SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. SDSU

CoteauRinkRat

This weekend will be a real test. Not only is it a night game, but it is a tough place to play and we are coming off a real emotional win.

Our offense needs to step up right away in this game and get something done. We need a strong first half and set the tone of the game. Getting down early cannot happen.

Is it really necessary? Did you see Sapp skipping like that? He looked like an idiot. Let him make a fool of himself. Only reflects on him.

I say let history piss him off: After every game he skips, make him take a drug test :D

For those who don't recall: Sapp entered the league in trouble for drug violations so that should piss him off subsequenly enough to stop being an idiot... at least before the game.

This has been a strange series over the past dozen-or-so years. At home, UND has won by an average of 27 points since 1990 and is 6-0. However, at Brookings, UND is just 4-3 since 1990, and each of the losses occurred in years where the Sioux were considered a heavy favorite, i.e. the NCC title and playoff semi-final year of 1993, the Callahan/Tibesar, et al. senior year of 1996, and the NCC title year of 1999. If the Sioux can play defense as they did against Augie and in the second half against St. Cloud, and don't turn the ball over, I like our chances. If the defense struggles and/or there is more than one turnover, then a win is probably unlikely. This is UND's toughest road NCC game, so a win would be huge.

If the Sioux can play defense as they did against Augie and in the second half against St. Cloud, and don't turn the ball over, I like our chances.  If the defense struggles and/or there is more than one turnover, then a win is probably unlikely.  This is UND's toughest road NCC game, so a win would be huge.

I've been avoiding pre-game comments on this because it feels like I don't have much new to say: this is a key game, the Sioux face their biggest test yet, the defense has to hold, we have to be positive on turnovers.

However, that's the way this season has been going. The Sioux have only looked good offensively when the defense is holding up. Each game has cumulatively introduced a new challenge. It'll be interesting to see how Wilson manages the most unfriendly environment the Sioux will see this season. SDSU's defense definitely seemed to confuse Stauss, but he's never been paritcularly impressive for his awareness of the field. From the NDSU game, I was most surprised to see that SDSU could not put together a running game at all. While the Sioux might not be quite as talented there as NDSU, I think we could actually do a better job at secondary than NDSU did.

Dear Prof. McKenzie, hasenpfeffer, bison, it's all the same. It's what's for dinner! :0:D

This will be UND's only night game and it is outdoors. (They only have one outdoor game remaining: at Mankato.)

Based on how it looked out my window this morning, I decided to look into the forecast for Brookings, SD.

Call me a nostalgic old geezer if you will (heck, everyone else does), but I sure do miss the days of afternoon games outdoors on grass at SDSU's Coughlin Alumni Stadium. You couldn't ask for better conditions for sports photography.

I also like the Jacks' old uniforms much better. Whose idea was it to put fruity yellow facemasks on the helmets? Yuk.

Now, seeing the Jacks get thumped repeatedly by UND and NDSU during my four years at SDSU, that's another story.

NDSU_SDSU.jpg

10-21 4:52 remaining in the 3rd, the Sioux got on the board. A turnover gave the Sioux the ball on about the 45, a single long bomb to Lueck brought us to the 5. Roland ran it in.

10-24 with about 11 mins remaining in the game. We're still taking penalties, giving up a lot of yards to the SDSU offense, the Jackrabbits are getting 1st downs pretty much at will. It doesn't look like SDSU is going do a Minnesota for us, but there's certainly plenty of time for UND to score 2 TDs; the big question is can the Sioux contain the Jacks offense?

17-24 6 mins remaining. The Sioux got an interception just as the Jacks seemed poised to score. UND drove down to the 10 and got stopped up. On a 4th and 10, Bowenkamp completed a pass to Ahlers.

That was a gusty call by Lennon to go for two. While listening I was wondering what he was doing going for the two. Hats off to the Sioux for this week. I can't wait until next Saturday. Two undefeated teams in the NCC and probably will be the #2 and #3 teams in the Midwest Region doing battle.

I couldn't ask for a better way to play possibly the last Nickel battle.