SiouxSports.com Forum

Development around The Alerus

The Sicatoka

Any new developments if this group is still trying to go ahead with a museum, hockey hall of fame?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is interesting that the Dakota Science Center sold their building downtown and no longer have any facilities. They put it up for sale anticipating a sale would take more than one year and then had a buyer almost immediately, so they took the offer. The musem/HOF was supposed to be multifaceted with different wings (hockey, autos?, planes?, agriculture, local interest, science), and a Science Center/Exploreum would be needed for kid's interest and for variety. Coincidence? Maybe someone else here has more info than my speculation.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week, Canad Inn owner Ledohowski and the Winnipeg BlueBombers announced they were looking into the feasibility of a partially enclosed new stadium, with an attached water park, and a major hotel looking over the stadium's endzone. Wonder where he got those ideas? :silly: It would seem much of the impetus for Fargo to build a downtown arena complex would be to compete with the new Alerus / Canad complex. Some articles:

Crossroads for BlueBombers

Daring to Dream

Could Be Some Sporting Spinoffs

Canad Inns president says expects spring construction on Grand Forks hotel

GRAND FORKS, N.D. - The president of the Canad Inns says a proposed entertainment complex in Winnipeg is not a threat to the hotel complex his company plans to build in this city.

Canad Inns recently announced plans to study the idea of a sports complex on Winnipeg's west side, including a water park and a football stadium. The company also is planning a $40 million complex, including a water park, in Grand Forks.

Canad Inn President Leo Ledohowski said construction should start in the next couple of months on the Grand Forks project, and he sees no problems with having two water parks within a couple of hours of each other.

"My sense is, it adds rather than subtracts because it broadens the market," he said.

A large entertainment complex takes time, he said. The Grand Forks project is to feature a luxury hotel, a number of restaurants, a theater and an arcade.

One of the wild cards coming out of these World Junior's could be:

Would the IIHF consider Winnipeg and Grand Forks as co-hosts for a future World Hockey championship? Winnipeg would host Canadian team games at the new MTS Centre (Canad has also invested near that arena) while GF would host American games at Engelstad. That is the tournament Europeans really get into and would attend in large numbers. Since the tourney is in early April, weather would not be nearly the concern. Canad Inns could be the corporate mover and shaker to help make it happen.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, Grand Forks:

QUIT TRYING TO BE LIKE FARGO!!! You'll never be able to do it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

TheBisonator,

Very funny. :glare: Maybe you should go back to supporting your "D-I" Bison sports programs! By the looks of it, they need all the help they can get. :)

Grand Forks is simply trying to grow its economy, create jobs and keep our youth here as much as we can. These are the same challenges other cities in North Dakota are facing. Apparently, you are one of those "Imperial Cass County" boosters that doesn't like seeing any kind of growth anywhere except in Fargo. Are you John Dorso in disguise? ???

Quit being a troll and go back to your precious little Bison! :huh:

We now return you to regularly scheduled bantering!!! ;)

Actually, with this talk about a new stadium with attached hotel in Winnipeg, it sounds more like Winnipeg is trying to be like Grand Forks. :glare: I love living in G.F. and every time new stores/restaurants/entertainment options open up, I am glad I live here even more. I think Grand Forks has a very bright future.

Having left GF 12 years ago there are times that I do miss the place. Since I married someone from Louisiana, the chances of me ever living there are slim. She's been to ND in March once and April once and she thought it was cold then.

Mostly what I miss is UND sports. I rarely missed a FB, BB or hockey game.

Heading up next week for the BB 100 years banquet and catch a few games. My dad played in the 50's. I can't wait to see an actual event at REA. I've been on tours of the place, but never seen a game there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It appears there will be a water park "boomlet" in the Red River Valley, as an upscale park will be built outside Winnipeg:

Resort, hotel to be built on outskirts of Winnipeg

Meanwhile, a theater "controversy" lingers for the new Canad Center,

Canad / theater update,

and the GFHerald editorial board can't seem to keep out of it:

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/n...on/10792597.htm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It is the end of march and I haven't seen or heard anything as far as construction beginning. Just wondering if anyone has heard any inside information as far as what is going on. I would think that we should be hearing something soon as far as finalized plans.

It is the end of march and I haven't seen or heard anything as far as construction beginning. Just wondering if anyone has heard any inside information as far as what is going on. I would think that we should be hearing something soon as far as finalized plans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bids have been placed and are being finalized.

• 7 months later...

I think the Canad and City Leaders should check this out.

I was living in Arizona when the new Glendale Arena was built. I got to go to the Coyotes last game at America West Arena and went to the second game in the new arena. They had a giant model of the planned developent around the arena and it was definately impressive.

• 3 weeks later...

They just reported on KVLY news that the Alerus Center is predicting a $144,000 loss. If this number is accurate it will be the most successful year since the Alerus Center opened. They stated that many of the regional and national conventions that the Al has applied for have told them to reapply once the attached hotel opens.

EDIT: I bet adding some DI Lacrosse games to the yearly schedule would help out that deficite! ;)

• 3 years later...