have been a pretty stupid move by Bohl.

Nope. DeBoer was going to NDSU to be Offensive Coordinator, and the USF DC was to come along to be Defensive Coordinator, with Bohl helping more on the defensive side of the ball.

http://bisonsports.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2639

http://bisonsports.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2678

Didn't read the bolded part of your post the first time. Links are to message board rumors. I have no idea about anything beyond that.

Edited by choyt3

..exactly..

Kalen is an offensive guy..Chuck Morrell (his former asst) was the defensive guru fella. NDSU wanted them..yes....all said, very smart move here for Kalen.

(I know all about the Mary situation, etc etc...USF was FAR BETTER than Mary, truth be told....)

....frankly, the second USF handled UND, I knew the time was short before Kalen would get gobbled up....that said, he's a friend and I'm happy for him....his replacement for a budding D2 program could come from the FCS ranks though....I would imagine Luke Meadows (OC at SDSU) might be at the top of the list....seeing as he applied at Northern State a few months ago....but I could be wrong..

Nope. DeBoer was going to NDSU to be Offensive Coordinator, and the USF DC was to come along to be Defensive Coordinator, with Bohl helping more on the defensive side of the ball.

That was the Lakes rumor. The first talk that I was a part of was that he was intially talked to about taking over the defense and he didn't want anything to do with it. Then the offensive talk started coming out. When both sides decided it wasn't going to work out the DC for Sioux Falls name was being tossed around for the DC job at NDSU. I'm not sure if Lakes was just speculating or had solid info. I guess there were alot of rumors out there and who knows what is factual. I do know for a fact that Bohl and Vigen said no to DeBoer calling the offensive plays.

I would also like to add that Lakes was reporting his "inside" info to BV that the Sioux Falls coaches were going to be announced as the newest additions to NDSU staff the week after USF won the NAIA championship. I believe he was saying a press conference was going to be held on 12/21/09. I am still waiting for that press conference.

I would also like to add that Lakes was reporting his "inside" info to BV that the Sioux Falls coaches were going to be announced as the newest additions to NDSU staff the week after USF won the NAIA championship. I believe he was saying a press conference was going to be held on 12/21/09. I am still waiting for that press conference.

Is it possible he was the victim of some sort of Abscam-esque ruse whereby unscrupulous UND fans, posing as DeBoer associates, fed him mis-information?

Is it possible he was the victim of some sort of Abscam-esque ruse whereby unscrupulous UND fans, posing as DeBoer associates, fed him mis-information?

I think when he hears information he twists it in his head into what he wants and thinks should happen and then reports it as if it is fact.

No comment.

Signed,

Kommissar of Skulduggery

Southern Red River Valley District

The Vast Fighting Sioux Conspiracy

" ... if you only knew ... "

The interest and story from NDSU was kinda legit....they had interest....but it wasn't a good fit (being an offensive coach, etc)

Here is a pretty complete link of the story..and the press conf..

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2010020...307/1002/sports

From what I have heard, the first DeBoer knew about interest from NDSU was when the Fargo Forum called him the week before their National Championship game...it was all rumor being driven by the Fargo Forum. Kalen thought they had the story mixed up and were really wondering about one of his assistants. Riggs had decided before last season he would coach one more year at USF and call it quits when Lorenzo Brown was done. Morrell decided to take a break to look into some individual business ventures. Bohl never contacted DeBoer

USF win over Sioux helped convince Lennon

But both DeBoer himself and his new boss, Dale Lennon, acknowledge that this year's 28-13 win over North Dakota, a 63-scholarship squad in Division I FCS, was a key factor in erasing whatever doubts existed that the 36-year-old Milbank native could make the jump from NAIA to Division I.

"I'd definitely say it reinforced to us that we had what it takes," DeBoer said. "I mean, we always kind of felt that way, but when we were watching the film of (North Dakota's) games, and you see them playing Texas Tech and Stephen F. Austin, and you realize, 'Hey, we can compete with these guys.' Then when we got it done, that definitely gives you even more confidence in what you're doing."

Lennon, of course, was the head coach for that same North Dakota team up until 2008. Before that, he spent two years as the head coach at Mary, a former USF foe in the NAIA level, so he was aware of DeBoer's program. The win over his former school certainly caused him to take another look.

"That caught my attention," said Lennon, who guided UND to the 2001 Division II national championship. "We were playing UNI later that day, so I was kind of watching the ticker, and I'm like, 'Holy smokes, they're really getting after them.' I think that gave a lot of credibility to what Kalen's been able to accomplish. I've coached at the NAIA level, so I know it's good football, but a lot of people doubt it. I think going up there and winning in UND, where very few teams have been able to win, really changed the perception."

• 1 month later...
I see where Gene Taylor got beat out by the USD Athletic Director for a job at Kent State. I guess he should have been pursuing jobs back when his iron was hot. The iron is a little cool now.

Yup, Kent State site confirms it. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,. Could not happen to a bigger joke than if it was the big shot at Idaho State who thinks he is so wonderful in cancelling trip to UND. Guess these guys aren't so wonderful afterall. Ha, ha, ha.