SiouxSports.com Forum

UND blamed for Chapman resigning

darell1976

I don't really see the big deal here. Not in the slightest.

Did he do anything illegal?

[b]I would even go so far as to question if it was unethical.

Like I said, he was worth every penny and then some.

Sounds like my co-worker explaining why cheating on his wife was justified.

Wasn't illegal, definately worth it.

Not unethical if you knew how much she was worth it.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would even go so far as to question if it was unethical.

I can't say I'm surprised by this attitude. :)

Again, no.

You're way overblowing this. Probably on purpose, as some sort of fantasy about destroying NDSU's reputation :D

Judging from your other posts in this thread, I don't think you have a very firm grasp on reality, at least in regard to this subject. :)

Don't be suprised if the IRS has him on their speed dial by now!

To not even consider his behavior unethical speaks volume to your character or lack there of! :)

I am not in the position to question someone elses Ethics and I don't believe anyone else is either. That being said, there is ramifications if a leaders' ethics differ from the majority and this may be one of those events. How many more scholarships could have been offered over the last 10 years if all of this money wasn't spent like this? How many educational programs could have been started with this money? How many top tier educators could have been saved by giving raises with this money? The point being is that I am sure many other programs around the University could have benefited more from this, than using it the way they did. The second a leader puts his personal success before that of his institution is the second he should be stepping down from that position, and I think thats the position it got to IMHO.

I am not in the position to question someone elses Ethics and I don't believe anyone else is either. That being said, there is ramifications if a leaders' ethics differ from the majority and this may be one of those events. How many more scholarships could have been offered over the last 10 years if all of this money wasn't spent like this? How many educational programs could have been started with this money? How many top tier educators could have been saved by giving raises with this money? The point being is that I am sure many other programs around the University could have benefited more from this, than using it the way they did. The second a leader puts his personal success before that of his institution is the second he should be stepping down from that position, and I think thats the position it got to IMHO.

Zero extra scholarships.

Zero educational programs.

Zero educators saved.

Those are the honest answers to your questions. Chapman would never do anything that would detract from the school in any way.

I see this as nothing more than paying the man what he's worth and due.

Zero extra scholarships.

Zero educators saved.

Those are the honest answers to your questions. Chapman would never do anything that would detract from the school in any way.

By breaking whatever rules or policies that are in the way?

On the news I see Chapman was giving tours of his new mansion today. The timing of that seems a little strange. You would think he might not want to draw attention to his palace this week. It apparently doesn't bother him. I guess it confirms the arrogamce he has.

I would even go so far as to question if it was unethical.

Spending state money in a manner specifically against the law was illegal. Ask Sandy Blunt how that works out.

Also his junket with his family charged to the University was the same in my book as thieving.

He's a crook in my opinion.

On the news I see Chapman was giving tours of his new mansion today. The timing of that seems a little strange. You would think he might not want to draw attention to his palace this week. It apparently doesn't bother him. I guess it confirms the arrogamce he has.

Was he wearing his hat?

st_edwards_crown.jpg

Zero extra scholarships.

Zero educators saved.

Those are not honest answers to questions and I would like to hear the reasoning behind this and how you came to your conclusion. If all donors to the NDSU foundation are told that not a dollar is going to go towards scholarships, educational programs, or educators, then what is the point of donating? It is a University and the 1st point of a university is to educate students. I would like to see you tell the donors that to their face and expect them to ever donate again. Bottom line is he used NDSU for his own financial gain, end of story.

You wouldn't care in the slightest if it was UND's president.

Actually I'm pretty ticked off that Kupchella retired a long time before he quit drawing a paycheck and I'm no fan of Kelly either.

In fact I've NEVER been accused of being a friend to the local powers that be. In fact I think I've been accused of being just the opposite. I think they kinda hate me even.

But go ahead, make excuses for a guy that many (such as I) consider a crook.

Since no one has answered the question so far, I will.

Yes. He did.

Knowingly and willfully violating a legislated spending appropriation is a violation of the North Dakota Century Code (that's state law for those of you unfamiliar with ND law).

That is why budget committee legislators have used the phrase "criminal investigation".

Oh, if your number is off, there is a process to "fix" it and it's pretty simple. However, that process does not involve ignoring the appropriated limit and doing whatever you want.

This is an email from State Sen. John Andrist posted at Bisonville. Here are his concerns:

1. Any money spent on state property for the state must be appropriated. If there is a problem with an appropriation, not enough money, unforeseen circumstances, whatever, an administrator can propose a fix to the budget section. They meet quarterly, and normally consent to 10 or 12 revisions. In five sessions as a member of the appropriations committee I never heard the suggestion that "we spent the money because we didn't understand the law". So we are suppose to believe that NDSU financial administrators didn't understand what they were doing was illegal?

2. They spent about half a million in state money (in addition to the half million overrun paid by the foundation). You don't have to be an administrator to know that is a crime. Window dress it if you please.

3. Nobody, but nobody with a decent set of values would justify spending $22,000 to take his family to Washington, no matter where the money came from. The UND president flew coach for $500. The inauguration is a time of celebration. Nobody gets work done in that city at that time.

4. He and his wife, who sat on the committee directing construction, had to be complicit in the excess. They knew at the very beginning before they issued contracts that the house plan could not be built for $900,000. That's deceit of the highest order. Unless you have the mindset that you are above the law you wouldn't try defend it.

So he did great things for the university. But what he, the university and the foundation have done is a crime, pure and simple. Now you can say, if you want, it's okay to commit crimes in the name of doing good work. That's your value (and obviously Joe's value), not mine. You say you are not understanding at what point any wrong doing occurred?

I spend a lot of time in Fargo. I made 51 trips there when my wife was dying of cancer. Tha'ts 40,000 miles, because I have three children living there and because you have a great cancer center. I know a lot of Fargo people, work closely with some great Fargo legislators. And I know I've been guilty of rationalizing a wrong from time to time. But that doesn't make it right.

I'm a journalist and a business man by profession and a philanthropist (in my own small way) by avocation. I still serve on three foundation boards. I would never ever spend money the way the NDSU foundation has spent it to placate Joe Chapman's ego, and try to justify it. People are giving a piece of their lives when they give significant sums of money. They deserve better.

John Andrist

I'm appauled by this allegation, but I should state this:

Fargo has a very small, very poor Jewish community. Every year, I don't know how Temple Beth El stays afloat. I'm surprised they can even pay the monthly bills.

Yet every year, the Chapmans (or Carnivore Catering, whichever NDSU-related entity) provides food for our community seder... at least the brisket for it as well as (I think) several supplies and cooking staff. This means that Temple Beth El can allow the Jewish community to come to the seder free of charge.

This is HUGE for them. Why? Because every time they've tried to charge for congregation members to attend religious functions such as this, they've never even come close to breaking even, much less making any sort of profit.

So, this coming spring, the question is: What's going to happen?

More than likely, if this was a Chapman-based donation, the function will simply cease. And, yeah, that seems very leech like and negative to say...and I admit that those problems aren't really Chapman's concern nor especially NDSU's.

And this certainly isn't the Temple's primary issue (which I think is mainly a congregation that doesn't tithe or even give any semblence of membership dues), but it is sad to see happen.

I thought all this Chapman bashing (and rightful most of it) could use a tinge of some positives they've done for the community. From a staunch UND supporter to boot.

I'm appauled by this allegation, but I should state this:

Fargo has a very small, very poor Jewish community. Every year, I don't know how Temple Beth El stays afloat. I'm surprised they can even pay the monthly bills.

:)

Yet every year, the Chapmans (or Carnivore Catering, whichever NDSU-related entity) provides food for our community seder... at least the brisket for it as well as (I think) several supplies and cooking staff. This means that Temple Beth El can allow the Jewish community to come to the seder free of charge.

This is HUGE for them. Why? Because every time they've tried to charge for congregation members to attend religious functions such as this, they've never even come close to breaking even, much less making any sort of profit.

So, this coming spring, the question is: What's going to happen?

More than likely, if this was a Chapman-based donation, the function will simply cease. And, yeah, that seems very leech like and negative to say...and I admit that those problems aren't really Chapman's concern nor especially NDSU's.

And this certainly isn't the Temple's primary issue (which I think is mainly a congregation that doesn't tithe or even give any semblence of membership dues), but it is sad to see happen.

I thought all this Chapman bashing (and rightful most of it) could use a tinge of some positives they've done for the community. From a staunch UND supporter to boot.

Thanks for introducing RELIGION into this political and ethical issue! it just makes us MORE ROUNDED imo :D

So Joe and Gayle push for the new President's home to be done ahead of schedule, which sky rockets costs. This "Foundation" knowingly picks a floor plan that will exceed the 900K budget and Gayle is on that Foundation board, and now because of the overrun costs on the house, it is reported that NDSU has kicked THOUSANDS of university and tax payers dollars to help pay for the overrun costs. Really amazing how so many want to give Joe and his wife a pass? :)

redwing:

I'm suspicious that Whistler is pretty close with this query.

Given what's been on display who do you want to bet was actually paying the bills for the donation?

I say that because:

According to figures provided by the Development Foundation, Chapman spent significantly more with the credit card in previous years. Between 2003-04 and 2007-08, the charges averaged more than $83,000.

It'd be interesting to see if that catering for seder shows up on any of those credit card histories.

So Joe and Gayle push for the new President's home to be done ahead of schedule, which sky rockets costs. This "Foundation" knowingly picks a floor plan that will exceed the 900K budget and Gayle is on that Foundation board, and now because of the overrun costs on the house, it is reported that NDSU has kicked THOUSANDS of university and tax payers dollars to help pay for the overrun costs. Really amazing how so many want to give Joe and his wife a pass? :)

Chapman defenders can't seem to differentiate between what UND and NDSU did:

Not only do Gale Chapman and the NDSU Foundation pick a floor plan that well exceeded the 900 k - legal - limit, but they then proceeded to add an additional room for $120 k.

They intentionally and shamelessly exceeded the SBoHE limits, which is basically a criminal act They never informed the SBoHE of any intended overages.

When the budget issues came to light, they attempted to blame flooding as the cause, instead of admitting the real issue.

Finally, the SBoHE wouldn't put up with Chapman giving them the finger any more.

There was a misunderstanding by both UND and NDSU and likely the SBoHE on the site preparation and landscaping charges: UND never purposefully intended to overrun the $900 K budget based on the house cost itself.

Chapman defenders can't seem to differentiate between what UND and NDSU did:

Not only do Gale Chapman and the NDSU Foundation pick a floor plan that well exceeded the 900 k - legal - limit, but they then proceeded to add an additional room for $120 k.

They intentionally and shamelessly exceeded the SBoHE limits, which is basically a criminal act They never informed the SBoHE of any intended overages.

When the budget issues came to light, they attempted to blame flooding as the cause, instead of admitting the real issue.

Finally, the SBoHE wouldn't put up with Chapman giving them the finger any more.

There was a misunderstanding by both UND and NDSU and likely the SBoHE on the site preparation and landscaping charges: UND never purposefully intended to overrun the $900 K budget based on the house cost itself.

Trying to make a mountain out of a mole-hill.

Proceed with your witch hunt. :)