SiouxSports.com Forum

Final Five Restructure

01grad

I am all for keeping the five games because I can't get enough live hockey these days, but having two games Thursday and Friday make it tougher to get off of work and make the trip for most people. I think they should do the semifinal games Friday and Saturday with the Championship Sunday afternoon if they keep the five games. I like the idea of dropping the third place game because it always seems pretty uneventful anyway. I just hope the Sioux make it this year and Eidsness starts to take charge and control a game by making some big saves when we need them. It all starts with a strong goaltender as our backbone and we need him to step up as we know he can.

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,17895/WCHAExp...onExpected.html

I don't know if they can have the championship on Sunday because that's the day they announce the tournament selections. Although, it's pretty much been straight by the PWR, so it wouldn't be too complicated to figure out on short notice.

I think a Sunday Championship would NOT be as fun, nor as well attended as a Saturday title tilt.

im just surprised that they are cutting the third place game, strictly for monetary reasons. i realize that the final five has a nice ring to it, but noone can come up with a clever name for a six team tourney? wcha super six? there are endless possibilities if that is a sticking point. i realize the third place game has little meaning to those playing it, unless a win would help a bubble team get in and boost their pwr, but it is still a money maker for the wcha. i guess i don't get why they wouldn't have two games each day and try to increase the $$$$. also agree that moving the title game to sunday probably won't happen. either way, i won't miss the 3rd place game if they get rid of it, im just surpirsed their considering it.

I think a Sunday Championship would NOT be as fun, nor as well attended as a Saturday title tilt.

This is what I was already thinking too, but if people want to go to the entire tournament and are from out of town, it might be tough to attend the Thursday day game and that would probably be the "new" 3rd place sparse crowd game. It would be tough waiting all day Saturday for the Sioux to win the tournament that night. I know I probably would be more tipsy than usual having the whole day to hang out and wait.

im just surprised that they are cutting the third place game, strictly for monetary reasons. i realize that the final five has a nice ring to it, but noone can come up with a clever name for a six team tourney? wcha super six? there are endless possibilities if that is a sticking point. i realize the third place game has little meaning to those playing it, unless a win would help a bubble team get in and boost their pwr, but it is still a money maker for the wcha. i guess i don't get why they wouldn't have two games each day and try to increase the $$$$. also agree that moving the title game to sunday probably won't happen. either way, i won't miss the 3rd place game if they get rid of it, im just surpirsed their considering it.

It would be fun if they still played for 3rd on Saturday because then we would have something to do during the day. I guess then two teams would need to play a third game for the weekend and it might be more tiring with not as much to play for.

The more hockey the better and if the price wouldn't go up that much more for one more game (say around $25), I would be willing to pay for it.

I am all for keeping the five games because I can't get enough live hockey these days, but having two games Thursday and Friday make it tougher to get off of work and make the trip for most people. I think they should do the semifinal games Friday and Saturday with the Championship Sunday afternoon if they keep the five games. I like the idea of dropping the third place game because it always seems pretty uneventful anyway. I just hope the Sioux make it this year and Eidsness starts to take charge and control a game by making some big saves when we need them. It all starts with a strong goaltender as our backbone and we need him to step up as we know he can.

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,17895/WCHAExp...onExpected.html

It wouldn't be the Final Five if I couldn't look across the ice and see 01grad.

That said, from my own personal selfish perspective I'm all for 2 games on Thursday and 2 on Friday, 1 on Saturday.

I always felt like Thursday night's game was just a prelude to the big show. Then you have 1 big day, Friday. Saturday afternoon's game is kind of a 'bleh'. It's ok, but carries little of the emotion of the other games in the tournament. Then, of course, is the big showdown Saturday night.

To have 2 very important games on Thursday, IMO, would significantly increase the drama of the tournament.

With Saturday afternoon off, families from out of town could spend some time goofing off and doing whatever families want to do with some free time.

I do totally get that it requires extra time from work and might be more difficult for some people to attend. I'm a little neutral given that angle. But from a sporting perspective only, I think the 2-2-1 idea is exactly the way to go.

That said, from my own personal selfish perspective I'm all for 2 games on Thursday and 2 on Friday, 1 on Saturday.

I always felt like Thursday night's game was just a prelude to the big show. Then you have 1 big day, Friday. Saturday afternoon's game is kind of a 'bleh'. It's ok, but carries little of the emotion of the other games in the tournament. Then, of course, is the big showdown Saturday night.

To have 2 very important games on Thursday, IMO, would significantly increase the drama of the tournament.

With Saturday afternoon off, families from out of town could spend some time goofing off and doing whatever families want to do with some free time.

I do totally get that it requires extra time from work and might be more difficult for some people to attend. I'm a little neutral given that angle. But from a sporting perspective only, I think the 2-2-1 idea is exactly the way to go.

I kind of like the 2-2-1 format also. I love going down for the tournament, but the one downside is that I don't really have much time to do anything else that weekend. Having most of the day on Saturday to explore, visit friends or whatever would be a great break before the excitement and tension of a championship game. I attend the 3rd place game, but unless UND is playing it really doesn't hold a lot of interest.

I think it was already mentioned but what about a Final 6 with a 2-2-2 format. That would truly be the best of both worlds. 3-6 and 4-5 on thursday, winners vs. 1 & 2 on Friday, 3rd place and Championship game on Saturday. That being said I am biased as a current UND student because this normally the second weekend of our spring break meaning I can go on Thursday and Friday during the day with no problems.

Well said. Having 2 games on Thurs would make Thurs and Fri equally important. And Sat afternoon off would really be nice for people to go do other things. I think that a third place game would just be overkill.

I think it was already mentioned but what about a Final 6 with a 2-2-2 format. That would truly be the best of both worlds. 3-6 and 4-5 on thursday, winners vs. 1 & 2 on Friday, 3rd place and Championship game on Saturday. That being said I am biased as a current UND student because this normally the second weekend of our spring break meaning I can go on Thursday and Friday during the day with no problems.

I agree with this plan. Its a hell of a lot of Hockey for three days, but I think overall dumping the 3rd place game is not a good idea. Not only for the WCHA but it can have weight across the NCAA tourney PWR.

As for the two games Thurs., travel isn't that big of a deal. I guess I have noticed a lot of people don't even go the the Friday afternoon game untill midway through.

Another interesting angle from aparch on USCHO:

"Welcome to the CCHA Super Six Format.

I wish your attendance the best of luck on Thursday.

The third, fourth, fifth, and sixth seeded teams better hope they don't go three games for their playoff round. Win on Sunday afternoon/evening. Bus home Sunday night, turn around and head to the cities on Wednesday? Uffda."

Players will be really tired by the time NCAA's happen and hopefully no injuries.

...On a side note, I noticed that nobody started a thread over there (uscho) for the games this weekend. Maybe that means we have people jumping off the bandwagon and throwing in the towel already. At least we know who the true fans are now that will stick with the team through thick and thin.

Time to kill the Minnesota Rule

The coaches and administrators from ALL the WCHA schools approve the "Minnesota Rule" for 1 simple reason. It makes the most money possible for the WCHA. So the rule probably isn't going anywhere any time soon. The only time it makes a difference is the 3rd place game where it gives an advantage to the team that played on Friday afternoon. If they eliminate the 3rd place game it eliminates just about all advantage for the teams on the ice.

The coaches and administrators from ALL the WCHA schools approve the "Minnesota Rule" for 1 simple reason. It makes the most money possible for the WCHA. So the rule probably isn't going anywhere any time soon. The only time it makes a difference is the 3rd place game where it gives an advantage to the team that played on Friday afternoon. If they eliminate the 3rd place game it eliminates just about all advantage for the teams on the ice.

Will the Minny rule stay in place if the tourney moves to Madison/Milwaukee/Denver/Grand Forks? :ohmy:

Well said. Having 2 games on Thurs would make Thurs and Fri equally important. And Sat afternoon off would really be nice for people to go do other things. I think that a third place game would just be overkill.

Agreed on all these points.

While it might be harder for people to get off work for both Thurs and Fri now (time for me to burn another vacation day for the F5 next year!), this format would work the best IMO.

Have 2 games on Thurs/Fri, and then just one (the champ) on Saturday. No need for a 3rd place game. Gives people a chance to chill out and check out other things during the day on Saturday.

Plus, having a 3rd place game would make two more teams have the potential to play three games in three days. That's brutal, especially if they ended up going three games during the 1st round WCHA playoff.

Will the Minny rule stay in place if the tourney moves to Madison/Milwaukee/Denver/Grand Forks? :ohmy:

The Sioux were the #1 seed in 2000 when the tournament was in Wisconsin and the Badgers played the evening semi-final while UND played the afternoon semi-final. Yes, the rule has applied outside of the Xcel Energy Center, but only 1 Final Five in recent memory has been played outside of St Paul. That being said, it's time for the Minnesota rule to go. Funny that UMD won the Final Five last year, being the first play-in game winner to do so. However, had the Bulldogs had to play at 2:00 pm Friday instead of 7:00 pm Friday, my guess is they would have run out of gas.

The tournament probably isn't going any where else any time soon. I believe that they are/or recently have negotiated another 5 year contract with the Xcel Energy Center. The Ralph isn't big enough to hold the tournament. And the last time it moved to Milwaukee attendance was down. St. Paul is a very central location and makes too much sense financially for the WCHA to move it any place else right now.

But if it moved to a different venue the "Minnesota Rule" would probably change to attract the largest attendance. So it would become the "Madison", "Milwaukee", "Denver" or "Grand Forks" rule. The Final 5 is the main money maker for the WCHA so they are going to maximize revenue.

The Sioux were the #1 seed in 2000 when the tournament was in Wisconsin and the Badgers played the evening semi-final while UND played the afternoon semi-final. Yes, the rule has applied outside of the Xcel Energy Center, but only 1 Final Five in recent memory has been played outside of St Paul. That being said, it's time for the Minnesota rule to go. Funny that UMD won the Final Five last year, being the first play-in game winner to do so. However, had the Bulldogs had to play at 2:00 pm Friday instead of 7:00 pm Friday, my guess is they would have run out of gas.

I think you mean 1998, but the same still applies. The 2000 Final Five was at the Target Center, and we won it as, I think, the #2 seed.

Keep in mind that the "Minnesota Rule" has benefitted UND as a #1 Seed in a couple instances when UM was a #2 or #3. We got the Play-In Winner on short rest during Friday afternoon a couple times. Minnesota is NEVER afforded this benefit when they finish #1.

The tournament probably isn't going any where else any time soon. I believe that they are/or recently have negotiated another 5 year contract with the Xcel Energy Center. The Ralph isn't big enough to hold the tournament. And the last time it moved to Milwaukee attendance was down. St. Paul is a very central location and makes too much sense financially for the WCHA to move it any place else right now.

But if it moved to a different venue the "Minnesota Rule" would probably change to attract the largest attendance. So it would become the "Madison", "Milwaukee", "Denver" or "Grand Forks" rule. The Final 5 is the main money maker for the WCHA so they are going to maximize revenue.

I don't think the WCHA need to move Minnesota into the night game to maximize their profits, they would still go to the game if it was held at 1400 hours. Last year the tourney was well attended and Minnesota only played one game.

I don't think the WCHA need to move Minnesota into the night game to maximize their profits, they would still go to the game if it was held at 1400 hours. Last year the tourney was well attended and Minnesota only played one game.

They have only sold out a few games. That means for most games, even Minnesota games, there are seats left to sell. And afternoon games have lower attendance no matter who plays, even Minnesota, because a lot of local people don't want to take vacation time for a sporting event. Many of the people that take vacation are the ones that come from outside schools to attend the entire tournament. So it only makes sense that they will sell more tickets for a Minnesota game at night than during the day, and they will sell more tickets for a Minnesota game than any other team. That's why they want Minnesota playing in the evening rather than the afternoon. They would make money no matter when Minnesota plays, or even if Minnesota plays. But they make more money with Minnesota playing evenings.

So we can afford our high quality officiating crew?

We go for the hockey and to spend time with Sioux fans. The 2-2-2 format on Thursday - Saturday is just fine. I take the whole day off any way on Thursday to drive down (3 hours or so). Saturday morning brunch at Hoggsbreath (right MafiaMan!!) for Sioux fans is a great time. We sit beside a couple of great Gopher fans ( they won't cheer for the Sioux and we won't cheer for the Gophers). They can have a naming contest for the six team event. Even with low attendance at some of the games, this tournament outdraws any other conference tournament by far. It is all about the hockey, even if Dagies is trying to call security on me!