SiouxSports.com Forum

USF @ Fighting Sioux - GDT

Shawn-O

Yes, Mesa did make the playoffs that year. But if you put USF in the RMAC, they would be in the D-II playoffs every year as well.

I looked it up. At the time that Mesa beat UND, Mesa was coming off a 5-6 season and had lost its season opener the previous week 42-16 to Central Oklahoma. At the time it happened, this was a much worse loss.

Let's face it, it's USF's NAIA label that no one can get past. ;)

This guy does this stuff for a living, maybe we should listen to him.... :D Good Posts

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is some funny stuff on this board..... Now USD has joined the keyboard warriors!!! I do recall all this or UND is going to waffelstomp USF, Didn't happen and will someone please stop beating the were injured dead horse theres nothing left..... As far as playing USD sure were game will it happen? probably not, Augie nope and SDSU again nope, I respect UND for taking that chance in playing USF. The NAIA label will be with us for a couple of more years but i'm sure UND is getting over there D2 label too. USF would love to expand BUT if you havent been on campus or around it there really isn't any where else to go. They fill our old practice field with car lots and a few more dorms, we just do not have the space where we are located at to expand to 5000 students, Think were rocking around 1200 or so, i suppose we could just doze down some houses next to campus. And the thing about the players not making your roster PLEASE! Just because your higher division? Come'on theres a reason why these kids play for USF, they like the coaches and they just win most of the kids that get recruited are local kids, some Wyoming, there has been some from ILL in the past couple of years but majority of the students are local Sioux Falls area players. Im sure you have a ton of local projects playing for your team too. WE can banter about this and that but its simple. Until the game is played there isn't anything to talk about. It's all speculation

There is some funny stuff on this board..... Now USD has joined the keyboard warriors!!! I do recall all this or UND is going to waffelstomp USF, Didn't happen and will someone please stop beating the were injured dead horse theres nothing left..... As far as playing USD sure were game will it happen? probably not, Augie nope and SDSU again nope, I respect UND for taking that chance in playing USF. The NAIA label will be with us for a couple of more years but i'm sure UND is getting over there D2 label too. USF would love to expand BUT if you havent been on campus or around it there really isn't any where else to go. They fill our old practice field with car lots and a few more dorms, we just do not have the space where we are located at to expand to 5000 students, Think were rocking around 1200 or so, i suppose we could just doze down some houses next to campus. And the thing about the players not making your roster PLEASE! Just because your higher division? Come'on theres a reason why these kids play for USF, they like the coaches and they just win most of the kids that get recruited are local kids, some Wyoming, there has been some from ILL in the past couple of years but majority of the students are local Sioux Falls area players. Im sure you have a ton of local projects playing for your team too. WE can banter about this and that but its simple. Until the game is played there isn't anything to talk about. It's all speculation

Agreed. USF came into Grand Forks and took care of business. No excuses.

Yote, are you done hatin on Sioux Falls yet? You have been for the past week or so....hows the crow fella?

After the way the Sioux handled the Yotes..and the way the Coo handled the Sioux....you should probably just stop talkin, cuz you have no angle here.

This just in....and what USF fans already knew coming into this game....Lorenzo Brown is harder to stop than yer fella.....just ask all the Sioux fans who kept telling us that this weekend....not to mention the USF defense knows how to bull their neck a bit and come up and make a tackle.

I know your peeps (Yotes fans) and the Augie people were gonna love to see the Coo get "put in their place"....but now ya kinda look foolish huh. It just kills ya that USF came into UND and lowered the boom on the Sioux....you can't make all your little "they don't play anybody" jokes anymore. What are you gonna say now..? USF got lucky....for an entire 60 minutes.. :D

Later

Comparative scoring? You should know better than that.

How is it hating by saying USD would beat USF? How is it hating by saying UND took you guys lightly? They obviously did because by most accounts that was the worst performance by an uninspired UND football team in years.

I fully agree, comparative scoring is less than ideal....but in this case they played at the same venue literally 2 weeks later....and the outcome was night and day different. Kinda hard to ignore that..

While I think UND did look uninspired, I think USF coming down and punching them in the mouth at the opening bell kinda had something to do with that. Sometimes when a team doesn't play well, the opposition has a lot to do with that. USF put the Sioux on their back early in this one. Maybe USF was just better prepared, better coached, and more inspired, than your Yotes....?

Yotes....I know you don't wanna think about this, but maybe USF has a pretty good football team....not because they have the best athletes in the area out of high school...but because the coaching staff develops good (not exceptional) athletes into very good football players, and uses better schemes than just about any other team in the region. UND watched film of USF, yet they looked like they didn't have a clue when they got out their in the first half....that was because USF has so many different looks and variations. How about you start to give USF some credit for what they've created, instead of trying to find reasons to knock them down, despite their success..

I fully agree, comparative scoring is less than ideal....but in this case they played at the same venue literally 2 weeks later....and the outcome was night and day different. Kinda hard to ignore that..

While I think UND did look uninspired, I think USF coming down and punching them in the mouth at the opening bell kinda had something to do with that. Sometimes when a team doesn't play well, the opposition has a lot to do with that. USF put the Sioux on their back early in this one. Maybe USF was just better prepared, better coached, and more inspired, than your Yotes....?

Yotes....I know you don't wanna think about this, but maybe USF has a pretty good football team....not because they have the best athletes in the area out of high school...but because the coaching staff develops good (not exceptional) athletes into very good football players, and uses better schemes than just about any other team in the region. UND watched film of USF, yet they looked like they didn't have a clue when they got out their in the first half....that was because USF has so many different looks and variations. How about you start to give USF some credit for what they've created, instead of trying to find reasons to knock them down, despite their success..

I can't disagree. And frankly it's inexcusable for that to happen.

I don't think I ever said USF has a horrible football team.

Also, those were not the same venues, same building, not the same environment. USD played them on homecoming, in front of almost 12,000 screaming fans in a rivalry game that UND wanted badly. USF played in front of a half full, quite arena, against a team that was unprepared and uninspired.

I wouldn't say USD was uninspired in their game, I think they were ready to play. I could argue that this game was USF's Super Bowl, that they had pretty much all season to prepare for it given the total lack of competition they have come up against so far this season and really no other team to worry about the following week, and that they took full advantage of the situation for which I do have to give them credit. Given all these factors I would say that USF was the better team than UND on that given Saturday. Now, if they were scheduled to play again this week, I would take my mortgage payment and bet it on the Sioux because I doubt that ever happens again.

I also agree. While us UND fans were embarrasseed by our play and lack of effort, you guys have an excellent team and certainly deserved to win that game. You outplayed us in all aspects!

Okay we get it. It was a milestone in both USF and UND football history. As great coaches say you celebrate a victory for a day, you reflect on a loss for an hour. Then you move on. Can we please close this thread and have USF Guy move on - I suggest this in only the most respectful of tone.

This guy does this stuff for a living, maybe we should listen to him.... :D Good Posts

I'm not trying to get into it with you, but I feel a need to explain again why Sioux fans are so upset and feel that this is the worst loss ever. Yes, part of it is losing to an NAIA team and seeing our discussion board turn in to a smack talk between South Dakota schools, with one of them describing how they kicked our butts. However, the way we played on Saturday is a big factor also. After their first drive, I thought "Wow, the Sioux have some work to do and adjustments to make". After the second drive I was still waiting for us to adjust. After the third drive, I was getting impatient and frustrated. When they came out after the half and did the same thing, I couldn't believe it. The people around me in the stands were able to look at their formations and predict trouble. I have never seen a coaching staff who was as consistantly outsmarted. They were always 2 steps ahead of us. It looked like we just sat back and let them dictate the game to us. When they decided to take Bamba out of the kickoff returns, we never tried to make them pay for it. We just decided to fair catch the ball no matter how much running room was available and made no effort to adjust our personnel. Coaches and players were in a completely submissive mode and let an NAIA school take it to us at home. We just didn't show up for the whole game.

Because we don't have direct contact with the coaches, many of us are not sure that the coaching staff "gets it". The light certainly never went on during the game.

I'm not trying to get into it with you, but I feel a need to explain again why Sioux fans are so upset and feel that this is the worst loss ever. Yes, part of it is losing to an NAIA team and seeing our discussion board turn in to a smack talk between South Dakota schools, with one of them describing how they kicked our butts. However, the way we played on Saturday is a big factor also. After their first drive, I thought "Wow, the Sioux have some work to do and adjustments to make". After the second drive I was still waiting for us to adjust. After the third drive, I was getting impatient and frustrated. When they came out after the half and did the same thing, I couldn't believe it. The people around me in the stands were able to look at their formations and predict trouble. I have never seen a coaching staff who was as consistantly outsmarted. They were always 2 steps ahead of us. It looked like we just sat back and let them dictate the game to us. When they decided to take Bamba out of the kickoff returns, we never tried to make them pay for it. We just decided to fair catch the ball no matter how much running room was available and made no effort to adjust our personnel. Coaches and players were in a completely submissive mode and let an NAIA school take it to us at home. We just didn't show up for the whole game.

Because we don't have direct contact with the coaches, many of us are not sure that the coaching staff "gets it". The light certainly never went on during the game.

I'm connecting your post, Irish, with the one from The Sicatoka yesterday...

And that encapsulates the mistake. The continuing mistake.

What's the area code down in Sioux Falls? I want to have it around, just in case nobody is listening.

They better start "getting it" or there will be calls to the 605 area code.

Other than regrettable comments by the UND coaching staff after the game, who's been beating the injury dead horse? I don't sense that the UND fans are using injuries as an excuse whatsoever. There are no excuses. I think the common consensus on this board is that Sioux Falls outplayed, outworked, outsmarted, and especially outcoached UND in all phases of the game for 60 minutes.

UND folks, I'm sorry for your message board turning into the "why we handled the Sioux"....etc. Frankly I felt fired upon and a general lack of respect (still do) from Yote as he's heavily implied that this was a lucky win on all fronts. Yote....you still wont give USF any credit for this win....that's fine, I get it....hater..

How good a team is coached and the adjustments made within a game have a lot to do with shaping how good a football team is....it's not only about the athletes you have out there. Coaching can play a HUGE part in how good a football team is..or how they seemingly under-perform with easily superior talent. USF is FAR BETTER coached than UND..and that's not a 1 game thing. I hate to say it, but Kalen DeBoer has already gotten offers in the past..and will continue to in the future by much bigger schools than USF. I hope he doesn't leave, but I wouldn't be suprised to see him at one of the schools mentioned on the thread here in the coming years if they make him a huge offer. If he's got the talent of the UND team..and plays an NAIA team....this game would have been over at half. Wait a second....this one already was..

UND folks, I'm sorry for your message board turning into the "why we handled the Sioux"....etc. Frankly I felt fired upon and a general lack of respect (still do) from Yote as he's heavily implied that this was a lucky win on all fronts. Yote....you still wont give USF any credit for this win....that's fine, I get it....hater..

How good a team is coached and the adjustments made within a game have a lot to do with shaping how good a football team is....it's not only about the athletes you have out there. Coaching can play a HUGE part in how good a football team is..or how they seemingly under-perform with easily superior talent. USF is FAR BETTER coached than UND..and that's not a 1 game thing. I hate to say it, but Kalen DeBoer has already gotten offers in the past..and will continue to in the future by much bigger schools than USF. I hope he doesn't leave, but I wouldn't be suprised to see him at one of the schools mentioned on the thread here in the coming years if they make him a huge offer. If he's got the talent of the UND team..and plays an NAIA team....this game would have been over at half. Wait a second....this one already was..

We get it, we know what you think. Nobody from UND is arguing with you. You are doing a very good job of living up to the reputation that Sioux Falls fans have.

Sioux83, I'm done battling on here. It's just been unreal for us USF folks that our Coo can't get a lick of respect from SD people even after their only non-NAIA game in recent history. Oh well..

Frankly...98% of the people on this board seem like really good fans who can see things from both sides of the tracks.

Sorry that the USF versus USD/Augie banter spilled over to here.

I'm done.